Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mixed Species heritage

Question Mixed Species heritage

I was wondering if somone could give me a detailed run through from step: 1 to whatever on making a mixed species charactor... in despreate need of help for tomorrow i want him half brikarian ( New Fronteers)half human please help thank you...or if somone could give me a direct link to this problem thanks guys

------------------
    Korga =/\=

I'm Drunk of Borg Resistance is Floortile.

Must be one of the most difficult rules in LUG Trek, has been asked at least once since I am reading these boards....

1. Purchase the Mixed Species Heritage Advantage.

2. Look the two species templates (you have one for the Brikar, don't you?) and take any three attributes of the "dominant" species and the remaining attributes of the other species.

3. Take the template skills of the species the character grew up with.

4. Take the dominant species' dis-/advantages and decide if they apply for your character.
    (You might want to drop Code of Honor (Vulcan), if the character grew up among Humans for instance.)

You most likely end up with a character, who has a lot more template points than other species, but you are also paying Development Points on the Mixed-Advantage, which could have been used to buy new skills or improve attributes.

(Ever tried to "breed" the perfect template?
    One Klingon and one Vulcan grandfather, one Betazoid and one Zakdorn grandmother.....)

Originally posted by Keny Suda:
    (Ever tried to "breed" the perfect template?
    One Klingon and one Vulcan grandfather, one Betazoid and one Zakdorn grandmother.....)
    No, never tried to 'breed' it. But a player once asked if he could play a the child descended from Klingon, Betazoid, Vulcan, and Deltan grandparents.

As described the Character had the Strength of the Klingons and Vulcans, the back up organs of the Klingons, the intelligence of the Vulcans, the pheromones of the Deltans, the Psi Powers of the Vulcans and Betazoids and looked like a Betazoid (eg: Looked human)

Oddly enough I said no. That was taking the concept a little too far.

But then this was the player who changed his mind about playing a Vulcan because being logical didn't mean that the narrator told you what was going on... And he didn't get laid in game. (I would have suspicion's about real life, but he has kids).

Anyway we went back to Cyberpunk and he was happy... But thats an entire different thread...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

Im my Campaign at the moment, the Chief Security Officer is half Klingon/half Betazoid, with the dominant side being Klingon e.g. Fitness, Coordination and Intellect from the Klingon side, presence and psi from the Betazoid side. Also Klingon upbringing and temper.
    When we were generating the characters on the first evening, me and the player sat down for half an hour while we generated this character and by the way it is female and very dangerous.

------------------
    "Those Klingons are up to something, I can feel it in my bones"
    Cmmdr JT Wayland
    Strategic Operations Officer, Starbase 415, Dragomer Sector, Klingon Border, 2372

Back on topic. I usually prefer that a player give me a reasonable background as to their mixed heratige as well, especially if mixing two 'off the wall' species.

Examples of odd mixes that would require explanations would be; Klingon/Romulan, or Klingon/Brikar...

Species that would be more likely to kill each other than have kids...

I recently had to turn down a Klingon/Vulcan character (sorry Pookie) as the character was the offspring of a female pon farr, which the women do not undergo (IMHO and Peter David aside), unfortunatly the character simply did not allow for even slight alteration in its heratige.

However as an aside, if someone wants to play a mixed species with no advantages, ie: Simon Tarses and Belanna Torres, and only have either slightly pointed ears or a couple of minor bumps, cosmetic differences, but keeping a single species template I would allow that for free...

------------------
    Dan.

Originally posted by Dan Gurden:
    However as an aside, if someone wants to play a mixed species with no advantages, ie: Simon Tarses and Belanna Torres, and only have either slightly pointed ears or a couple of minor bumps, cosmetic differences, but keeping a single species template I would allow that for free...

One of our players wanted the Trill spots. We just made his grandfather a Trill and - there you are!

I have a solo player who's Deltan / Irish.

She, as a mixed-human was easy to figure out stats for because of how 'regular' the Humans tend to be. Just took the characteristics the other race had, (for instance, psi) and 'diluted' them slightly (-1 to Range, for instance) to make up for the mix.

Now, this wouldn't always be the case. For instance, Spock, due to his personal emotional nature, was considered by some as trying to be "more Vulcan than Vulcans."

So you'll find that SOME traits reinforce, while others dilute. I'd say if both species have high traits or low traits, you'd expect them to reinforce, SLIGHTLY, but if the traits contradict (one species with a 2 strength, one with a 5 strength), you'd average them, rather than giving the higher trait. That should help remove the temptation to create God-characters.

But that's just me.

------------------
    "Guchk *Cough* muu ougtgha hrrgh!" -- Cmdr. An-tule Lemayan, USS Boadicea
    "I'd have to say that's the worst case of smuush I've ever seen." -- Dr. Sonachai Smith, CMO, USS Boadicea

Mixed species heritage, though an interesting idea, I would think would be pretty darn unlikely due to the differing genetics and psyonomy.

Klingons and other with extra organs breeding with dissimilar races would need a lot of help from geneticists to get the 'mix' right. There woul almost definitely be problems of hormonal imbalance, increased risk of cnacer and other genetic anomalies.

And with the UFP's squirmy attitude toward genetic manipulation, I doubt there would be a lot of support for the technology.

I try to disuade my players from combos that wouldn't be more likely: Romulan/Vulcan -- pretty much two related subspecies; Bajoran, Betazoid, Deltan and Human all seem psyologically similar.

The Andorians -- in my opion -- wouldn't be able to breed with anything off Andor, since theirs is a completely differing set of biology: cobalt-based blood would be poisonous to most iron/copper based blood. The embryo would cork it just from exposure. Not to mention the funky cartlidge-based skeletal system, etc..etc..

We've got the ocasional half-breed in the game, but the are RARE and usually require a lot of attention.

Originally posted by qerlin:
    The Andorians -- in my opion -- wouldn't be able to breed with anything off Andor, since theirs is a completely differing set of biology: cobalt-based blood would be poisonous to most iron/copper based blood. The embryo would cork it just from exposure. Not to mention the funky cartlidge-based skeletal system, etc..etc..
    Although it's mentioned that Andorians and Bolians have compatible blood. Biochemistry and Genetics indicate that this would make their tissues either similar enough or neutral enough to each other to allow for crossbreeding with a minimum of fuss.

My general rule of thumb is that the UFP allows for genetic manipulation to cause a viable fertilization in mixed-race couples, but that multiple logs are made of the procedure to watch for signs of anything that goes 'over the edge' into clear Nietzcheism.

BJ

If you remember Bashier was capable and happy to help Jadzia and Worf try for a child.

OK, as a sideline, how about species we know are compatible...

Vulcan/Romulan... Duh.

Romulan/Human - Sela, Simon Tarses
    Klingon/Romulan - Romulan prison colony from 'Birthright'.
    Klingon/Human - Belanna
    Vulcan/Human - Spock
    Betazoid/Human - Troi
    Trill/Klingon - Difficult but possible 'Children of Time'.
    Human/Ktarian - Naomi Wildman, sub-unit of Ensign Samantha Wildman.
    Human/Ocampa - Kes and Paris's daughter from the time travel episode end of Voyager season 3 (name eludes me).
    Bajoran/Cardassian - Tora Ziyal.

Looking at this list it appears that the two most common compatable species are humans and Klingons, probably due to the generic nature of Humans and the hardy nature of Klingons.

Remember that in the TNG episode 'The Chase' they traced the origins of most humanoid life to a single source of genetic seeding. So perhaps compatability isnt as much of a problem as any of us might think...

------------------
    Dan.

[This message has been edited by Dan Gurden (edited 01-19-2001).]

Klingon/Human - Belanna
    In addition to B'Elanna, don't forget K'Ehleyer, Worf's mate and Alexander's mother.

I was just about to agree with your assessment on the ease of Klingon/Human mating, but then I remembered that next week's new episode of Voyager is supposed to deal with the potential offspring of B'Elanna and Tom Paris, and the trailer makes it seem there may be some incompatability problem...

Originally posted by VulcanJoe:
    I was just about to agree with your assessment on the ease of Klingon/Human mating, but then I remembered that next week's new episode of Voyager is supposed to deal with the potential offspring of B'Elanna and Tom Paris, and the trailer makes it seem there may be some incompatability problem...
    Dont get me wrong, I dont disagree with potential problems, for canon proof simply look at Worfs comments about surviving a mating with a Klingon, and Bashiers efforts to allow Jadzia and Worf to try for children.

However they should be risks, with a possible chance of success, because in the 'Children of Time' we clearly see some offspring with Klingon gentic traces in a situation where the advanced medical sciences of the Federation was not available.

------------------
    Dan.

No, never tried to 'breed' it. But a player once asked if he could play a the child descended from Klingon, Betazoid, Vulcan, and Deltan grandparents.
    -Given the diploid nature of human genetics,

-and since at least three of those species are compatable with us and can be assumed to have similar genetics

-and though some small amount of mixing occurs in the creation of the gamete

Basically, only two of the grandparents' genetics traits would express themselves in the child; so that would not work. I wouldn't allow it in my capaign for rather sound scientific reasons.

I recently had to turn down a Klingon/Vulcan character (sorry Pookie) as the character was the offspring of a female pon farr, which the women do not undergo (IMHO and Peter David aside), unfortunatly the character simply did not allow for even slight alteration in its heratige.
    Is there any evindence that only Vulcan males go through Pon Farr? Do you use T'Pring's state of mind in _Amok Time_ as eveidence?

I saw no such reference in the encyclopedia; and we have not had any major Vulcan characters that were female for comparison.

Personally, I have allowed Vulcan/Klingons in my campaign. (I would have to; one of my major NPCs is one!) But, of course, they would be exceedingly rare; and the reasons for their existence would have to well-explained.

Originally posted by First of Two:
    I have a solo player who's Deltan / Irish.
    These would have to be exceptional (and from a Deltan standpoint aberrant) circumastances. Deltans would be highly unlikely to take advantage of a sexually immature species like a human.

...and the last time I checked 'Irish' wasn't a species