Thread: "Free Enterprise" sequel

Cool "Free Enterprise" sequel

From the TREK TODAY website:

Writer Mark Altman said recently he and Robert Meyer Burnett are developing a sequel to 1998's 'Free Enterprise'.

Asked about the possibility of a spin-off television series by Entertainment Zone's Laura Alber and Albert L. Ortega, Altman let slip that although a series could happen, a sequel to the film is currently in the works.

"Well, there is some truth to that [TV series possibility], although it's more likely that we'll be doing a sequel first," he said. "Rob and I are writing the script now and [William] Shatner's onboard and we have a great idea so that's a bit of an exclusive. We haven't really announced this yet."

The original film starred Eric McCormack (Will & Grace) and Rafer Weigel as two twenty-something Trekkies who happen to meet William Shatner (James T. Kirk) in a bookstore and are shocked to discover what their idol is truly like. In the film, Shatner played Bill, a larger-than-life version of himself who is planning a musical version of William Shakespeare's 'Julius Caesar,' with all roles to be played by him.

Although initially reluctant to make a sequel, Altman said the film's premise is now taking shape. "I didn't really want to do a sequel, but Rob and I came up with a great idea that we took to Shatner that he loved and proceeded to make even better and now it's taken on a life of its own. It's sort of Curb Your Enthusiasm meets 'Swingers.'"

Hey, it's Hugh again... You know, I LOVED "Free Enterprise", and I can't wait to see the sequel. Should be a hoot!

H.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Shatner rapping "Julius Caesar" was priceless. I really liked the film.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."