Thread: The man without fear (of appearing in a crappy movie)

The man without fear (of appearing in a crappy movie)

Has anyone else seen the Daredevil movie yet?

Any opinions from people who have seen it (I thought it was the best comics-based movie yet, and I'm not a fan of the comics).
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

I saw it last night.

It's a workman-like translation of the Daredevil/Elektra story to the big screen. It doesn't reallly add anything to the story.

It has the feel of Frank Miller Daredevil, quite dark and gritty. It has a more realistic sensibility to it than other superhero movies, ie Daredevil gets out of breath and has to take painkillers after being beaten up.

The action isn't particularly imaginitive, the fight sequences often involve the two protagonists treding blows. Although the initial playful confrontation between Matt and Elektra is great. The effects are good, depicting his 'radar' sense. I especially liked when he can 'see' in the rain.

The characters are all well played, but non of the cast stands out particularly, but then the script doesn't give their acting talents a chance to shine. Jon Favreau and Michael Clarke Duncan make the most of their little screen time to give us very enjoyable portrayals as Foggy Nelson and the Kingpin. Colin Farrell gets the best lines as the only comedy element of the film as Bullseye.

There are some nice in jokes, Romita, Bendis, Miller and a few other writters & artisits get a mention. Frank Miller, Stan Lee and Kevin Smith are all in the movie.

I'd give it seven out of ten, comparable to the translation of X-men to the big screen, but lacking the emotional heart that made Spiderman so great.

Oh, and stay for the credits.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

I saw it today. I went in hoping for a decent film, and expecting to be disappointed. And I was pleasantly surprised. I left the theatre thinking I'd spent my money good entertainment.

The story won't hold too many surprises for those familiar with the character, but the characterizations were solid, especially Duncan and Farrell. Even Affleck and Garner did decent work. The effects were nice -- not overdone, but inserted often enough to remind you that Daredevil sees the world very differently from most people. There were a lot of nice touches, like Matt's "bed" and the way he entered his sanctum.

Downside, some of the acrobatics weren't too realistic. The movie was at times *too* dark; it was occasionally difficult to make out details.

Overall, I recommend the movie to any comics fan, and even non-comics fans will find a decent story here. It won't win any Oscars, but if you're looking for good entertainment, check it out.

Saw it last week.

Without spoiling it I enjoyed it. Very different tone than Spider-Man - obviously far darker - the city became a much more cruel place and Daredevil was harsher than Spider-Man (or even Daredevil of the comics). Afleck surprised me - I had a hard time picturing him as Daredevil/Matt Murdock.

I thought the ending was a tad awkward and wished it was perhaps twenty minutes or so longer to show a little bit more of the "normal" life of Daredevil/Matt Murdock.

I also enjoyed the music very much - fit the movie very well, much like the soundtrack for "The Crow" back in the mid-90s.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel