Thread: [CODA] NG Starships don't calculate up?

Question NG Starships don't calculate up?

I'm hoping someone here might be able to offer a suggestion, or at least a solution!

Using GandalfOfBorg's most-excellent Starship generator 3.51, I've just been reverse-engineering the Intrepid class...and lo-and-behold, I find I'm down about 15 space units.

I've fixed the Starship generator so that it calculates the extra transporters correctly (1 per original allocation as opposed to 1 for 1), and I've manually taken off the -1 space for the drive (as a Light ship) and -2 for the shields (as an Explorer), but I'm still way out.

I've gone over Gandalf's calculations with a fine-tooth comb and, apart from the transporter thing, I can't find anything wrong.

Then...I checked the Galaxy out and found similar discrepancies. Is it me? Am I doing something wrong, or do the ships in the NG not match up with the construction system?

Sorry if this has been discussed before - I've done a search of the forum and couldn't find anything specifically about this.

Thanks in advance...
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

say, where can I find that program?

Unfortunately this is true. At some point along the way the vessels in the NG were altered and the point values not double-checked. This led in a number of variances in just about every ship. While I realize this doesn't help you now, all the ships in the Starships SB were triple-checked (at least the ones I did) and should add up correctly. I can't speak to any alterations that took place once the document left my hands, however.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Actually, and this has been discussed at length in other threads, you are correct. The TNG ships all seem to be a couple of points off (Intrepid included...not sure where you're getting the 15 points, though). Don says that this was done after the fact (he said wrote them up so that they fit the cost, but they were changed somewhere in the editing process, IIRC, and thusly ended up two points over).

TOS ships all appear to be 5-10 points under cost (and I've actually followed suit with my TOS ship designs), and the TNG+ ships are all a couple of points over...I think the only exception is the D'Deridex, but that's because we really don't know the cost of the plasma weapon.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Where can I find the program discussed here?