Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek : Discworld

Star Trek : Discworld

WARNING : This is an utterly non serious thread... but it might be useful for an utterly non serious ST game

You have been warned... keep the flames away, please

Ok, this started as a joke between me an kalamaro....

Imagine a StarFleet ship that encounters some subspace anomaly, wich throw it into another universe... where they encounter a giant turtle travelling in space, with four elephants on its back carrying a huge rotating disc populated by wacky inhabitants... and, of course, they discover that some laws of physics have been changed.

What do you think would happen ? Do you think it could be playable (with Discworld fans players, and for a completely relaxing gaming session of course) ?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

May I ask what 'Discworld' is?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Originally posted by redwood973
    May I ask what 'Discworld' is?
    redwood, have you been living in another universe? Maybe a strange one where the world is a sphere?

Discworld is the world created by Terry Pratchett for his comic-fantasy novels, of which there are now about two-dozen. They are hugely popoular here in the UK (Pratchett's works are the most often stolen books).

Discworld itself is flat and supported by a giant turtle, who is carried by four elephants.

See http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/ for more.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

(slow fade in, voices first)

Data: Detecting several immense forms, bearing 12 mark 230, Captain. Oddly, we are picking up life form readings.

Picard: Curious. Can we get them on screen, Mr. Data?

Data: Just available now, sir.

(view on-screen of A'Tuin, carrying Berilia, Tubul, Great T'Phon and Jerakeen, atop which is a disc spilling water -- sounds of Picard spewing Earl Grey)

Riker: What the....?

Data: Hmm. Intriguing.

Picard: Turtles? ELEPHANTS?

Troi: I detect ... silliness?

(fade to commercials)

And I can hardly wait until they meet Granny Weatherwax

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by Ramage
    And I can hardly wait until they meet Granny Weatherwax
    I'd be in favour of a fire-fight vs. the UU Faculty....
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Picard meeting Granny Weatherwax...

Troi meeting Magrat...

Garak meeting Lord Vetinari...

Worf meeting Cohen the Barbarian...

Kirk meeting Angua... (okay, this is my hatred of Kirk talking here.. )

Data meeting DEATH (oh wait, has been done in Nemesis - well, not the same DEATH)...

Wonder what would happen if the first person to be encountered was Rincewind... especially if Worf is leading the away team...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

**groan**

No more Rincewind.

Dear GOD! no more Rincewind!

When I find Discworld books nowadays, I check to see if Rincewind is a character. If he is, I put the book back. He is not "cute annoying", just "smash my head against the wall annoying"...

OTOH, having Scotty or Geordi meet Leonard of Quirm would be fun

And just think of the delights of any Ferengi and CMOT Dibbler

One of Pratchett's other books, "Strata" talks about a discworld in a more practical fashion... it may make for an interesting "non-silly" adventure seed. I recommend it.

Well, depends how you define "non-silly" ... I'd say it'd still definitely be on the humorous side ... but not on the "completely wacky" side as Discworld is, granted.
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Strata is definitely a good idea ... that I might try to use in an adventure ...

Anyhow, back to toying with the real, genuine Discworld. The main problem I see with the laws of physics is that they are definitely too weird for anything like a Trek spaceship to exist. I mean, light is only as fast sound? Just imagine what it'd do to optronic relays!

Fortunately, this may not be as bad as it seems. Pratchett makes it quite clear that the Discworld is a world on the far end of the probability curve, where magic exists and distorts everything. That said, he mentions in a few of his books the fact that there exist other worlds in space, that definitely do not behave as strangely as the Discworld does. The same space that Great A'Tuin paddles through since eons. So, probably, the Discworld, the Elephants and Great A'Tuin are enclosed in a bubble of physical improbability, that allows the whole thing to paddle on and joyfully exist in a more practical universe.
    What about an adventure now? Well, easy: the Enterprise comes by, stays out of the bubble, but sends a shuttle in. Shuttle enters bubble, everything stops working, shuttle crashlands near a beach (that's what shuttle are for anyway ... and remember, life is a beach, Om, century of the Fruitbat) in the circle sea probably. Everyone has fun, and then everyone wants to depart, right? Easy: they just need to fall of the rimm, avoid DEATH or other buggers (faster than light particles like the Sun or the Moon), and punch through the bubble again. Sounds easy .
    On the way back they could have a word with Trolls, wich are probably just distant cousins of the Hortas ... and would be a great deal smarter if ligh wasn't that slow ... oh ... this just dawned on me ... ever noticed that Trolls get brighter when it gets colder? Maybe the speed of light on the Discworld depends on the temperature ... or maybe Magic is rendered less effective with cold, which in turn lets light return to its (almost) normal state. So maybe, if they could find a way to make a Tricorder real cold, maybe they could get it back to work? Just a thought.

All right, I'm not finished yet! Why not have the UU Wizards as APSBotW (All Powerful Supreme Beings of the Week). How? Remember Project Roundworld? If not, just get out of here to the nearest bookshop and ask for "The Science Of The Discworld". All right, now that everyone's read it, let's see what we could do with it ...
    I mean, basically, the Wizard have created a universe, that the Librarian probably keeps somewhere with a bunch of banananananas. This is supposed to be the very universe we live in, and by extension, ST's universe as well right? So ... why would the anyone at the UU need to:
    - either go down there with their whateveritwascalled suits,
    - find a way to bring someone from the project to the real world (I'm speaking of the Discworld, of course) ...
    Hmmm not sure ... but it'd be interesting to see the player's faces when they realize their whole universe has been created by fat, bickering, and seemingly incompetent wizzards trying to part the Thaum into smaller pieces .

Nice ideas here, Calcoran. The wizards as creators of the universe would be extremely fun indeed (I can see Q looking embarassed : "well you know there are superior lifeforms to us... however their main concern in life is the hour of the next meal..." )

Another funny thing for our Discworld explorers would be the ability of this universe to mimic our own whenever the right conditions are created.
    "Well, Captain, we didn't want to break the Prime Directive... all we tried to do was build a radio emitter to contact the ship... we couldn't have known the next thing happening would be all these people carrying these imp-powered boxes everywhere with them to ask each other where they were calling from, while this Dibbler individual was trying to sell 'extra minutes on long range communications'...."

Mmm... I wonder what the Discworld version of Star Trek would be...
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by C5
    Mmm... I wonder what the Discworld version of Star Trek would be...
    Mmmmm dunnow ... can't get rid of this mental image of Detritus in a Starfleet uniform operating a starship console with his thinking helmet on ... (wow, from splatter to starship officer, talk about a career move)

Originally posted by Calcoran
    Mmmmm dunnow ... can't get rid of this mental image of Detritus in a Starfleet uniform operating a starship console with his thinking helmet on ... (wow, from splatter to starship officer, talk about a career move)
    LOL!! I can see it now!

"Um... Wat dat button do again...?"
    >BEEP<
    Enterprise launches spread of Quantum Torpedoes at Ba'ku....
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Originally posted by C5

You have been warned... keep the flames away, please
    Hadn't noticed this at first ... I mean, we should not forget the words of Wisdom from our master pTerry:

"It's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."
    Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms.

All right, let's get back to something more serious. Sorry, useful I meant. Err, usable. Whatever.

One of the problem you'd have with a Trek meets Discworld scenario would probably be the modelisation of Magic. I mean, Magic shapes everything on the discworld. It shapes belief into gods and other anthropomorphic personifications, it shapes metaphors into stupidly real things, it allows spells to be cast, it may even lend a hand to the existance of highly unprobable species or plants. Subspace anomalies are all good and well, but I doubt you could achieve that much with them.
    So how about that: Magic is in fact a microscopic, emphatic and symbiotic subspace lifeform. Microscopic cause it's ... well, let's face it, it's very small ... thaums are probably some kind of social gathering events for them. Emphatic is the part that explains all the "strong belief + magical field -> existence" equation. Symbiotic because it seems to thrive when associated with other lifeforms of the Discworld. And subspace because it has to have some very strange properties to do things like slowing the speed of light ... I don't know, maybe it likes to play ball with gluons or something.

Anyhow, I was just trying to extrapolate a bit. I'm still stuck as to what this lifeform feeds on ... and why it only exists in the immediate vicinity of the Discworld ... maybe that's where the subspace anomaly comes in ...

Not sure how this could be used in a scenario either ... sorry .