Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumour of a new LOTR RPG product

Originally posted by joeman
    What kind of maps are you looking for, exactly?
    Rhovanion! (including Mirkwood and Angmar)

It is covered extensively in The Hobbit, and is a wonderful setting for adventure. It should have been in the first map set. Please put it in the second.

Originally posted by Jason Durall
    Rhovanion! (including Mirkwood and Angmar)

It is covered extensively in The Hobbit, and is a wonderful setting for adventure. It should have been in the first map set. Please put it in the second.
    Point of procedure: Angmar is in Eriador, not Rhovanion.

The second map set isn't going to be like the first in that it focuses on cities and strongholds instead of regional maps.

joeman

Point of procedure: Angmar is in Eriador, not Rhovanion.

The second map set isn't going to be like the first in that it focuses on cities and strongholds instead of regional maps.

joeman
    My apologies... I didn't mean to imply it was there, just that the map should include it.

I am deeply saddened that the second map set won't include the relevant map. Not having it in the first set was a major oversight, or an unfortunate decision.

Since I gather you're the artist or developer on this product, can I ask you to try to see that the maps aren't folded more than necessary to get them into the box? The third fold for the first map set served no purpose, as they fit perfectly when folded twice.

I am deeply saddened that the second map set won't include the relevant map. Not having it in the first set was a major oversight, or an unfortunate decision.
    I doubt it was either an oversight or an unfortunate decision. I'm willing to lay odds that there'll be a Hobbit sourcebook or the like in the future that will include a map of Mirkwood and Dale and Erebor.

My Fourth Age campaign is headed toward Mirkwood as well. The map inside the front cover of the core rulebook and the maps in the Atlas of ME will do the job just fine for me.

My apologies... I didn't mean to imply it was there, just that the map should include it.

Since I gather you're the artist or developer on this product, can I ask you to try to see that the maps aren't folded more than necessary to get them into the box? The third fold for the first map set served no purpose, as they fit perfectly when folded twice.
    No sweat - just thought maybe you were misinformed.

One thing you should remember is that there is SO much material to deal with when you're talking Middle-earth that you can't cover it all effectively in a short time. It took I.C.E. 15 years to cover the majority of just the NorthWest of Middle-earth, and that wasn't even done completely. Decipher is just starting out here. Give them time - I'm sure there will be material covering Rhovanion at SOME point - it's a big area!

I don't think artists and developers have much to do with how the product is boxed or presented. I never have, at any rate, as a free-lancer. And I am not really any kind of artist (unless you count writing). ;-)

No sweat - just thought maybe you were misinformed.

One thing you should remember is that there is SO much material to deal with when you're talking Middle-earth that you can't cover it all effectively in a short time. It took I.C.E. 15 years to cover the majority of just the NorthWest of Middle-earth, and that wasn't even done completely. Decipher is just starting out here. Give them time - I'm sure there will be material covering Rhovanion at SOME point - it's a big area!

I don't think artists and developers have much to do with how the product is boxed or presented. I never have, at any rate, as a free-lancer. And I am not really any kind of artist (unless you count writing). ;-)
    It just struck me as unfortunate (for the purchasers of the map set) that it pretty much covered everywhere of significance in the areas covered in Decipher's license... except Rhovanion.

I have no doubt that there will be tons o' material coming out in the months to come... though it did surprise me a while ago when it seemed as if Decipher had no plans to cover The Hobbit (at least, having Matt ask on the forums if anyone would be interested in such a book gave that impression).

I also do not doubt that there'll be a nice map in whatever The Hobbit sourcebook you do... but as our current campaign is set in Rhovanion, and we'd like an actual map (as opposed to one in a book), we're eager to see one sooner than later.

I'm surprised also that you're not an artist - you're jumping up to speak about a map set (and commented on a bruised ego when someone said they wouldn't buy the maps), which would seem to be the province of a mapmaker.

What is your connection to the second map set?

>My Fourth Age campaign is headed toward Mirkwood as well. The map inside the front cover of the core rulebook and the maps in the Atlas of ME will do the job just fine for me. [/B][/QUOTE]

better maps can be found in the MERP mirkwood products which also include esgaroth and dale. decipher would do well to produce products ina similar vein and not try and cram entire regions into one volume. they would also make more money as well, so everybody wins.

Some details

For those of you interested, here's some info on the second map set.

As you may or may not know, it is as of now titled Cities and Strongholds of Middle-earth.

It will include 6 maps, with various call-outs (smaller maps and illustrations). Also a 22 (or so) page booklet describing the six cities/strongholds. This is not repeat material. Trust me. I wrote it. Dan Reeves is doing the maps (the same fellow who made the beautiful maps in the first set).

The areas that are being covered by this project are:
    Rivendell
    Edoras
    Helm's Deep
    Isengard
    Minas Tirith
    Umbar

There is now the obvious connection that yes, Decipher is tapping some of the old "talent" (and I use the term loosely here) from the Old Guard (tm). Be warned though, that the license is much more restrictive this time 'round, so it's not likely that you'll see any significant appearances of Durin I or Feanor in any sourcebooks.

I'll answer questions as I am able about this project. Please be nice.

-Joeman

Re: Some details

The areas that are being covered by this project are:
    Rivendell
    Edoras
    Helm's Deep
    Isengard
    Minas Tirith
    Umbar

-Joeman
    Ok! Now, this I might be able to use.

You wanted questions so here are a couple;

1) How much?
    2) When is the release date?

Re: Re: Some details

Originally posted by Phantom
    Ok! Now, this I might be able to use.

You wanted questions so here are a couple;

1) How much?
    2) When is the release date?
    Well, I'm not going to be much use to you here, not being a marketing dude.

1) Your guess is as good as mine - but my guess is the same as the first set.
    2) This is a HUGE question mark, AFAIK. There are too many variables which are completely out of my purvey for me to even really guess at this.

Hopefully it'll be something that everyone can use. I think it's a good start for building detail for later work.

-Joeman

Re: Re: Re: Some details

Well, I'm not going to be much use to you here, not being a marketing dude.

1) Your guess is as good as mine - but my guess is the same as the first set.
    2) This is a HUGE question mark, AFAIK. There are too many variables which are completely out of my purvey for me to even really guess at this.

Hopefully it'll be something that everyone can use. I think it's a good start for building detail for later work.

-Joeman
    Fair enough. Thanks.

Are the maps in this new set based on the film?

Are they the actual plans that the designers used to construct sets etc?

I hope they are - the sets/costumes/props were one of the strongest features in the films and the aspect that, for me, perfectly captured the feel of books.
    www.unfinishedtales.net

'Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works' JRR Tolkien

Originally posted by Brandir
    Are the maps in this new set based on the film?

Are they the actual plans that the designers used to construct sets etc?

I hope they are - the sets/costumes/props were one of the strongest features in the films and the aspect that, for me, perfectly captured the feel of books.
    The maps are based on the films insofar as this is possible - BUT - if there is a contradiction between the two, the stuff I sent the cartographer chooses rather the books. Where the movie fills out detail not provided in the books, I went with the movie. F'rinstance, Rivendell is not really all that well described in the books in relation to its surroundings, so the maps should be based basically on the movies. I did not have access to the actual plans the designers used to construct the sets, but instead worked off of stills captured from the movie.

Some of the places (like Helm's Deep) are so well-described physically in the books that the maps are based solely on the books. Happily, the movie also seemed to (for the most part) follow this logic, so there are very few details that are different. The only notable exception is Isengard, wherein the book describes Orthanc being in the midst of a great NATURAL bowl with NATURAL cliff walls circumscribing it. In the movie, there's basically just a big wall going 'round the tower.

I've no doubt that you'll like the look and feel of the maps if you like the look and feel of the movies. The cartographer who's doing the maps also worked on the movie.

joeman

Thanks for the info joeman.

I will undoubtedly buy this map set.
    www.unfinishedtales.net

'Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works' JRR Tolkien

Hello!

Great job on the maps, and I have to say that I am on both sides of the fence over there not being a map of Mirkwood. I hope that I am not picking at old wounds here.

On the "for" side, I would love to have a decent sized map of Mirkwood for framing that I could put over the gaming table, as that is where my whole chronicle is set. It wouldbe very helpful for game play, and visually wonderful as well.

On the "against" side...now it is up to me. If I goof up, which happens a lot, I won't get someone saying "but Woodman Town is farther away from Sarn Goriwig than that", and such....

And then, on the "realistic" side....has anyone REALLY been able to map Mirkwood? I imagine that it would just show as a very vague shape with some mountains on it in most maps.....

Okay, take care, and keep up the good work!

R.
    "You can't fight crime with a macaroni duck!"