Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumour of a new LOTR RPG product

Rumour of a new LOTR RPG product

Our wonderful Decipher net rep Doug Burke set us up the bomb and posted this on the Decipher boards.

Pretty cool.

Discuss.

Could be useful. Only if it is priced more reasonably then the last set of maps that came out.

Re: Rumour of a new LOTR RPG product

Originally posted by Ineti
    Our wonderful Decipher net rep Doug Burke set us up the bomb and posted this on the Decipher boards.
    Actually, I found out about that at DecipherCon last November, and could have sworn I'd posted about it. Of course, if it was on the Decipher boards, it was probably pushed off some time before Christmas.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Re: Re: Rumour of a new LOTR RPG product

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    Actually, I found out about that at DecipherCon last November, and could have sworn I'd posted about it. Of course, if it was on the Decipher boards, it was probably pushed off some time before Christmas.
    No doubt, what with all the nonsensical posts there and such.

But, it was news to me so I thought it might be news to someone else.

I remember Doug saying something about it when the first set came out. Many people complained about the lack of a map of Rhovanion, and he said that he didn't know if it would make it into the cities and strongholds map set coming up next.

I, for one, hope that they can step outside the focus enough to provide such a map.

Our own campaign (the Chronicle of Ice & Fire) has been set entirely in that area, beginning just south of the Carrock, going up north to just below Mt. Gundabad, then across and through the Mirkwood to Lake-town and Dale, and now we're skirting the Iron Hills heading eastward.

One of those purty maps would be real nice...

Hey, cool. That's pretty much the same direction my campaign will be going in once it gets started on Sunday.

Although Decipher's maps look good, that is one product I will not buy - there already exists a plethora of excellent maps of Middle-earth.
    www.unfinishedtales.net

'Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works' JRR Tolkien

Map Set

I, too, was disappointed that there was not a map of Mirkwood in the set. I have a great copy of one that Mr. Tolkien made, but an official Decipher one would have been great.

I will wait for Map Set Two!
    "You can't fight crime with a macaroni duck!"

OOH... what was the bomb? the link doesn't work...

Originally posted by Vagabond
    OOH... what was the bomb? the link doesn't work...
    It was notice that another map set was in the works, this one focusing on fortresses and cities of Middle-earth.

Now a map set focussing on fortresses and cities, using Weta/Alan Lee/John Howe plans as the basis would be an excellent product I would definitaly buy.
    www.unfinishedtales.net

'Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works' JRR Tolkien

Originally posted by Brandir
    Although Decipher's maps look good, that is one product I will not buy - there already exists a plethora of excellent maps of Middle-earth.
    Come on, now... no need to so off-handedly bruise my ego....

I promise it'll be good. At least by my definition of the word.

joeman

Originally posted by joeman
    Come on, now... no need to so off-handedly bruise my ego....

I promise it'll be good. At least by my definition of the word.

joeman
    Tempting ...

Are they more detailed than the map found in the Core Book? (ie more towns/cities/terrain features etc ...)
    www.unfinishedtales.net

Originally posted by Brandir
    Tempting ...

Are they more detailed than the map found in the Core Book? (ie more towns/cities/terrain features etc ...)
    In the first map set? Yes. But you have to remember with the first map set that these maps are better suited to being props in a game than GM aids. There are more towns, etc on them though.

Since the second map set concentrates on cities and fortresses, it's not really the same sort of thing.

What kind of maps are you looking for, exactly?

Originally posted by joeman
    What kind of maps are you looking for, exactly?
    I must admit that I do like the map of Middle-earth as found in the Core Book. The lettering and colour make it look an excellent product for framing.

From a RPGing pint of view I would like a more detailed map of Middle-earth in this style. Detailed enough to have locations of towns, cities and fortresses and detailed enough to enable me to measure distances as the foot travels. Atmospheric enough for me and players to look at during a game.
    www.unfinishedtales.net