Thread: The game: On going vs. short and sweet?

Question The game: On going vs. short and sweet?

Ok, Simple question- How many people are running (or playing in) an on-going game, verses the short types (the ones that are finished in 12 of fewer episodes).

Starting with myself, I've taken over GMing a game that has been running on and off sense the first core book arrived in stores. Some of the faces (both players and characters) have changed but four of the core PC's are still there (heck two of the characters date back to FASA).

Phoenix...

The game I am running will hit it's one year anniversary in Novemeber and we all feel that it is still going strong.

3 players have changed characters and we recently added a new player (I know have 3 males and 3 female players, my dream for some time) but overall it is going strong.

Interestingly enough the oldest charater play wise is also the oldest character age wise (the SCPO Chief Engineer with 20+ years in Starfleet).

I love my game and love my players, one of whom has been with me playing Star Trek since 1985. FASA rules

------------------
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Visit Star Trek:Lexington at;
    http://www.usslexington.net
    =-=-=-=-=-=

We've tended to do mini-series - campaigns of 8 or so adventures. Overall this worked well, as it allowedus to experiment quite a bit. However, the problem is that it also made for a bit less in character development, which is why our current game actually ties all the previous game threads together, eventually bringing the favorite characters of the games together on one starship (the original one, where our LUG-Trek game began back in 98), the Galaxy-class Icarus, which miraculously survived her trip into the corona of a star at the Second Battle of Vrelikor Prime. (I personally though Icarus was going to be toast and would need to be replaced by another Icarus.)

------------------
    U.S.S. Icarus

2.5 years Campaign
    5 years game time
    2-5 pc's
    8 ships later
    Continuous storyline, with replacement characters

On hold until Decipher Trek hits!

------------------
    SIR SIG

More then meets the eye,
    His a MapMaker in disguise.

I've been basically running the same campaign since 1999, now. The players and characters have changed somewhat, but I've been fortunate enough to be able to keep the majority of the PCs and NPCs staying the same. We've had a couple breaks in between the games, but every time we start back up, it's like we didn't have any interuptions. Story Arcs and driving points may have changed over the course of our three year mission, but the ship and goal of the game have remained true. "To guard the Federation and it's principles."

I guess that's why I figure that the crew of the U.S.S. Guardian is nearing legend status amongst Starfleet. Right up there with the Defiant, and of course, the Enterprise.

------------------
    =========================
    Captain Scott Taylor
    U.S.S. Guardian
    NCC-1738-B
    "No, no! I'm chaos. He's Mayhem!"
    http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/startrekgamersstation

Two campaigns: one I run in the 2380 timeframe; the other my friend runs circa STII. The first has been ongoing for 1.5 years & has spanned about 3 years.

There are 4 main players with 2 characters each. They have run on two ships at the same time, both crews switching ships at some point or another.

Starting a new campaign soon when this one wraps with some of the same characters, but 5 yrs. later, game time.

Our campaign has been running since 1989, originally using the FASA system. Some of the faces have changed, and the ship has changed a couple of times, but three of the original players are still here. New players have joined in that time, and on occasion, people who moved away do visit and reprise their old characters for guest spots.

We currently have ten players, and two campaigns. The TNG era campaign is the long running one, but we also have a TOS era campaign that I run as an occasional change of pace. The TOS campaign is a sort of prequel to the TNG one, and the story that is unfolding at the moment is a sequel to one of the TOS adventures I'me running concurrently. As a link between the two, my girlfriend is playing a Trill in both eras. Same symbiont, differnet host. We also tend to rotate players, so that not everyone is always playing, and it also gives a sense of working in a larger crew. You're not always beaming down with the same people.

We change the format from time to time, to inject new life as it's needed. And occasionally, people opt to change their characters. But in every way that matters, it's the same campaign. I still run adventures that involve older retired characters, or are sequels to old sessions. it's been a good 12 years, and I look forward to the next 12. Although the thought that I'll be into my forties by then is a little scary

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter
    CO NCC-74600, U.S.S. Intrepid
    Star Trek: Intrepid

[This message has been edited by USS Intrepid (edited 09-05-2001).]

I use a continuing campaign. It's now been running almost 3 years now.

We meet 1x/wk. To give the GM a break we switch off every 4-6 weeks to Deadlands. Since the different games have different GM's it allows the GM to a)PLAY! and b) fine tune his (or her) scenario. I find this VERY helpful because I make up 90% of my stories.

We are now moving to our second ship. Most of my original players have changed characters once (My CMO, CSO are original from the beginning, as is the Navigator who has just officially become the 1st officer.

Every 8 months or so I try to get feedback from the players to make sure i'm keeping everyone entertained. It can be a challenge with 10 pc's (Capt., 1st, CSO, CEng., CMO, Counselor, Ops, 2d Eng., Social Scientist, & Navigator (in order of rank)).

Though I have to admit that there is some confusion when people have to remember that X happened before Y's character was on the ship. Especially since there's been a Tal Shiar agent on the ship from the beginning!

Ongoing campaign that hit its one year anniversary in July. The tally so far is:

1 character dead
    1 player quit
    1 DS9 Station destroyed
    1 character willingly left Starfleet instead of being court martialed and jail time (Note: this is the same player whose character's died)

And the strangest part, my players still love this game! Go figure...