Thread: [CODA] How do you build Starbases

How do you build Starbases

Hello,

I am very new to the RPG world. I have only had the Narrator's Guide and Player's guide books for less than a week. I am working on creating my series out of the Narrator's Guide. it says in chapter 2 that I should use Chapter 9: Starships to create my starbase. I have looked at chatper 9 and to be honest none of it makes sense.
    those of you that have played the game a while, could you please help me out. Can you provide me with a break down of how to create what i need and give me info on what all the systems are. I have looked at the different posts on this site about star bases, but as of right now none of it is clear. I found this post on Star Base 73 from a while back. maybe this could be used as some sort of common reference:

STARBASE 73 (TNG version of Spacedock)

Origin: United Federation of Planets
    Class and Type: Starfleet Supply/Shipyard
    Year Commissioned: 2362
    Hull Data:
    Structure: 225
    Size/Decks: 10/18,194
    Diameter/Height: 8,871/9,981 metres
    Complement: 42,785
    Operational Data:
    Transporters: 34 Standard 34 Cargo 10
    Cargo Units: 560 8
    Shuttlebays: 15 30
    Shuttlecraft: 450 size worth
    Docking Ports: 13 (Size 10) 39
    Tractor Beams: 18 17
    Power Systems: 20
    Sensor System: Class 4 E +4/+3/+2/+1/+0 4
    Operation Systems: Class 4 E 21
    Life Support: Class 4 E 21
    Propulsion Data:
    Tactical Data:
    Beam Weapons: Type IX Phaser Arrays (x7) E 42
    Penetration: 7/7/6/0/0
    Missile Weapons: Type V Torpedoes (x5) E 25
    Penetration: 7/7/7/7/7
    Deflector Shields: Class 15 D 17
    Protection/Threshold: 17/4
    Miscellaneous Data:
    Manoeuvre Modifiers: +5 Command/-9 Helm/+5 Tactical
    Starship Traits: Enhanced System (Shields)

How do you use all of this stuff in a game? what does all of the numbers mean, and how do you determine your build points? ETC. thanks for all your help.

You are brave soul . I have not ran a game in star trek yet . The advice I can offer is to view the rules as more of guide lines .

I write out line or flow chart for adventure for other game I have ran . Players will do the oddest things . The flow charts allow me to be loose on details untill I need to full them in during the game .

As far what the stats means you and your freinds will have to figure out as the game flows along . You need to be fair , it is not you against the players . It is you taking the players though a story .

The first rule of role playing is when you all having fun , you are playing the right way .

Space Stations are basically starships without engines.

As a rough guide, figure out how big you want it to be - this will give you the size in "space", which you then fill up with "stuff", as listed on all the tables.

You obviously won't need to worry about warp drives and impulse drives - I believe manouvering thrusters are included in the hull, so you don't need to purchase them as extras.

GandalfOfBorg has produced an excellent Excel spreadsheet generator for CODA ships (amongst other things). I know Lt Commander Matt has copies of it on his website:

http://www.ltcmdrmatt.com/FBR/html/index.php
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...