Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Starships" Contents

Well, Phantom, given that the most common 24th c. Klingon ship classes are all known as 'Bird-of-Prey' - then 'Raptor' makes perfect sense. Despite JP, 'raptor' does mean bird of prey (usually a falcon of some type). How 'bout that? They're sticking to a theme.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Thanks. I know where the term originated from.

I was under the impression since TNG started the classification of Klingon ships you mentioned were the B'Rel and the K'Vort, very Klingonish names. Then there is also the K'Tinga and Neg'Var. Now all of a sudden we are back to English names?

You do realize that in <i>Enterprise</i>, neither the Humans nor the Vulcans have either a Klingon dictionary OR a Klingon ship registry . . .

J.H.

Originally posted by Phantom
    Thanks. I know where the term originated from.

I was under the impression since TNG started the classification of Klingon ships you mentioned were the B'Rel and the K'Vort, very Klingonish names. Then there is also the K'Tinga and Neg'Var. Now all of a sudden we are back to English names?

Sorry I sounded a little snarky there when I didn't mean to. Honestly, I didn't think Raptor was all that original either. That said, this post made me think of something else This is honest an question to anyone who might know --

I know Negh'var and Vor'cha classes were mentioned by name on more than one occasion. I'm pretty sure I remember K'Vort being said onscreen, but I don't remember ever hearing a crew member say D-7, K'tinga or B'rel. The names are definitely accepted as canon by Paramount (they're in the encyc. after all). Can anyone remember when these were named? Or maybe they were just on a graphic display?

-- Daniel
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sho-sa Kurita

I know Negh'var and Vor'cha classes were mentioned by name on more than one occasion. I'm pretty sure I remember K'Vort being said onscreen, but I don't remember ever hearing a crew member say D-7, K'tinga or B'rel. The names are definitely accepted as canon by Paramount (they're in the encyc. after all). Can anyone remember when these were named? Or maybe they were just on a graphic display?

D-7 was mentioned in the VOY spisode where Torres was supposed to give birth to the Klingon prophet (7th season).K'Vort in Yesterday's Enterprise.B'rel-beats me.I don't think that said VOY episode was the first time D-7 was used,though.The T'Ong(TNG Emissary) is listed in the Encyc. as being a K'tinga.It's also mentioned in Roddenberry's novelization of ST:TMP(would that reference be official?).
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

B'Rel...

B'Rel was mentioned in a TNG Episode where the E-C came back in time and due to that the Klingons and Federation were at war. 3 of the smaller Bird-of-Preys came up and the sensors officer or whoever picked it up said they were B'Rels, and Picard even said fire on lead B'rel I think, but it's been a while since I saw that epsiode and since it was an alternate universe I don't know whether that would be considered canon.

B'rel was mentioned in TNG 'Rascals' IIRC.

Also D12 was used in 'Generations'.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Paramount told us to consider the Starship Spotter book official
    hehe FASA's ghost somehow lurking ...

a lot of the component names in the SS were taken from FASA material. In FASA, the various ship components were labelled according to origin (fed, klingon, romulan, etc) and function. For instance a Federation impulse engine was labelled FIG-1, a Klingon disruptor KD-9 and so forth.

Interesting that somehow some of that stuff crept into ST canon.

Originally posted by Lowly Uhlan
    D-7 was mentioned in the VOY spisode where Torres was supposed to give birth to the Klingon prophet (7th season).K'Vort in Yesterday's Enterprise.B'rel-beats me.I don't think that said VOY episode was the first time D-7 was used,though.The T'Ong(TNG Emissary) is listed in the Encyc. as being a K'tinga.It's also mentioned in Roddenberry's novelization of ST:TMP(would that reference be official?).
    The D-7 class was also mentioned in "Trials and Tribble-ations". IIRC, Kor also made mention of the D-7 class in his last appearance on DS9.

Originally posted by Snake_Plissken
    hehe FASA's ghost somehow lurking ...

a lot of the component names in the SS were taken from FASA material. In FASA, the various ship components were labelled according to origin (fed, klingon, romulan, etc) and function. For instance a Federation impulse engine was labelled FIG-1, a Klingon disruptor KD-9 and so forth.

Interesting that somehow some of that stuff crept into ST canon.
    Yea, something that pisses me off to no end. I have no problem with the FASA conventions remaining, but I have no love for Starship Spotter. [Grumble, grumble, bites tongue.]

Turnabout is fair play. If another SS book comes out VCP oughta damn well tell them to pick up a copy of Decipher's "Starships" book when doing their write-ups. [Grumble, grumble…]

This reminds me of the US/NATO designations for certain Soviet weaponry.

THEY didn't call their planes "Fulcrum" and "Foxbat"... but WE did.

Perhaps something like that is going on here.

D7 - K't'inga
    Raptor - ??

And only after the Fed and Klingons had been allies did the start commonly referring to each other's ship classes by the natural language names, except a few which were left interchangeable, like "bird of prey."
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Yea, something that pisses me off to no end. I have no problem with the FASA conventions remaining, but I have no love for Starship Spotter. [Grumble, grumble, bites tongue.]
    I hear you. I'm a fairly overt FASA fan but I thing that what worked for 80's trek doesn't necesarily work today. I guess those guys started doing fan-based TNG ship converisons for the FASA combat simulator game before the advent of ICON or CODA and then somehow the system carried over in their contemporary works. The FASA system worked well for keeping track of components when building ships or sizing up stats between various ships but it does sound, for a lack of a better term, "baby-simplistic". Needless to say I chose not to waste (that would be the proper term) my money on the SS. For the record I consider the ICON and CODA terminologies (ex: Class 3a, Type IV, etc) much more elegant and it has a perfect "TNG-esque" ring to it.

Turnabout is fair play. If another SS book comes out VCP oughta damn well tell them to pick up a copy of Decipher's "Starships" book when doing their write-ups. [Grumble, grumble…]
    oddly I wouldn't count on it. I always get the feeling that for VCP RPG material, however well wrtitten and thoughtful it may be, aren't "serious" work. But half-baked fanboyish crap like the SS (yeah I called the SS crap so bloody sue me) is considered gold. Did you guys know btw that most of the schematics and "stats" can (could?) be found on the net anyways?

Personally, I just hate the damn uberwarship take on the Akira. it just reeks fanboy, and I'm a bit disappointed that Decipher has been directed to follow that route.

Ah well, guess I'll just blithely ignore it That usually works.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by First of Two
    This reminds me of the US/NATO designations for certain Soviet weaponry.

And I can agree with you on that point. Except no human had seen a 'Raptor-Class'...So, where did the name come from? Other then from a script writer that just needed a new class.

And I can agree with you on that point. Except no human had seen a 'Raptor-Class'...So, where did the name come from? Other then from a script writer that just needed a new class.
    I thought you didn't watch ENT, so why are you arguing this (little) point?

If memory serves it is T'Pol, not any of the crew of Enterprise, that identifies the Klingon vessel as a "Raptor-class" ship. Where'd the name come from? The Vulcans, apparently.