Thread: Starship Combat (Still Confused)

Unhappy Starship Combat (Still Confused)

Ok,

I'm still a little confused (Sorry but Im new).

So what you are saying is that a Galaxy Class Starship on its turn, if it chooses to fire, can fire both torpedo launchers (It has MK 80 DF, stardrive x2/E) during manuever phase using just one manuever.

So if it hits, it does 5 dg x2 to the shields of the other ship.
    You would do dg for each torpedo but only roll one to hit roll.

So if I was an Excelsior Class ship, I could use the Close Manuever, then a fire manuever and shoot 6 Photons at the enemy starship (Excelsior has Mk 22 DF, x6/D).

So if it hits, it does 5 dg x6 to the shields of the other ship?
    You would do dg for each torpedo but only roll one to hit roll.

Is this right?

I am sorry to ask again, but I am new and I really want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Thanks for the Help.
    Stule

Here to the rescue!

Your main mistake is that your assuming when you fire the photons that you get to fire as many as launchers listed.

When you fire photons you make one roll that roll represents ALL the photons, there is no x2 or even x6. ITs just the one damage number. 6 or 7 or whatever.

Furthermore the Fire manuever is not the only one that can cause your ship to shoot whatever. There are many manuevers that allow your to "fire" your weapons.

Try downloading Mike's st cards listed on these boards. You canalso download the extension cards designed ny killerwhale but placed in card format by me. I also created panels for the PCs perhaps you might want to look at printing those out to help speed up the game.

Wow,

Ok I get it.
    So it doesn't matter about the x2 or x4 launchers.
    You get one shot and you do only 6, 7, or whatever.

Thats what i thought.

Thanks!

Stule

By the way,

Vecna can you get me the links to those cards?

I would be grateful.

Stule

Stule, not that I am a moderator or anything but can you try and limit your questions about the same thing to the same thread!

Ok yes, ignore the whole *x3 launchers thing* - basically it's as i was trying to say before - the entire thing is an abstract - the damage for any given weapon system (be it phasers or missiles) is derived for the TOTAL number of them and the type of them.. So a ship with more phaser arrays does more damage per hit - it does not hit more times...

You should find that no matter how big or small the ship you are hitting is you should always get at least a few hits to your shileds before they go down!

And as Vecna said there are more things to do than just hitting it with your weapons, there are all sorts of handy manouvers.

Now just in case you are wondering too.. the number of weapons systems is also an abstraction too.. I.e. the galaxy class starship actually has 11 phaser arrays, not 3. I guess you can look at this as a measure of the relative power of the said systems, and this figure also gives you their reliability too - so with more powerful systems you get higher ammounts of robustness because they are either more evenly distributed or they are bigger and tougher!
    Ta Muchly

Sorry Tobian.

As I said I am new and I did not know that I could not do that.

It will not happen again.

From now on I will post in one thread.

Again, my apologies.

Stule

Dinna worry about it. I still get confused about combat at times. It's okay to ask questions. that's what boards are for
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Hehe don't stress, I over-reacted a little, I just dislike it when that is done You are new, and it's forgiveable..

And yes it took me ages to work out how it all worked too! and i am certainly happy to share back !
    Ta Muchly