Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Aliens" Contents

Originally posted by AndorMan
    Playable? Perhaps...but Q, Devidians, Medusans, Borg, Talosians...sorry, no PCs of these types in my campaign.
    I said most, not all. And when you consider there's only about 8 out of the list that I wouldn't let in as PCs (Those you mentioned, Founders, Jem'Hadar, and Species 8472, though I'd have to think about a couple of the others on a case-by-case basis), that still leaves something like 50 in this book alone that can be potential PC races.

I was a little disappointed about the Denobulans, but they're appearing in the Enterprise book with the LE. I'm hoping they sell that separately, because I see no need to get the LE other than that info. The Caitians/Regulans are, I think, also showing up in the Star Fleet Operations Manual, though you shouldn't hold me to that because I can't remember where I read that, and I might be making it up.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

As one of the bitchiest members of the board, I've put two and two together, and...

That's right. Don't forget there are eight Species in the Ops Manual

Constellation... It will appear in a future supplement.
    Also, if I get mgmt. permission, I'll probably post the New Orleans-class as a downloadable file.

As usual, I'm a step ahead -- the Wadi, the Sheliak and a bunch of other guys with weird facial prosthetics or costumes will make appearances in various supplementary books.
    ARRGH...

I now... only have... GOOD things... to say... about Decipher!... Heart... expanding!... Faith... being... restored!... the pain, THE PAIN!!!

"It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by AndorMan
    Playable? Perhaps...but Q, Devidians, Medusans, Borg, Talosians...sorry, no PCs of these types in my campaign.

I was hoping for those species we don't know much about, but have made their way in Trek Lore...Saurians, Rigellians, Arkenites, Troyians, Amaazaarrites, Denobulans, Megarites, Boslics, Tamarians, whatever new name you want to call the Caitians...

More then I can easily list here.

AndorMan
    We Are The Worlds
    Allow me to point out that the designers did take this sort of thing into accoutn and indicated which species would work as PCs and which wouldn't. According to the list, they suggest the following species would NOT normally be suitable as PC species: Axanar, Borg, Breen, Devidians, Flaxians, Founders, Gomtuu, Hirogen, Horta, Jem'Hadar, Kelvans, Medusans, Pakled, Q Continuum, Species 8472, Suliban, Talosians, Tholians, Vians, Vidiians, and Vorta.

But that still leaves 37 species available for player use!Many of which are, if not members of the the Federatiobn, found within Federation space.

Are there a lot more species that need to be written up? Yes. But you can only do so much in one book...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Doug Burke
    According to the list, they suggest the following species would NOT normally be suitable as PC species: Axanar...
    Doug, Jessie, Don (whomever can answer) --

Are the Axanar you refer to the aliens seen in the Enterprise episode "Fight or Flight"?

If so, are they considered the same race as the Axanari?

If not, will you folks be expanding upon the Axanari in another supplement?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I'd just like t mention that there's at least one precedent for a Horta PC:

Ensign Naraht appears in several of the Diane Duane Star Trek books.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    Doug, Jessie, Don (whomever can answer) --

Are the Axanar you refer to the aliens seen in the Enterprise episode "Fight or Flight"?
    Yep. And it looks like the "Axanar conflict" in which Garth of Izar became so famous has been attached to them as well.

If so, are they considered the same race as the Axanari?
    Kinda hard to say. Most likely the answer is yes and no. The historical details from the Axanari have been made part of the history for the Axanar, but I still find it doubtful they would be serving in Satrfleet as the TOS Core Book had the Axanri doing...

That could be just me, though...

Originally posted by First of Two
    I'd just like t mention that there's at least one precedent for a Horta PC:

Ensign Naraht appears in several of the Diane Duane Star Trek books.
    And he also appeared in the old Trek comic book from DC back in the early 80's. However, the desginers are sticking more with the on-screen stuff than the books, if for no other reason that to ease the approvals process. (Yes, it's the standard, "but what is canon?" bit, and we've all been there before, so let's not head there this time, okay? )

The Axanar of "Fight or Flight" are assumed to be the same Axanar defeated by Garth of Izar [TOS]. Why are they presumably different, when our previous books had the Axanari as a mostly-humanoid species? Well, because Paramount decided to make them so. ;-) Not a whole lot we can say about that.

The Axanar in <i>Aliens</i> are assumed to be the same race, with some "updates" in just the same fashion as Klingons have bumpy heads in ENT, smooth heads in TOS, and bumpy again in TNG.

Also note that the recommendation of what species make good PCs is really just a list saying "These guys may be difficult to use as PCs." Nothing stops you from having a Horta or Medusan crewmember if you want one, other than the barrier of convincing your Narrator. And since some Narrators are stricter about "by-the-book" rules than others, I even worded it as "These species are tougher to use as Crewmembers," not as "You shouldn't use these species as Crewmembers."

J.H.

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Player's Guide, actually.
    Well that's what I get for not having my books on hand at work...

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Thanks for the quick responses, Jesse and Doug. I wasn't sure if that's what Paramount had decided to do with the Axanar, and your answers cleared it up.

Which is a good thing...now I have one less racial template to keep up with once the book comes out.

And now we all know what the Axanar/Axanari look like.

Thanks again!
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    ...are the Axanar the ones from the Axanar Rebellion, or just the Enterprise episode (and does Paramount consider them one and the same)?
    I really hope their the ones from TOS.
    Well, the ones described in the LUG TOS book.
    cuz they're way cooler than the crappy ones in Enterprise.

But since there is a photo of the Axanari from Enterprise and none from the ones from TOS, I'm assuming they will win out.

sigh.
    DECIPHER YOU NEED TO PUT OUT A FREAKING TOS-ONLY BOOK! Softcover! I dont care!

sigh.
    I'm still buying it mind you.

Are you allowed to say what "era" these races will be written for? For example, I notice the Ekosians, who have not been seen since TOS. It is quite likely that significant cultural change will occur for them between the 23rd and 24th centuries.

I guess what I'm really asking is: will there be guidelines for how the races are best played in different eras?

Originally posted by Fesarius
    Are you allowed to say what "era" these races will be written for? For example, I notice the Ekosians, who have not been seen since TOS. It is quite likely that significant cultural change will occur for them between the 23rd and 24th centuries.

I guess what I'm really asking is: will there be guidelines for how the races are best played in different eras?
    Yes, there are such guidelines. For the more major species, information on each era is provided (Enterprise through Voyager), and for lesser known species (like the Ekosians), more generalized advice is given on how to handle them in various eras.

MMMmmm. Just keep piling on the reasons for me to buy this book.

"It's like buttah!"

Atreonids

What is an Atreonid, and why aren't Axanar, Breen, Flaxians, or Hirogen suited to being player characters?