Thread: hyperspace rupture

Question hyperspace rupture

I recently ran a game where the PCs caused a major rupture in hyperspace within a star system. I have not done anything about it yet, but I was thinking, would this rupture pull in matter from normal space or would it expel matter from within hyperspace. I would be interested to hear any comments on this subject.

What an awesome Question. Most of Trek technology deals with Subspace, Hyperspace is rarely covered. I would think that it would be dependant on what you are defining Hyperspace as. If you say it is another dimension then it couldn't spill into ours, dimensions are consistent through out all planes, though not always percieved. If you are to say that it is a parallel plane then you need to define what it is constitued of. If it is a material plane then the vacuume would suck it out, if it is similar to ourspace the rupture would just be an opening. Now the opening might have a violent apature or event horizon,and that might be expanding. I don't think that it would spill out though, that would suggest that it where made of something material. I would suggest that the spatial rupture have severe gravimetric distortions, and extreem radioactive emmissions. Temporal fluxuations(due to extreem gravity) and massive plasma discharges doing 2d6 damage on a difficult roll to the ships shields.
    The Gravimetric forces could be countered with a constantly modified warp field, check once a turn for a moderate roll, 3d6 damage to the ship and disregard shields ( they will have to be adjusted to keep out the 15 pts of high band radiation per turn.)Enterance into hyperspace without somekind of protective shielding will create fractures through out the ship, actual spatial fractures, not simply structural ones. Well thats my suggestions...Id steer clear of it if I where your players.

Or the rift could change and become an opening to another dimension and have a race of being begin an invasion

Always fun

------------------
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Visit Star Trek:Lexington at;
    http://www.usslexington.net
    =-=-=-=-=-=

Or if it spills into ours, suddenly the surrounding starsystems are mysteriously twice as far from each other as they used to be, as the hyperdimensions fall into a third dimensional plane. The longer they wait, the more of a headache to stellar cartographers it will be to remap the sector afterwards.

Just think of the effects of tipping the balance of material weight-dispersion in the universe, if suddenly one side of a stellar cluster was to become spacially "heavier" than the other. The gravametric distortions might send the stars hurtling (potentially towards M-Class bearing solar systems) like a cue ball would scatter billiards.

If, with hyperspace you mean another dimension, then this rupture could cause any number of subspace phenomena as well. IIRC subspace is a sort of layer (or layers) between dimensions. Therefore any connection between dimensions would have to affect subspace as well, IMHO.

With a situation like this you can have all sorts of fun.
    Imagine for a moment that this subspace/hyperspace rupture leads to increased sun activity (maybe even turning it supernova in a few days) while at the same time it has an adverse effect on warp-travel.
    Evacuating a star system when your warp-drive can fail any second should be a lot of fun (at least if you are the gamemaster).

------------------
    "To seek, to strive, to find and not to yield" - Alfred Tennyson

Not to mention the plethora of Science ships investigating the Phenomenom, including ambitious rival scientists, greedy Feredngi looking for an 'edge', curious Federations science teams getting WAAAYYYYY to close.

After 2-3 days the area is going to get crowded and dangerous.

------------------
    DanG.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

You just couldn't resist could you Styro?

------------------
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Visit Star Trek:Lexington at;
    http://www.usslexington.net
    =-=-=-=-=-=

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Cool

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

OH! you could have the ship get sucked in and have to help fight the evil galactic empire. TREK/WARS Cross-over baby

Cool

Actually, this rupture is located in an alternate universe where the PCs are currently located. In this universe, hyperdrive travel is the norm. The rupture was caused when a hyperdrive exploded as the ship was entering hyperspace from normal space. In our own universe, we still use warp drive, but I'm thinking about taking the plans for the hyperdrive and introducing it into my own Trek universe and doing away with warp drive altogether.

Thanks everyone, you've given me some good ideas. I'll let everyone know what I decided to do with it and how it all turned out.

[This message has been edited by khyber (edited 09-08-2001).]

Now you tell us!