Thread: Decipher/coda/editing/character Creation

Decipher/coda/editing/character Creation

Okay, I'm sure you've heard this before, but what was the design logic when you edited the Player's Guide for Star Trek?

I had 8 experienced gamers over this weekend to make characters for a new game, and each one, WITHOUT FAIL commented on the confusing layout, the fact that character generation was not neatly in one section, the need for 35 fingers to keep track of all the pages you needed to cross reference, etc.

All in all things seem poorly organized and edited. Far from bing accessible to new gamers, I think the book would actually HINDER new gamers from learning the rules because they are presented in such a disorganized fashion.

I had more than one person basically say, "I WILL NEVER buy this book after having to deal with this lay-out, but I'd happily pay 10 bucks for a character creation booklet that was nothing but the character generation rules in this book organized in a civilized and sensible fashion."

I mean, don't you have outsiders to proof-read your books and say "Goddamn, it's a pain in the ass to make characters with this layout. change it!"

_not meant to be insulting_ so much as I am completely boggled by this.

anyone care to comment at all?

bump. bump.

Comment? Sure.

1. This has been discussed ad nauseam.

2. Yes, the layout sucks. Yes, a more concise char gen summary would have been nice.

3. No, it's not the writer's fault as near as I understand it. The problem lies with the layout people.

4. It can be fixed.

Re: Decipher/coda/editing/character Creation

Originally posted by vegasthroat
    Okay, I'm sure you've heard this before, but what was the design logic when you edited the Player's Guide for Star Trek?
    If you're sure we've heard this all before why are you bringing it up? Do a search.

[begin humor-filled alternate reality]

I mean, seriously--from the tone of your message do you really expect the former Line Developer or the staff from Decipher to rush in and proclaim: "vegasthroat! You genius! You've noticed what, in the past year, we didn't--or many of our fans--haven't noticed! Thank you for your constructive criticism! Hearing it from you has solidified this, at last, as a valid problem!"

[/end humor-filled alternate reality]

BTW, I agree with you. I think your execution leaves a bit to be desired.

Why do you need a comment? Are you seeking validation on something that pretty much everyone is agreement with?

Upon further review I'm closing this thread--I don't see it serving any productive purpose. (Aside from raising blood pressure.)

Decipher representatives are already well-aware of the concerns from consumers on the layout of the Star Trek products, specifically the organization of information as it relates to creating new characters.

Thank you for your feedback.