Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If YOU would have had the power to make ST:10 would would you have done?

that is more the kind of narrative that would be good for a book a something on TV, not a movie. Remember, you want to make a quality 2-hour movie that will appeal to most mature moviegoers and the casual ST fan.

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    Originally posted by qerlin
    1. Keep the ROmulans as the bad guys; the Reman thing was dumb.

2. Ditch the cloning idea, as well as the ultimate weapon stuff (they've tried it in almost every TNG movie; it never works...)

Romulan Senate is split by the pro-Vulcan factions and the vets of the Dominion War looking to strengthen the empire vs. the Klingons by getting cozy with the Federation. The Tal Shiar and other hardliners don't want it. Into this sails Enterprise, sent to negotiate with the Rommies.

POlitical intrigue ensues & Picard has to aid the pro-UFP guys, if only to get Enterprise out of the AO, before being destroyed. Maybe a secret base/rendezvous for the hardliner portion of the fleet. Add big fleet action at the end.

If we're gonna kill Data, kill Data. Not this cop-out B-4 crap.
    This is starting to sound like a TNG version of STVI mixed with a little STII, but that's OK, I liked STVI.
    Now I'm starting to sound like those execs at the beginning of "The Majestic".... "Hey... wait a minute... I just got a 'what if'..."

I would have kept the Romulans, and thrown in at least six more Romulan ship designs (and all SMALLER than the Enterprise for a change). They could be updated klingon exchange ships or a movie era warbird, the ships from Starfleet Command would have worked. Mixing in Sela having to actually work with Picard to save the Romulan Empire and grow to gasp... respect him!!?? ***and introducing the E-E's new tactical officer, the first Romulan exchange officer to serve in Starfleet... Sela!***
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

Bloomington, IN - the heart of Limestone Country!
    I am such a geek.

Here's soemthing to help - or hinder - the discussion...

I was going to respond with my own ideas for a STX, but then got caught up in looking at the strengths and weaknesses of all the previous ST films, and I boiled it down to…

Ratings Categories:

Char = character development and good use of characters
    Act = quality of action sequences and how well they serve the story or pace
    Intr = thrilling twists and turns in the story
    Pace = pacing, tension, dramatic ‘arc’ structure
    Story = over all quality of writing and story structure
    New = does the film do, introduce, or explore anything new and exciting in the ST universe?
    Vill = overall coolness of villain and the actor’s portrayal of him/her
    Resp = respect for the cast, the characters, the ST universe, ST’s cultural iconic status, the history of the show, etc.
    Dir = directing
    Music = is the score any good?
    FX = are there cool, clever effects sequences? Are they well done?
    Spirit = the overall sense of fun and excitement

My rating scale is:
    0=poor
    1=decent
    2=great

I almost went with a 0-4 scale, but wanted to keep things simple, and an odd-numbered range gives you a middle ground.

Please keep in mind these are my ratings. I think I’m pretty objective, but I also know I go easy on STV and I’m hard on FC. I think the categories are pretty comprehensive, but what do I know.

-------------
    FILM Char/Act/Intr/Pace/Story/New/Vill/Resp/Dir/Music/FX/Spirit
    TMP------0-----0---0-----0-----1------2-----1-----2------1-----2-----2----0
    TWOK----2----2---2-----2-----2------2-----2-----2------2-----2-----2----2
    TSFS-----2----1----1----1------1-----1------1-----2------1-----1-----2----1
    TVH------2----2----2----2------2------2-----1-----2------2-----1-----1----2
    TFF-------1----1---1-----1------0------0-----0-----1------1-----1-----0----1
    TUC------2----2----2-----2-----2------0-----1-----2------2-----2-----2-----2
    GEN------1----1----1----1------1-----2------0-----1------1----0-----2-----0-
    FC--------2----1----2----1------2-----2------2-----2------1-----1-----2-----2
    INS-------1----1----1----1------1-----1------0-----1------1-----1-----1-----1
    NEM------2----1----1----1------1-----2------1-----2------1-----1-----2-----2

The four films consistently rated as the best (TWOK, TVH, TUC, FC)have the following high ratings in common:
    Char, Intrigue, Story, Respect, and Spirit, and probably Pace.

People don’t go to see ST movies for the action and FX – they go for the characters and the story, although they’re surprised when the FX aren’t good (STV), and expect a great sci-fi action sequence or two.

The lamest films rate lowest in Villain and Spirit.

Comments?
    Last edited by Kirok; 03-03-2003 at 11:55 AM.
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

Originally posted by AslanC
    We have set up a help centre for people like this

And we are sorry

Ugh, that was painful, I think my own spinal cord tryied to reach up and strangle me when i saw this movie.

I feel sick just talking about it

I was thinking a while ago about the whole nemesis (small "n") thing for Picard. Let's see...a villain, someone who could equal Picard: smart, interesting, cultured, EVIL.

Then I hit on it: Gul Madred (David Warner's character from "Chain of Command"). Why not bring Madred back, in command of a Cardassian ship, after the war.

I know it's kind of TWOKish, but after all, that was the idea: Give Picard someone who is his equal, and is out to get him.

Moreoever, this concept allows us to...

1) Tie back into the series
    2) Casual viewers could be given a brief (2 minute) synopsis (much like the explanation of Picard's assimilation in FC)
    3) See Picard in dire straits - we're so used to him being strong, let's see him turn to jelly when he confronts Gul Madred, the man who broke him (remember what he said to Troi at the end of "Chain of Command"?).

Set after the Dominion War, Madred has grabbed a cool, zippy-looking Cardassian ship (BIG one) which manufactured ketracel white during the war. Now, he's gotten ahold of a group of Alpha Jem'Hadar, and is waging his own private war against

1) Garak and the new government
    2) The remnants of the Dominion
    3) Picard

I haven't figured out the details yet, but some subplots thrown in could be Picard grappling with his feelings of helplessness and post-traumatic stress, Troi actually having a chance to do something constructive with her skills; exploring the reconciliation between Picard and Worf some (nothing major, but a mention or two would be nice).

David Warner is one of my fave Trek actors, but he never gets enough screen time (except for "Chain of Command"), and only lasted 1/2 an hour in UC, so I'd love to see him reprise the role.

And besides, I think it would be cool...
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

That would have been a great idea! David Warner is such a great actor, and Gul Madred was one of ST's greatest villains, I think. Good stuff!

Originally posted by Snake_Plissken
    That would have been a great idea! David Warner is such a great actor, and Gul Madred was one of ST's greatest villains, I think. Good stuff!
    Sound good to me as well! As mentioned above, I enjoyed Nemesis immensely, but that's a great idea.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

I think they need to sit down with the DS9 crew or the Voyager crew ... and make a tie-in movie.

Basically ... I would have only made bigger tie-ins with the Other two shows (since you can't tie-in Enterprise!).

We need a DS9 or Voyager movie in the next 5 years. I just demand it. Either one will suit me, because as much as people say that they dug themselves into a whole, and those series wouldn't work as movies ... I disagree. I think either of them would make great films ... probably a series of great films.

A DS9 follow up of the Dominion War with heavy emphasis on Cardassian/Bajoran/Federation relations (Since Cardassia is probably hurting pretty bad right now with about 900 million killed by the Dominion) ... and then throw in another sub-plot with 'The Prophets' and Sisko ...

Then the plot can be anything you really want ... a new Gamma Quadrant threat? Worse than the Dominion?
    ... Cardassian problems are leading towards peace, but there are many Maqui, Cardassians, and Federation who are afraid of this (basically a rip-off of ST:6)
    ... Borg? I know it's been overdone (possibly) ... but why the heck not? The Borg are great Villians, and now we could throw in the Queen again, and it might start to make sense to the 'lite' fan that the Queen isn't just ONE particular Queen ... that she is ... always there, etc, etc. Not very DS9'ish ... but it could be 'ok'.

A Voyager follow-up might not be what many fans want ... since so many just didn't like the series ... but I loved Voyager ... and I'd love to see a 'new Voyager' with a similar crew makeup ... Captain Janeway is back from her short 'reign' as an Admiral, etc ... Tom and Balana are back, with young child in tow ... The Doctor is back, possibly with a young wife character (much like the one we saw in the final episode?) ... Seven of Nine is back, this time, a newly graduated Ensign from Starfleet Academy ... Harry Kim is back ... Married or Not? ... Tuvok is back as his stoic self ... plenty of room for new characters as well. Might even be room for Chakote

The plot ... well, my best idea is to surround it with old familiar faces ... in other words ... they have word that the Borg are advancing on the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. The word comes from Nelix of course ... which draws him into the story when they return in a 'souped up' Voyager ... probably a whole new class of ship though ...

I dunno ... I think this would be a cool movie ... especially if you draw Species 8472 in as the REASON the Borg are 'advancing' ... they aren't really advancing so much as 'retreating with style' ...
    <b><font color=red>Vixen~of~Venus</font></b><br><a href="http://www.venution.net">The Venution Network</a>