Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If YOU would have had the power to make ST:10 would would you have done?

If YOU would have had the power to make ST:10 would would you have done?

obviously Nemesis and the brains behind it get their (much justified) share of criticism, but I think that it is often easier to criticise than to create (guilty as charged). In many ways, those responsible for Nemesis gave a lot of what a faction of the fans wanted: a movie much like ST2. Because of that I can understand partly why RB is confused.

so if YOU were the producer, and let's say that you had a fairly big budget and had the real power (had control over the actors and the director, not the other way around), what would you have done? Who would you have hired as actors? Stotyline? Effects? Concepts?

Keep in mind however that you are aiming for the general public and not necesarily at the hard core fan base.

I'd really like to start by giving an example but ... I have no idea

Two ideas off the top of my head:

1st- The aliens that infiltrated the Federation in "Conspiracy" have finally reached Federation space. A very dark "Thing"-esque movie full of suspense and intrigue - two things Trek can do well when it wants to. And it's easy for the non-fan to relate to - everyone knows the Federation and the crew of the E-E are the "good guys" and the Conspiracy aliens are the " bad guys."

2nd- More of a "fan's movie." Set on DS9 (establishing a continuity of events for the next Trek movie).

The movie would focus on the return of Sisko from the wormhole, and the ramifications of the Dominion War. The Cardassians are still rebuilding, the Breen are seething at their defeat by the Federation, and the Romulans blame the Cardiassians for the loss of the Tal Shiar in the Gamma Quadrant. The Dominion, though defeated still manipulate things behind the scenes (the Breen?) with Picard and the E-E caught in the middle.

Granted the second sounds more like a Trek campaign than a movie, but I know I'd watch it...
    Last edited by Mijoro; 02-26-2003 at 01:11 PM.

I would have kept the Romulans, but discarded the "Maximum Clonage" storyline. My story would have had something to do with the collapse of the Romulan Empire from within, but focused on the political and military situations rather than somebody being cloned.

We could have given Andreas Katsulas a chance to shine as Tomalak.

We could have dealt with some loose threads from TNG and DS9.

I like the "Conspiracy aliens" idea, except for one thing: The Trek movies make a lot of money by attracting non or 'lite' trek viewers... and a lot of them wouldn't know the backstory.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I would have kept the Romulan focus, but instead of Shinzon being a villian, I would have made him more of a flawed hero. I would have found a way to get Sela involved (if this is the last movie of the TNG cast, why not bring back Denise Crosby?) My focus would be on the internal convulsions in the Romulan Empire with the Federation caught in the middle. MAke Sela SHinzon's creator. Maybe have Spock in a cameo warning what was going on. Have all sorts of intrigue and double dealing mixed with space combat. Instead of Shinzon destroying Earth, why not Romulus instead?...forcing Picard to work with Sela to stop him....while watv=ching out for any of Sela's schemes.
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Exactly what was done.

It was a wonderful film and I enjoyed it.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

I think Nemesis wasn't flawed conceptually. The basic idea was pretty good. Or at least as good as a recycled movie concept can be.

It was the execution that was truly horrid. None of the characters had any room to breathe, important story points were introduced horribly (e.g. the way the whole Shinzon/Picard is the same person angle was handled), even the duality theme that ran through the whole movie was reduced to a dumb visual gimmick...

argh... must control... rage.... turning GREEEEEEENNN

HULK SMASH CRAPPY MOVIE!!!!

...err sorry... so much bottled up disappointment...
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

this thread isn't about trashing Nemesis... or stating how perfect it was (because if it were it wouldn't have bombed... obviously)
    but about what kind of ST movie you'd make if you were a producer.

In fact, forget Nemesis. Go back to 1999, after Insurrection and start from there. What kind of ST movie would you have made?

Originally posted by Rayaru
    Exactly what was done.

It was a wonderful film and I enjoyed it.
    Ditto.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by First of Two

I like the "Conspiracy aliens" idea, except for one thing: The Trek movies make a lot of money by attracting non or 'lite' trek viewers... and a lot of them wouldn't know the backstory.
    I didn't really know the back story to Star Trek II when I saw it, but I still became a Trekkie on the spot. If the movie is done well, it won't matter if the audience doesn't know the background.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

some people think it was a great movie... then again some people actually liked Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones... I even knew, get this, one person that actually liked Battlefield: Earth ... go figure

back on topic....

I often heard people linking Q with a TNG movie... would that be a feasable concept?

I really like the idea of using the aliens from Conspiracy, or the idea of having the TNG crew teaming up with Sela to stop an attack on Romulus.

1. Keep the ROmulans as the bad guys; the Reman thing was dumb.

2. Ditch the cloning idea, as well as the ultimate weapon stuff (they've tried it in almost every TNG movie; it never works...)

Romulan Senate is split by the pro-Vulcan factions and the vets of the Dominion War looking to strengthen the empire vs. the Klingons by getting cozy with the Federation. The Tal Shiar and other hardliners don't want it. Into this sails Enterprise, sent to negotiate with the Rommies.

POlitical intrigue ensues & Picard has to aid the pro-UFP guys, if only to get Enterprise out of the AO, before being destroyed. Maybe a secret base/rendezvous for the hardliner portion of the fleet. Add big fleet action at the end.

If we're gonna kill Data, kill Data. Not this cop-out B-4 crap.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by Joe Dizzy
    [B]argh... must control... rage.... turning GREEEEEEENNN

HULK SMASH CRAPPY MOVIE!!!!
    LOL

(ps. That movie is gonna rock!)
    Last edited by Robbert Raets; 02-27-2003 at 04:33 AM.
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Originally posted by Snake_Plissken
    I even knew, get this, one person that actually liked Battlefield: Earth ... go figure
    We have set up a help centre for people like this

And we are sorry

Deal with the aftermath of the War.

Don't make it a superweapon and/or save the Federation movie. In fact, how about turning it around and focus on a small group of well developed people. Get the audience invested in the guest stars and then 'threaten' them on a personal level.

Give the TNG crew difficult choices to make with no ethically clear option. (Something like when Worf refused to provide blood for a critically injured Romulan in the series). Given a presumed shortage of resources, ships and trained personnel, how would Picard decide who gets helped and who doesn't? (The critical vaccine can only go to the planet of cute children or cute puppies, which will he choose? )

How has the War changed the Federation mindset? Is the Federation still paradise or has it been slow to throttle back from the massive internasl security required when conducting total war with shapeshifting enemies? What elements within Starfleet, the Federation government, its member worlds and the like are in conflict with each other over what to do next? Elements on both sides of the conflict have important moral arguments but what is the greatest good for the greatest number?

How will the Federation treat its former enemies? To borrow from the DS9 Relaunch books, what if Odo sent a delegation of Dominion races (Vorta, Jem'Hadar, others) to Fed space to found a model colony? How do you keep a formerly hot war with the Breen from becoming a cold war which will inevitably lead to another conflict?

What happens when Klingons faced with no more glorious battles to fight are told to go home and return to their previous lives? (As accountants, spiked boot makers and door-to-door bat'leth salesmen). What can Ambassador Worf do to help resolve the situation and is he in complete agreement with the Federation (the implication being that non-Klingons have an inadequate understanding of the Klingon psyche).

How does a race like the Betazoids deal with the aftermath of total war and the rebuilding of their world? I'd hesitate to do it personally, but Troi's mother could be brought in and played more sympathetically than in the past.

Whatever happened to the remaining Orbs of Bajor which have been missing since the end of the Cardassian Occupation of Bajor?

Oh, and I'd probably have to work in Elias Vaughn somehow