Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FORUM GAME - Episode 1 "Frontier's Edge"

"Glen Laran", Soltar inclines his head. "I must respectfully disagree. While military strength is certainly a factor in peaceful relations between powers, it is not enough. Mutual trust and respect is a much more powerful deterrant. Your own very recent history shows this clearly. As a valued member of the Dominion, Cardassia was a loyal and useful vassal to the Founders. When that trust was lost Cardassia eventually rebelled, though your people must have known that it would have a high price. Threat of force, and actual use of force, did not deter the Cardassian people once they believed that the price was worth paying. Why then would you assume that force alone will deter the Romulans, or anyone else? If a people decide that their goals are worth the risk of war, and the price that comes with it, then the threat of force is no longer a deterrant. As I said earlier, even a Vulcan will turn to violence when no logical alternative presents itself."

"I submit it is far better, in the long run, to gain and maintain the trust of Romulus... and to assist them in achieving their goals. Then there will be no cause for threats, and no reason for war. It may take years, or lifetimes, and there will be setbacks... but we must make them our allies if we wish them to stop being our enemies."

"I speak only for Vulcan, and then only until such time as more senior members of our delegation arrive, but I suspect that; as shown by the construction of this station, the economic aid and disaster relief offered by the Federation, and the military protection offered to outlying Cardassian colonies, the Federation wishes good relations between itself and Cardassia. This is not driven by altruism, but simple logic."
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Originally posted by calguard66
    OOC: Clarification: is the station commander a Bajoran Starfleet officer, or a Bajoran Militia officer?
    Starfleet.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by calguard66
    "I speak only for Vulcan, and then only until such time as more senior members of our delegation arrive, but I suspect that; as shown by the construction of this station, the economic aid and disaster relief offered by the Federation, and the military protection offered to outlying Cardassian colonies, the Federation wishes good relations between itself and Cardassia. This is not driven by altruism, but simple logic."
    "I said it was an effective tool, but not the only one in a government's arsenal," Gir responds, a mischevious curl forming on his lip as he pilfers a drink off a passing tray, sniffs it once and takes a sip. "As a soldier, however, you do agree that the ability to defend yourself, the ability to at least make the enemy pay a high cost if he decides to strike, is just as necessary. Certainly your simple logic tells you that."

Gir glances down at the drink in his hand and frowns slightly, adding, "Man, this is terrible," before taking a larger gulp of the orange liquid.
    Last edited by Sea Tyger; 02-28-2003 at 05:31 PM.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

--------------------------------
    OOC : I don't know if enough time has passed for Dilek to have reached Sickbay and be back. If not, you can delay this scene as long as needed.

A few minutes after having left, Doctor Dilek re enters the room, grabs a fruit juice from a tray in wich he pours something from a medical doser. He then rather awkwardly approaches the group, and presents the drink to the couple of the Commander and the Legate, not seeming sure wich one to adress. "Here, I think the Commander... would feel better drinking this..."

-------------------
    OOC precision : the drug in the drink is a sobering drug (what would you expect anyway!), and it isn't Dilek's only dose...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by C5
    OOC : I don't know if enough time has passed for Dilek to have reached Sickbay and be back. If not, you can delay this scene as long as needed.

A few minutes after having left, Doctor Dilek re enters the room, grabs a fruit juice from a tray in wich he pours something from a medical doser. He then rather awkwardly approaches the group, and presents the drink to the couple of the Commander and the Legate, not seeming sure wich one to adress. "Here, I think the Commander... would feel better drinking this..."

-------------------
    OOC precision : the drug in the drink is a sobering drug (what would you expect anyway!), and it isn't Dilek's only dose...
    At pressing from Kuran, Julath takes a sip of the beverage. She seems to be doing better almost at once... which is a good thing because Admiral Jacobs has stepped up to the platform... it's apparently time for the speeches and such to begin.

OOC: Speech, speech, speech!

Originally posted by simkn
    OOC: Speech, speech, speech!
    Jacobs steps up to the podium that has been set up. "As representative of Starfleet Command and the United Federation of Planets," he says, pausing at various points for dramatic emphasis, "it is my proud honor to welcome all of you to Starbase 619." At this there is the obligatory applause from the visting dignitaries. Jacobs continues: "This station will stand as a symbol of peace and unity between the Federation, the Cardassian Union, the Klingon Empire, and all other major powers in the quadrant, that we may enjoy a new era of peace and prosperity together." More applause.
    Seeing that Julath is now, thanks to the medicine, relatively sober, he nods towards her and says, "Now it is my pleasure to introduce the commanding officer of Starbase 619, Julath Kithana."

Julath steps up to the podium now. There are some hushed, angry whispers- from the Cardassians and Bajorans in the room. The Cardassians mistrust her for obvious reasons, and her athiest philosophy and open disdain for the Bajoran religon do not win her many points with the Chamber of Ministers.
    She clears her throat and begins. "This Starbase is designated 619," she says slowly. "The number indicates that it is one of many, just another numbers on a fleet manifest sheet. But I believe that this station, this mission, this crew, will be different. Our mission is not vigilance or readiness for war, but the open acceptance of peace and cooperation throughout the quadrant." Tremendous applause, even from her naysayers in the room. Continuing, her gaze passes through the whole room, for the first time making eye contact with each and every one of you. "I have faith in this crew- my crew- and I know that they will all give their very best to the success of this station and this mission. I look forward to getting to know all of you." She pauses, unsure of what to say next, and then says, barely above a whisper, "thank you." There is more applause, and then she adds: "I've reserved tables for dinner at Muiroc's Restaurant on the promenade for the officers. I'd be grateful if you'd join us there in a little while to meet the rest of the senior staff that are not present here."

With that she steps down, as the applause continues. Even Admiral Jacobs seems pleased, although you can tell he will still be having a word with her about healthy drinking habits after the reception.
    At the podium, Kuran kisses her meekly and congratulates her on the well-delivered speech.
    Dinner at Muiroc's will be beginning in about an hour. You can continue socializing, retire to your respective quarters, or explore the rest of the station if you so desire. It's pretty much open to whatever you want at this point, so what are you all doing now?

Re: Mort

If possible, Mort will also get Lt. Solek speaking to the others. When he has a chance, he will ask Solek what he knows about Stellar Cartography, which happens to be one of Mort's favorite topics (and his Academy science specialization). If allowed, he'll carry on for hours about the latest mappings of binary black holes in the Cardassian region of space. [/B]
    Solek accepts Morts greeting a bit distractedly as he consults his PADD once again. Upon the mention of Stellar Cartography, Solek's intrest is piqued and will discuss various matter on the subject along with Astrophysics and Astronomy as the pertain this region of space.

Solek also mentions his interest in studing the Binary Black Hole and correlating the Data as it pertains to the distortion of space and time in the local region!

Solek will arrive for dinner at the exact time that the CO has asked the senior staff to arrive.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    OOC: What stellar cartography information to we have on this sector?
    Last edited by Karg; 03-01-2003 at 12:57 AM.

Mort is excited at having a chance to explore his new home and workplace. He invites Gir to join him, if Gir can stand to listen to Mort's excited prattle about the station's computer core. However, Mort will explore only briefly for now because he wants to be on time for dinner.

If Gir joins him, he will undoubtedly ask Gir for more info about his background, expertise, etc.

OOC: Incidentally, what is the status of the Cardassians aboard this station? Is Gir the chief engineer, and familiar with Federation technology? Also, if I'm not jumping the gun, I'd like to learn more about the station, at least what's available to Mort's knowledge at this point... for ex, how big is it, what's in it, what's it look like, etc?

If Gir joins him, he will undoubtedly ask Gir for more info about his background, expertise, etc.

OOC: Incidentally, what is the status of the Cardassians aboard this station? Is Gir the chief engineer, and familiar with Federation technology? Also, if I'm not jumping the gun, I'd like to learn more about the station, at least what's available to Mort's knowledge at this point... for ex, how big is it, what's in it, what's it look like, etc?
    OOC: The station is sort of a cross betweent the Cardassian Nor design and the standard Federation starbase... it has the outer ring surrounding by four docking pylon (facing outwards rather than inwards to accomodate larger ships) and a central hub remniscient of Federation design that takes the place of the central core of the Nor. Despite the fact that it sounds rather ugly, it looks rather aesthetic and color-coordinated to most eyes.
    It has many of the areas we saw on the DS9 TV show... Promenade, Ops, etc.

The Promenade has just as wide a selection of shops as Deep Space Nine. The Muiroc's Restaurant referred to above is a far cry from the bar and gaming establishments on most stations, although the promenade does have a bar, Muiroc's is for fine dining. If you're looking for a casual meal, go elsewhere. Muiroc, the owner, is an ancient Ferengi with a friendly smile and pleasant demeanor. He's relatively generous and fair with his prices- some of his employees have complained that old age has softened his "Ferengi values."

More info to come another time, that's about all I have energy and time to type right now...

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    ~I should have ducked out during the applause,~ Gir laments as he's accosted by the Bolian. But since he can't escape the blue-skinned Blue Flag, he might as well make the most of the situation and learn all he can of the operations officer.

As the pair begins to meander their way down toward the promenade, Gir begins, "Well, my family is old money. We've been a part of the Detapa leadership for several generations, and my grandfather's brother serves on the Council of Ministers.

"My older brother is taking over the family business, so I have the freedom to choose my own path," he continues. "I specialized in communication systems technology at Tarcatta, and most of my service has been in that field to date.

"So, tell me about yourself, Lt. Mort," Gir adds, turning the conversation toward the Bolian. "I'm interested to hear about your people and your family history. I've never actually met a Bolian face-to-face, you know."
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    "So, tell me about yourself, Lt. Mort," Gir adds, turning the conversation toward the Bolian. "I'm interested to hear about your people and your family history. I've never actually met a Bolian face-to-face, you know."
    Uh-oh, you asked him to talk about something... now you asked for it!

Mort has met many Cardassians before, though you will have to be patient to find out how. He begins with the history of Bolarus IX and then moves on to his expansive family tree...

To paraphrase, Bolian society is a team-oriented society noted for its scholars. Bolians are driven by honor and take great pride in their work. Mort comes from a family of renowned Bolian scientists. Both of his parents being professors at the Bolian Interstellar Research Institute, Mort began his education immediately. Early in Mort's childhood his gift for mathematics became apparent, as well as his eidetic memory... he remembers every last detail of what he learns and experiences. Rather than stay on Bolarus IX to study science with his kin, Mort was sent to Starfleet Academy because of his interest in exploring and studying other cultures.

In the Academy, Mort took a special interest in space sciences and various starship technologies, especially those that involve starship piloting and navigation. After a brief cadet cruise aboard a science vessel, Mort's first tour of duty was a deep space exploration mission. When the Dominion War began, Mort's expertise was needed on the battle front, and he was re-assigned as a starship helmsman aboard an Akira-class warship. During one particular skirmish with overwhelming Cardassian and Breen forces, his ship was destroyed. Mort was badly injured (hence his paralyzed right arm) and he escaped in an escape pod, only later to be captured by a Breen ship and taken to the icy homeworld of Breen.

At this point in his story, the normally garrulous Mort slows his speech and actually stops, lost in thought. No doubt his picture-perfect memory is recalling every little detail of his experience on Breen. For once, he is actually reluctant to share an overabundance of information. After a pause, he continues...

After the War, Mort was recovered by the Federation. In part because of his extensive experience and resultant expertise with Cardassians during the War, he was assigned to this starbase. Perhaps surprisingly, Mort never once demonstrates any hatred or anger towards Cardassians or even the Breen during his tale. His Bolian nature keeps him focused on teamwork and cooperation; he prefers peace, not war.
    Last edited by simkn; 03-01-2003 at 04:21 PM.

Selim will stay at the party for about half an hour, not avoiding conversations, but not seeking them either. After that, he'll regain his quarters to prepare himself for the dinner, and be at the restaurant about ten minutes before the specified hour.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

OOC: Just a note to all players. I have been posting threads about my new Alien Threat race I am developing for the game in the Narrator's Ready Room. So far I've marked these threads with long warnings in brackets after the thread title warning all you players that the topic contains spoilers and you're not supposed to read it. To shorten those warnings, I will now be tagging all such threads in the Narrator's Room with the tag [SB619] before the thread title. When you see this tag, it denotes a thread containing spoilers that are off-limits for players in this game. If you don't see that tag, it means the thread is unrelated to this game, or if it is related, that it does not contain sensitive material that would spoil your enjoyment of the game if you read it. However, most threads I post about this game in the Narrator's area will be marked with the [SB619] tag.

I trust you all, so I'm not being too paranoid about you looking at those threads.

Thanks,
    Evan

OOC: erhershman, i don't know if my post got lost up top but is there an answer?