Thread: RED DWARF Series 1 and 2 DVD- on sale in the US!

RED DWARF Series 1 and 2 DVD- on sale in the US!

Red Dwarf is one of the funniest series ever devised for televison, and I'm glad it's finally on DVD! It's been out on DVD for a few months in the UK, but available as of yesterday in the US. The show looks great on DVD.

For those of you who have never seen Red Dwarf, it is a show that mixes science-fiction and comedy, about a man named Dave Lister who becomes the last human being alive when he emerges from suspended animation after three million years. I can't really explain it in a way that tells how great the show is, so go to this adress and see what I'm talking about.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk

You know this show is good because it's the only show I can think of that has a media term, like 'Trekkie,' applied to its fans.
    Watch this show. Be a Dwarfer.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Dead excellent!

One Caviar Vindaloo for take away, please!

And hold the hologram

Talking

I hope I find these in a store as well....

I have this book, the Space Cadet's Survival Guide IIRC.
    At some point, it discusses various shipboard dangers;
    "Though radiation is very deadly, the only way it could be of any danger to the crew is if one of the drive's protective plates were replaced incorrectly, and nobody's that big a moron."
    Written under that, in a very sloppy hand: "Paging mr. Rimmer..."
    And the reply, less sloppy but definately more anal: "Smeg off."

The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Caviar Vindaloo? No thanks - make mine a triple fried egg sandwich with chilli sauce and chutney:

"You what?"

"It's a state of the art sandwich."

"It's the state of the floor I'm worried about!"

Oh, and the official term for Red Dwarf fans is "Smeggies", but not many like being called it, hence "Dwarfers"...

Let's get out there and twat it!!
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

Just got them both. Good thing, my videos were starting to degrade...

Add a Red Dwarf RPG shipping next week for good measure...
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Seriously??!!!

A Red Dwarf RPG??

Who's it by? Are they British or American (no offence, but the American attempt at copying RD was dire)?

What can you be as a PC? Lister's the last human alive. I suppose you could be Felix Sapiens (the second Ark carrying the Cat People "flew ever onwards"), a hologram or a mechanoid. Simulants are a bit too powerful to play as PCs. Or can you be the Curry Monster?

Ooh. I'm all excited...

Does the "Tongue-Tied" dance routine in joy
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

www.deep7.com has details, as does www.reddwarf.com

However Deep7 cannot ship it to the UK. A search of www.amazon.co.uk reveals it as being available for preorder in the UK. Supposedly it ships on Monday.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Originally posted by Capt.Hunter
    Seriously??!!!

A Red Dwarf RPG??

Who's it by? Are they British or American (no offence, but the American attempt at copying RD was dire)?

What can you be as a PC? Lister's the last human alive. I suppose you could be Felix Sapiens (the second Ark carrying the Cat People "flew ever onwards"), a hologram or a mechanoid. Simulants are a bit too powerful to play as PCs. Or can you be the Curry Monster?

Ooh. I'm all excited...

Supposedly you can create your own "crew," assuming the 'positions' that Lister, Rimmer etc. had on the show. Should be interesting... if they do it right. If it's done right, it'll be great. If it's done badly, it'll be bloody awful.

I wonder if the DVDs will be available for rental. I've heard lots of good things about Red Dwarf, but have never seen the show...

yay! Now just to convice the wife that this is worth the money.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Originally posted by JALU3
    yay! Now just to convice the wife that this is worth the money.
    Hey, for $50 U.S. you get 12 episodes + special features, and they are ALL good episodes, unlike the $100 Star Trek dvd sets where at most only half the episodes per season are truly good most of the time.

only problem is that my wife isn't a sci-fi fan. Anime, Yes. Sci-Fi, she looks at me funny, then kisses me on the forehead and tells me that she loves me then goes to the computer and begins to RPG

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Originally posted by Capt.Hunter
    Seriously??!!!

A Red Dwarf RPG??

Ooh. I'm all excited...

As one of the playtesters, let me fill you in on a bit:

It's done by Americans -- but by rabid American fans. Gavin particularly spent WEEKS watching the episodes over and over and over. (He claimed "Research" - but when he started taking photos of himself with his television saying 'And this is me watching "Back To Reality"' - well ... we cut him off pretty quickly)

One of the core compenants of the setting is that there are a LOT of universes out there. You can play humans, mechanoids, holograms, anthropomorphic animals (The book has - IIRC - Cats, Dogs and Rabbits).

The system is very light and runs VERY well for Comic RP - I helped by running a playtest for another game in the same system (Bloode Island XPG), and it can do the more serious stuff, too (but oh, the fun we had).

Gamethyme