Thread: Random thoughts on DS9's "Emissary"

Random thoughts on DS9's "Emissary"

Man, what a great pilot. It has everything I would want to have in a Trek RPG pilot. Action, interesting characters doing interesting things, a very thought-provoking plotline in the Prophets and the explanation of linear time, and just enough cool stuff to keep everyone satisfied. Every major character has something to contribute, and lots and lots of groundwork gets laid down for the entire series.

For some reason, watching Sisko struggle with explaining linear time and realizing what the prophets are getting at--that he's living in his past--struck an emotional chord in me. I was almost in tears when it built up and he says "No, it's not linear," and he realizes that he has to let Jennifer go and move on with his linear existence. Very nice.

And man oh man did Jake/Cirron Lofton grow up during this series! I had seen some season 6 shows recently, and going back to the beginning was a little stunning to realize how far some of the characters have come.

Hate the long hair on Kira. So glad they went with the short cut style for Past Prologue...

I agree with all of that... I'm not overly fond of DS9 as a whole, but I think Emissary is the best of the five Trek pilots. The emotional chord that strikes with me as when Sisko admits to the Prophets... "No... and I have never been able... to figure out... how to live... without her." That moment always makes me cry, and I am not one who is prone to tears in TV and movies.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

I love "Emissary." Definitely the best pilot. I also love the end to the finale. Even though Jake got kinda lost as a character during the war years, one of the best things about the show was always the relationship between him and his father. So while in "Emissary" we see Benjamin dealing with Jennifer's loss, in "What You Leave Behind..." we see Jake left in the same position. Wonderful, tearful last scene.

-- Daniel
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Weird thinking back on Emissary, in that it was ten years ago last month that it was broadcast for the first time.

Man, how time flies ...
    Voka a Bentel
    (May you walk with the Prophets),

Lt. Jabara Eris
    DS18 Station Counselor, Prylar and All-Around Groovy Guy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... Let us never forget Bajor's sacrifices under the Cardassian Occupation ...
    ... http://remember-forever.tripod.com ...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And IMO, it's holding up really well, even after 10 years.

IMO, DS9 began with the best-developed characters. Sure, most of them changed and grew over the years, but Emissary is the only pilot that really showed us who the characters were and what they were like. All of the other pilots just had actors saying lines; Emissary was about people.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

In my time of watching tv (which I don't do anymore, thus giving many people pause) only two pilot episodes ever held up over time -- the one for Northern Exposure and for DS9.

Not bad company, I should say.

Funny you should mention Northern Exposure. It's one of my fave series, and I just started re-watching it last week. Indeed the pilot does hold up well. Even given his circumstances, Joel was such a pain!

Originally posted by Sho-sa Kurita
    Funny you should mention Northern Exposure. It's one of my fave series, and I just started re-watching it last week. Indeed the pilot does hold up well. Even given his circumstances, Joel was such a pain!
    Quite true, quite true.

It's all about Chris-in-the-Morning and his majesting twin brother, Bernard

Now if only Sisko had sold Quark the concession on the stations vid-screens as Quark asked -- we could have had Quark (or Leta) in the Morning on W-DS9. Of course Bajoran music is pretty boring, so that may not be a good idea. And Klingon opera is NOT for everyone either. Good decision Benjamin!

-- Daniel