Thread: Preview of upcoming ENT episode (spoilers)

Preview of upcoming ENT episode (spoilers)

Does this sound familiar to anyone? This is from startrek.com, so it's official.

In "Cogenitor," the NX-01 is studying a hypergiant star within a century or two of going supernova, when they encounter a slightly more advanced alien race, the Vissians, doing the same thing. The two crews become fast friends, but the fact that the Vissians are a "tri-gendered" species raises Trip Tucker's curiosity. He meets a nameless individual called a "cogenitor," and is concerned about the way that person is treated by the other two sexes.

Sounds an awful lot like TNG's "The Outcast" to me.

Sigh... just when they were doing so well...
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

I'm reserving judgement... I said the same thing about Canamar, and I ended up enjoying it a lot. It's no doubt a clone of that TNG episode, but maybe they can put a different spin on it... *shrugs*
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

It seems to me that it will have a similar theme, but probably a different plot. In "The Outcast", that society sought to cure the illness that was perceived to exist in individuals with gender-belief (they had a special name of the therapy).

In this episode, it seems unlikely that the Vissians will be looking to "cure" the cogenetior. The theme is likely to revolve around ill-treatment based on sexual dimorphism, as did 'The Outcast", but may be more similar to the experiences of women around the time they were fighting for suffrage and other rights.

I don't see enough in this blurb to make a call one way or the other about the quality.

Originally posted by Rayaru
    I'm reserving judgement... I said the same thing about Canamar, and I ended up enjoying it a lot. It's no doubt a clone of that TNG episode, but maybe they can put a different spin on it... *shrugs*
    True enough... I'm just saying it doesn't help them to win over the naysayers who think ENT copies too much from the previous shows if their marketing blurbs make them sound like clones of other episodes.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)