Thread: What are your playing aids?

What are your playing aids?

I'm curious to ask all you gamers on what you guys and gals use for playing aids? Or do you just use the paper and pen and some imagination to conduct your sessions?

I've got the Ultimate GM's Aid, Laptop Computer!

Well, my game is online... so I'm sort of forced to use my computer. Other than that, my only references are the character sheets for NPCs and my sick, demented imagination
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

CD player and a pair of speakers which I plug for music. Cue cards with main NPC material and important background. Pen & paper are a must.

Not much else, unless I have extra time to prepare.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Hmm...RP aids.

Screen (home-made), Laptop computer with music CDs and (when playing Trek) the Star Trek Fact Files (inaccurate, by and large, but with tremendous cutaways, deckplans and visual aids )

The main programs I have on the laptop are:

WinAmp (for music)
    The actual documents I need (though I print hard-copies as well)
    Excel (for NPCs and ship stats)
    Campaign Cartographer (now that I've completely ported the ST Atlas into it, it makes figuring out distances a snap)
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

So i guess no one uses miniatures or counters

Originally posted by Space_Cadet
    We have a complete set of ST micro-machines that we use (pluse most of the SW micros--used for miscellaneous space craft). Works really well, just wish they could have been to scale.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

I use a lot of stuff for my games, not just Trek, but Star Wars and LOTR as well.

Microsoft Word, for session notes, campaign notes and ideas, other writing, etc.

Excel for a XP spreadsheet

Avery office products for printable index cards, binder tabs, etc.

Lego minifigs as miniatures. Nothing else I've seen is as customizable, and I can't paint.

The occasional prop, map or the like.

Music when I can fit it in, though I tend to just recap last week's session and move right into the next one.

I have a Yahoogroup for both my SW game and my LOTR game. They're hugely useful for file-sharing, calendar updates, general comments on the games, and email role-playing and out-of-game conversations.

Originally posted by Space_Cadet
    I/We always use them when we play in a fantasy setting.

Don't use them much in Trek- LOT less combat so little need for minis.

Laptop is cool for keeping my notes straight- Many different windows open for various things.
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

I have been trying to figure out what programs on my laptop to use, and what to use them for. Right now I just don't know, everything comes out messy and scattered. Any suggestions?

I prefer just WinAmp or any other program that will play CDs and MP3s.

Then leave Adobe Acrobat open to open up PDFs If I need to.

Excell for Character Sheets and Starship Sheets.

MS Word (or any word processor) for my notes.

And Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer if I need to load Map Pics - or any other pic that the players think they need.
    <b><font color=red>Vixen~of~Venus</font></b><br><a href="http://www.venution.net">The Venution Network</a>

Sony Vaio Slimine computer: pictures of characters, ships, etc... Most of the paperwork, ship sheets, etc are on it.

The occasional use of the Enterprise blueprints. And we have a model of a Galaxy class ship with decals for our ship nearby to aid with the imaginative juices.

That's about it.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by redwood973
    We have a complete set of ST micro-machines that we use (pluse most of the SW micros--used for miscellaneous space craft). Works really well, just wish they could have been to scale.
    Well forgot about that

Have a set of the Away team mini's from LUG and 12 Klingons from FASA

Use Micromachines for Ships

Have a Vynal Hex map with erasable marger for character combat