Thread: Williamsburg area tourism

Williamsburg area tourism

I notice there's quite a few posters from Virginia - a big state I know - but it can't hurt to ask...

This April my wife and I are going to spend a few days vacationing in Williamsburg, Virginia while our daughter spends a week with my parents.

We're interested in seeing a bunch of the historic sites - Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, etc. Just looking for some general advice and suggestions. Also I'm curious if it is worth the hundred mile drive to head to Monticello, never having been there.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

www.history.org

That's the site for Colonial Williamsburg. LOTS to do and see.

Ineti and I honeymooned there.

Oh, and I can't give you any insight into Montecello - I've lived in VA for 32 years, and I've never been there. But I spent one week every year in Colonial Williamsburg (my mother is a member of the Foundation).

Oh, hey, my wife beat me to it.

If at all possible, stay in one of the inns in downtown Williamsburg. Everything in town that you could want to see is within walking distance, including the little shops and restaurants not actually part of Colonial Williamsburg.

Of course, if you want to catch other sights that you'll have to drive to, staying in Colonial Williamsburg may not be a big deal.

If you get a chance, go to the evening revelries at Chowning's Tavern. It's a lot of fun.

If you have the time a trip to the Qartermaster Museum at Fort AP Hill is more then worth the hour drive. Petersburg is not to bad as while.

I have been to both and loved them. I lived in Virginia for the better part of my life. (pauses for laughs ) It is worth the time and money.

Williamsburg is close to lots of other sites in VA -- it's not much of a leap to DC, if you have a mind, and fairly easy to get to Monticello, et alia.

Oh, and the multiple ACW battlefields, American Revolution (ditto), and all the rest of the ilk.

I find Williamsburg to be a lot of fun -- been there three times in my time on the planet. The taverns are ALWAYS worth a visit, especially after they changed the liquor laws so they could serve rum punch there

if you want to get a stack of pancakes at the Colonial Pancake House on Page street, here is a coupon to print out...

http://www.colonialpancake.com/coupon.htm

The Trellis is a great place for lunch and the Cascades Restaurant is nice for dinner, both kinda pricey, but hey, you're in Williamsburg. If you go to Yorktown, there are a couple of old houses that have cannonballs still imbedded in the brick. If you can't find em, the locals should be able to point them out, no problem. Yorktown has two museums, Yorktown Visitor Center at the battlefield, (about $5 to get in) and the Yorktown Victory Center ($8 bucks!). They both have websites that list other points of interest, too.

The York River is beautiful on a clear blue day. For the love of Benji, don't miss the seafood. About 15 minutes south of Yorktown on George Washington Memorial Hwy (Rt. 17) in Grafton, York County, there is a game shop in Grafton Shopping Centre. There's nothing all that spectacular about the shop except that its located next to the best pizza joint in the area; Joe & Mimma's Pizza.

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    I went to Montichello as a kid. I loved it, but I've always been a gadget & technology freak.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper