Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes in store for ENTERPRISE?

Question Changes in store for ENTERPRISE?

This was on Sci Fi Wire today...

Enterprise Alters Course?

Producers of UPN's Enterprise told TV Guide that they will make a "slight revision" in the show's course to make it more epic, according to a report on the official Star Trek Web site. Executive producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga said the show will soon embark in a new direction.

Expect "epic challenges ... that better exploit the sense of awe and danger" for the crew, Braga told the magazine.

Berman added, "Let's just say there will be a slight revision in our mission, and a slight revision in the part of space that Enterprise is heading into."

... Me again! Any thoughts on what this "slight revision" could/should be? I'd be interested in seeing people's thoughts.

Hugh
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

If this happens, Enterprise wouldn't be the first Trek series to hit the reset button mid-stride.

I'm afraid the necessary revision isn't the one they're actually making -- a revision to the creative team. At the very least, kick Braga to the curb. Ideally, swap out both Berman and Braga.

Until that happens, I don't expect any fundamental changes in Enterprise -- or its ratings.

Hopefully they're eighty-sixing the boring "Temporal Cold War" storyline, and getting ready to start things up with the Romulans. IIRC, the Earth-Romulan War is supposed to be 2 years away as of the second season - it'd be nice if they started laying the groundwork for it.

Buth then again, Trek continuity isn't really one of ENTERPRISE's strong points.

Translation:

"Our first lame ass idea isn't bringing in the ratings. So, to save our jobs, and milk the cash cow even more, we will be using Lame-ass idea Number 2."

As stated above they need to delete B&B and then it might be a good show.

They have been doing much better on Enterprise of late, and I hope that the trend continues. But I fear that in their effort to develop more "epic" stories, they will allow the advances that they have made in story and to fall by the wayside.

I think that they need to start laying the foundations of the Federation, not in terms of what the politicians are doing but in terms of Archer making positive contacts with some of the other races. A lot of success has been had with the Andorian stories, why not start going through other races from Journey to Babel? They mention the Tellerites every now and again for example, why not concentrate on something like that? Contacting new races, forging the alliances which will some day lead to the Federation.

Of course if you want a prediction for where they will go, I think that will go along with the "new part of space" comment. It is 2152 in Season 2, the Earth-Romulan War begins in 2156 and ends in 2160, no doubt there are numerous border disputes between these two powers beforehand; particularly if you bump up the timeline in the series ("Gee Cap'n Archer I can't believe we just spent the last 2 years patrolling between here and Kronos..."); Maybe the events of the Temporal Cold War will move these two species into conflict with one another earlier, with greater intensity, and the series finale will restore the timeline to some semblance of its original sequence.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Come on, at least they're TRYING. What would rather, that they just said "screw it" and kept the show the way it is for seven years? I didn't think so. It shows courage for B&B to try and effect changes that hopefully will improve the show, so we should not stand around complaining about how their changes are stupid, useless, etc. when we haven't even SEEN them.

Oh, and there's a friend of mine behind me who suggests that while they're revising the show, that T'pol should be wearing clothes instead of a painted-on bodysuit. Which I think we would all agree to.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Originally posted by erhershman
    Come on, at least they're TRYING. What would rather, that they just said "screw it" and kept the show the way it is for seven years?
    I don't really think you want me to answer that question.

I also assume that it will be the Romulan-Earth War. I just hope, it won't be a new edition of the Dominion War, I do not know if two trek series should have a war as main topic.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Arrow

* chuckles and cackles insanely *

Oh, let me guess... they're going to wrap up the TCW arc and then reset everything, so we'll be basically going back to the time period of the last season (the launch of Enterprise NX-01) for the remainder of the second season.

IOW, it's nothing more than stealing a plot from Dallas (i.e., the murder of Bobby Ewing was just a dream sequence).

Oh, this is going to be a hoot! At least there will be no more temporal migraine for me.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by Phantom
    I don't really think you want me to answer that question.
    It was kind of a rhetorical question, I admit.

EDIT NOTE: Oops accidently posted my thoughts in two different posts when I meant to edit the one above.

As for the revision, I hope to God it's not the Romulan wars... DS9 drove me nuts in the last two years with almost EVERY episode dealing with the war. Plus, as mentioned above, two Trek shows dealing with war would be repetitive, not to mention depressing.

Arrow

Originally posted by Evan van Eyk

I also assume that it will be the Romulan-Earth War. I just hope, it won't be a new edition of the Dominion War, I do not know if two trek series should have a war as main topic.
    I doubt they can play the war in the background like TNG did with the Federation-Cardassian War.

The first Warp 5 starship with an experienced crew will have to be there with the other starfleet starships. Otherwise, it would be like the Gulf War without the Mighty Mo battleship and the Big E aircraft carrier.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I just had a great idea for the "revision" This idea I think would make both people like me, who like ENT, and people who would rather Archer and Crew didn't exist in the Trek timeline, happy. It definitely qualifies as a major revamp, could be seen as stupid by some people, and will probably happen the day hell freezes over, but here it goes:

In another "Suliban episode," the NX-01 is transported to the century Daniels is from, where the Temporal Cold War began. Rather than trying to find a way home ala Voyager, they resolve to stay in the future, somehow finding a way to upgrade their eight centuries out of date technology and stop whoever is behind starting the TCW. And in the final episode, they discover they can only stop the people who started the war involves erasing themselves from history. So they make a heroic sacrifice and save the timeline from destruction by evil enemies.

Cheesy? Yes, I know. Cliched? Perhaps. But the final episode of a series that went that road would definitely make the people who don't consider ENT "canon" happy, that's for sure.

Changes, huh?

How about actually developing the friggin' characters, before you start revamping the series? I still don't get why every episode has to revolve around Archer, T'Pol or Trip.

If those three were the most interesting characters (as for example was the case with Picard and Data in TNG) I'd understand. But the three of them are so mind-numbingly bland.
    Compared to them even Chackotay had depth.
    It's Generic All-American Guy with Dog, Generic All-American Guy #2 and Generic Cold Chick.

I so want Enterprise to be good, but I'm just throughly disappointed.

At least Stigma, Cease Fire and Future Tense had some moderately entertaining Trek-like storytelling. Here's hoping this wasn't simply a lucky coincidence.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.