Thread: Saturn Nominations for ENTERPRISE and NEMESIS

Saturn Nominations for ENTERPRISE and NEMESIS

Check this out:

http://www.startrek.com/news/news.asp?ID=127940

Looks like Star Trek isn't dead, Jim.

Although they are up against some very stiff competition. At least better Trek people got nominated this year... I almost wanted to scream when Jolene Blalock won a Saturn Award last year for "Actress in a TV Series" or something like that. There are many things I like about ENT, but Jolene Blalock is not one of them.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Arrow

Unfortunately among the list, Jolene Blalock is the better choice this year.

I predict David Boreanaz will win. His portrayal of Angel/Angelus tops Bakula's portrayal of Captain Archer.

Michael Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex Luther (with the help of actor John Glover who portrayed his father Lionel) will garner the award over Topless Trip.

Alias should win Best TV Series, with Jennifer Garner as Best TV Actress.

As for ENTERPRISE, ... you know who to blame, yet I will not utter his name.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Oh please! Those two were the best Leading Actor and Supporting Actor? C'mon guys, R. Dean Anderson and Chris Judge do a better job. And sticking with a theme, the two actresses who play Carter and Doc. Friaser are way better then T'Pol. Whoever put the list together must've been smoking crack.

And Nem up for an award...The End is near. Well, I have to go talk to 4 guys about some horses.

Originally posted by Phantom
    Oh please! Those two were the best Leading Actor and Supporting Actor? C'mon guys, R. Dean Anderson and Chris Judge do a better job. And sticking with a theme, the two actresses who play Carter and Doc. Friaser are way better then T'Pol. Whoever put the list together must've been smoking crack.

And Nem up for an award...The End is near. Well, I have to go talk to 4 guys about some horses.
    As much as I love both ENT and Nemesis, I'm kind of forced to agree. The acting on Enterprise is the thing I like least about it. And putting up a Star Trek movie for an award is unfortunately a bit obligatory nowadays, no matter how badly it does.

Originally posted by erhershman
    As much as I love both ENT and Nemesis, I'm kind of forced to agree. The acting on Enterprise is the thing I like least about it. And putting up a Star Trek movie for an award is unfortunately a bit obligatory nowadays, no matter how badly it does.
    Ok, I'm scared now. Perhaps the end is approaching. We agree on something!

Arrow

Oh please! Those two were the best Leading Actor and Supporting Actor? C'mon guys, R. Dean Anderson and Chris Judge do a better job.
    Perhaps, but I could never feel comfortable with RDA version of O'Neill. He keep cracking up jokes that like his teammate, I can't laugh at stale ones (that's all of them). I always like the Kurt Russell version.

As for Chris Judge, I'd say he and Michael Rosenbaum can go toe-to-toe, but I've always favored the the development of Lex Luthor over Teal'c.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

They had to do that with his character, the Kurt Russel version, while well done, was too moody. Which would have caused a much more darker show. I much prefer RDA's light hearted way of portraying the good Colonel. But, each to his own.

Arrow

"Lighthearted"? He thinks he's Jerry Seinfeld cracking a joke almost every sentence. I mean really, do you want to go on a high-risk mission with a Jerry Seinfeld as your unit leader?

It would have been better if Chris Judge is nominated Best TV Actor and RDA is Best Supporting TV Actor.

And yeah, I like the moody ones.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Well, Like I said "to each his own."

Ok, I'm scared now. Perhaps the end is approaching. We agree on something!
    Hey, miracles do happen occasionally

It's not hard for me to agree that the actors on ENT are awful- although it's not necessarily always their fault, as dialogue, particularly Archer's, is often badly written. Poor Scott Bakula is pretty much being used as a marketing tool... given no opportunity to show his talent because his character is so poorly though out, but being advertised in all the commercials to draw in viewers. When the show premiered, the line that was in all the previews for the first few weeks was, "Scott Bakula stars in an all-new ENTERPRISE!" That made me want to throw up. I think there are other reasons to watch the show other than Bakula.

Originally posted by erhershman
    I think there are other reasons to watch the show other than Bakula.
    (Rutledge voice)

...and they are?

(/Rutledge voice)

Originally posted by Ineti
    (Rutledge voice)

...and they are?

(/Rutledge voice)

It's Star Trek.

It's Star Trek.

And oh... did I mention it was Star Trek?

I have never in my life watched a show or movie just because a certain actor is in it, and Bakula on Enterprise is no exception.

Actually, I thought the TV O'Niell was cool. And that he told jokes because he's totally out of his depth.

I still love that scene where he actually understood what the scientist was saying.
    "Whom do you serve?"
    "The Truth"
    "What is the truth?"
    "That we are one people, with one voice"
    "Will you follow me into fire, will you follow me into dartkness, will you follow me into death?"
    "Yes"
    "Then follow"
    - Dukhat & Delenn, In the Beginning

Just regarding O'Neill's character, Movie vs TV Series.

Point 1) You can get away with the central character in a movie being dark and moody - not a series. Certainly, have other characters that are somewhat dark and moody (can anyone say "Worf", "Odo" or "Seven of Nine"), but never the central, pivotal one.

Point 2) The "lightening" of O'Neill actually makes sense in the context of the story. In the Stargate movie, O'Neill was suicidal - his son had accidentally killed himself with O'Neill's own gun and he felt responsible. His marriage was on the rocks. He had to be moody.

But the movie, as stories should be, was about his growth as a character - his "redemption", for want of a a better word. By the end of the film, he had become more "normalised", able to deal with many of the issues that plagued him. Daniel Jackson was instrumental in that, in many ways, as was Skaara.

So by the time SG-1 starts, a year after the movie, it makes perfect sense to me that O'Neill is on his way "back" to his "normal" self - prior to his marriage break-up and his son's death, which I think would be enough to make anyone moody!

Then again, I'm probably talking through my hat because I can't stand Enterprise...I'd rather watch Voyager, and that's saying something...whilst I love Stargate SG-1, so my opinion on this is probably worth its weight in the electrons it takes for you to read this!
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...