Thread: haaaaaaaa help plz!

haaaaaaaa help plz!

I'm going nuts!

I wonder if anyone can help me out- I'm trying to design hex counters (like the ones for the FASA starship game) but I'm having a hard time adapting the images I've found to a small black hex format.

Any hints?

Thanks!

If you use Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop I would say use a basic shape of a hexagon. Cut out the interior of it so that the inside is transparent. Make a new layer and position the hexagon on the topmost layer. Slide the image into the place holder as a layer underneat the hexagon shape and recolor it black although most starships do have a blackish background on the web.

that is exactly what I've been doing and it does work fine for some ships I have found but I have 2 main problems: 1- I wasn't able to find top-down views for a lot of ships and 2- some ships aren't coloured which means I have to 'paint' them.

thanks!

And that's why we PAY for gaming products. 'Cuz sometimes the only way is the pain-in-the-neck way.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

I am out of ideas then. Oh well.

And that's why we PAY for gaming products. 'Cuz sometimes the only way is the pain-in-the-neck way.
    tell me about it! I'd gladly pay real money for such counters. The other day I was making counters for another game and I thought I was real smart since I could field up a large fleet without having to buy tons of miniatures so I'd save tons of money. I found out that by doing so I emptied the colour cartridge that was bought recently on my printer... a replacement one costs $89 bucks. Great!

it's a good thing that across the street there's a printing shop I know the guys there; they charge me dirt cheap for laser printing so at least that'S one mistake I'll be able to avoid in the future.

http://www.shipschematics.net/

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/

Both of these sites have tons of images and lots of good ones you could use

Hope it helps dude

thanks but I've been there already. I found a neat compromise though; actually I have 2 solutions. One would be to use the powers' symbols (like the UFP seal, the Romulan bird, etc) on the hex counters with a big number to identify the ship. The map would look like some sort of strategic display. The other solution is that I found (I think it was at ex-astris) all of the ship silouhettes drawn in black against a white background. I can simply use those and colour them according to which fleet they belong (eg UFP=blue, Klingon=red, etc). Neither of them is perfect but they'll work!

Thanks all for the help!