Thread: Close Combat

Close Combat

I realise the earlier versions of the game "Close Combat" are getting pretty dated now, but I recently was given a copy of Close Combat 2: A Bridge too Far, and absolutely love it.

I downloaded and played demos of 3 (Russian front) and 5 (Normandy), and I've ordered 4 (Battle of the Bulge) from a nearby game store.

Has anyone else played 'em? I think they're sensational (though I do find combat in the later ones - 3 onwards, to be lethal in comparison to two. In 2, you had a fair chance of storming a German MG-42 position; not a hope in the others).

Anyway...just thought I'd throw in today's anachronism!
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

I've enjoyed the ones I've played. I think the fact that they are "old" is a good thing, the user interface can actually be figured out in a few seconds - unlike the Master's degree that is required with some games.

I don't really want to have to spend an hour reading a manual - I just want to play.
    TK

Originally posted by toadkiller
    I've enjoyed the ones I've played. I think the fact that they are "old" is a good thing, the user interface can actually be figured out in a few seconds - unlike the Master's degree that is required with some games.

I don't really want to have to spend an hour reading a manual - I just want to play.
    Plus, they also run well on my "Model-T" Celeron 600!

Unlike the newer games that come out, advertising as an advantage, that you need a "Pentium XXII, 256 Ghz CPU and a gazillion Mb, 512-bit video card!"
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Originally posted by Aldaron
    Unlike the newer games that come out, advertising as an advantage, that you need a "Pentium XXII, 256 Ghz CPU and a gazillion Mb, 512-bit video card!"
    Hey I worked hard to get my computer up to that. THank you very much

I played one of the old CC games. I liked it. Whenever I buy a computer game I can't wait to get my hands on the manual. I start installing the game but my favorite part is cracking the cover of that manual. I love games that have big manuals like Neverwinter Nights and Flight Simulators. I read the whole manual before I play for the first time.

[EDIT] Actually put something useful in my post.
    Last edited by Lt Cmdr Matt; 03-11-2003 at 05:36 PM.

Originally posted by Lt Cmdr Matt
    Whenever I buy a computer game I can't wait to get my hands on the manual. I start installing the game but my favorite part is cracking the cover of that manual. I love games that have big manuals like Neverwinter Nights and Flight Simulators. I read the whole manual before I play for the first time.
    Yeah, I'm like that too. Unlike my sisters, who just bash the buttons until it works. I hope I can track down a copy of AoW2 soon.
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....