Thread: Template: Type 1 Artificial Life-form

Template: Type 1 Artificial Life-form

Here is a template for one type of artificial life-form that I have designated Type 1. I was influenced by the AI in the Voyager episode "Think Tank."

Artificial Life-form Type 1 (Mechanical and Immobile)

Personality: Varies according to character concept

Physical Description: Depending on technology level, can be any size from small handheld size, to that of a large mainframe computer, and any size in between.

Homeworld: Planet or place where created.

Culture: Type 1 artificial life-forms often adopt the culture of their creators, or have no culture at all. If the latter is apparent, they simply have not spent any species skill points and these points are available at any time.

Languages: Binary computer language protocols, and language of creator.

Common Names: A type 1 artificial life-form uses whatever name it is assigned upon creation; or if independent, it is able to name itself. There is no one specific naming scheme for this type life-form.

Example Names: Landru, X-34533, V’ger, Tanru, Vaal

Favored Profession: Any, except those that require locomotion or movement.

Species Adjustments: Strength and Agility equal to 0, +2 Vitality, +2 Intellect, -4 Presence. Type 1 artificial life-forms are immobile but they are durable and intelligent. They are often very uncharismatic, and can be rather blunt at times.

Species Abilities
    • Bonus Edge: Eidetic Memory: Artificial life-forms are considered to be sentient computers, they are able to store any data they are directly exposed to. See page 134.

• Bonus Skill: Computer Use: Artificial life-forms are innately able to utilize other computers. They gain the Computer Use skill (see page 110) at skill level 1. Artificial life-form characters can treat this as a professional skill for the purposes of skill acquisition (see page 98) and advancement (see page 153).

• Self-Diagnostics: By the use of internal sensors and advanced BIOS subroutines, it is able to diagnose damage done to the chassis or to software. Self-Diagnostic sub-routines repair software damage, but is able to identify damage to hardware systems. To diagnose damage to any systems requires a successful test (TN 10) and a successful test (TN 10) to repair software damage.

• Flaw: Emotionless: Any character with this flaw will take a -2 to all Social skill checks, nor can they use courage points for any Social checks as well. Special: This flaw can only be bought off by the use of 1 advancement

Type 1 Artificial Life-forms may initially choose 1 of the following, and purchase up to 2 additional abilities. Each will cost 1 full advancement:

• Built-in Communicator: Artificial life-forms with this ability are able to communicate with others who use subspace communications

• Self-Repair: A type 1 artificial life-form is able to repair damage done to its chassis, or to its internal hardware. The method of repair is usually nano-robots, or replication of broken components. Upon making a successful test (TN 10), the life-form regenerates a total number of wound points equal to 1 + its Vitality modifier each hour. This ability may be upgraded just as a trait. Self-Repair 2 decreases the test time to each ½ hour. Self-Repair 3 decreases the time to ¼ hour. This ability cannot be upgraded past Self-Repair 3.

• Self-Defense Weapon: The Artificial life-form is armed with the equivalent of a Type 1 Phaser which enables the life-form to defend itself.

• Appendages: The life-form is equipped with appendages that allow it to manipulate items in its environment, but they do no allow locomotion. This ability gives the life-form a Strength and Agility of 4 respectively. These attributes can be improved as non-favored attributes.

• Armor: An artificial life-form with this ability has a chassis that is created from a damage resistant material. The life-form is able to reflect damage equal to 3 plus the life-form’s Vitality modifier. (see “Armor,” page 91 of Narrator’s Guide)

Nifty!
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Not too shabby.I think you've just given me an episode seed.I,ll get back to you.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

Wayy cool!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Here is my template for androids. It is very, very similar to the type 1 with just a few differences. It is has a few areas that are highly variable and depend on narrator's discretion. I hope everyone likes it.

Artificial Life-form - Android

Personality: Varies according to character concept

Physical Description: Depending on technology level, can appear to be completely human or as any other species, or as a mechanical version of that species.

Homeworld: Planet or place where created.

Culture: Androids often adopt the culture of their creators

Languages: Binary computer language protocols, and language of creator.

Common Names: An android can have any variety of names. These include Human, machine designations, or any combination

Example Names: Andrea, Data, Lal, Lore, Ruk, Juliana Tainer

Favored Profession: Any. Androids are capable of performing any professions that other species are capable of.

Species Adjustments: +0 to +4 Strength, +0 to +2 Agility, +0 to +4 Intellect, +0 to +4 Vitality, +0 to +1 Perception, -6 to +0 Presence. Android abilities run the gamut form normal to superhuman, except for presence because they often exude the feeling that they “seem” artificial.

Species Abilities
    • Bonus Edge: Eidetic Memory: Artificial life-forms are considered to be sentient computers, they are able to store any data they are directly exposed to. See page 134.

• Bonus Skill: Computer Use: Artificial life-forms are innately able to utilize other computers. They gain the Computer Use skill (see page 110) at skill level 1. Artificial life-form characters can treat this as a professional skill for the purposes of skill acquisition (see page 98) and advancement (see page 153).

• Self-Diagnostics: By the use of internal sensors and advanced BIOS subroutines, it is able to diagnose damage done to the chassis or to software. Self-Diagnostic sub-routines repair software damage, but is able to identify damage to hardware systems. To diagnose damage to any systems requires a successful test (TN 10) and a successful test (TN 10) to repair software damage.

• Flaw: Emotionless: Any character with this flaw will take a -2 to all Social skill checks, nor can they use courage points for any Social checks as well. Special: This flaw can only be bought off by the use of 1 advancement

These abilities are in addition to those acquired through Personal and Professional development packages, as well as advancements.

Very nice!

But one question:

Originally posted by Chris Jones

What skill do you use to self-diagnose?

Should there also be a mention of what skill is required to repair damage to androids, or are they all assumed to be self repairing?
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Hmmm, good question. I believe that should be up to the narrator. These characters could become munchkin rather quickly especially the android, and that was one of my worries. If I would choose a skill, it would be Computer Use (appropriate specialty Narrator sees fit). If you have a munchkin character use Computer Use, Repair, or whatever skill makes it a bit more difficult. I would say, leave it to the narrator's discretion.

That was one of the big problems I see for these types of characters. Data was often overpowered, bending steel and knowing everything. There has to be something to counterbalance those things or you will have d20 insanity.

Originally posted by Greg Smith
    What skill do you use to self-diagnose? Should there also be a mention of what skill is required to repair damage to androids..?
    To diagnose hardware problems, Structural Engineering (Androids) seems the most logical; for software problems, System Engineering (Positronic Brains). Just my two cents...
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Just some random ideas (some of from the core ICON books some five-fingered from these boards ).

Engineering, Material (Structural/Spaceframe). This takes care of the body. ["Hum. . .well lets see if we can get this arm back on ya and that dent out of your side, shall we?"]

Engineering, Systems (Robotics). This takes care of the internal workings. ["O.K try making a fist. Perfect. The drivers had gotten disconected from the motivator. How did ya manage that. Well, anyway I got them back on for ya."]

Engineering, Theoretical (Positronics). This takes care of making the whole thing tick. ["Nope this time had nothing to do with the drivers or motivator. Problem in the sub-routine. The commands were not going through. Should be fine now"]

Like I said. Just some thoughts.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Self Repair is just another term for the Regenerate special ability (pg 220 of the Narrator's Guide) If that will simplify things a bit.