Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sovereign Class

actually as I've said in another thread the ship stats, to put it mildly, aren't the best part of the SOM.

I wouldn't put too much stock in them until the Starship book comes out.

Pulse phasers, ablative armour, quantum torps...

Oh, how I hate the Enterprise-E!!!!

Should be the USS Munchkin. I mean, really, the thing took out a Borg cube (with help, admittedly) - it's just too damn tough. I haven't seen Nemesis yet, but the warbird Shinzon's on had better be one mean mother to even look like threatening the E-E.

Give me the Galaxy - looks nice, comfortable - and not indestructible!
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Should be the USS Munchkin. I mean, really, the thing took out a Borg cube (with help, admittedly)
    I'd also point out that it only did that because Picard was hearing voices in his head. I think the suggestion was they all boned up until that point. Certainly, there's no way the Enteprise-E could do much better then the -D

Pulse phasers, ablative armour, quantum torps...
    It also should be noted that none of these (Save the quantum Torpedos) have been offically confirmed on screen. Personally, I don't see the ablative armour (The hull looks like the -D in terms of texture, and there are loads of windows - unlike the covered hull of the Defiant - plus I dunno how you cover those nacelles) or the pulse phasers.

It's not that it's the USS Munchkin really, it more that some people (Especially in computer games) try to make it that.

And Nemesis does rather shatter the Aura of invincibility. But then so did Insurection.

Mark
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

Originally posted by pathstrider

And Nemesis does rather shatter the Aura of invincibility. But then so did Insurection.
    Yeah, but that's just 'cos Riker was in command!

Think about it...

The Tamarians kick his butt.
    The Enterprise-D gets taken out by a B'rel Bird of Prey(!!!!) while he's in command.
    The So'na kick his backside when he's in the next "most advanced ship in the fleet" - and all he's doing is firing the occasional quantum torp back.

And then they gave Riker his own command???

Must have been the same mob who made Janeway an Admiral(!!!!!)

Oh well...I'm finished stirring for now
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

Talking

The Enterprise is NOT a munchkin vessel. The Scimitar was! Although it was an awesome fight at the end of Nemisis, I realized that this is what it would look like if the Enterprise had to take on an Imperial Star Destroyer!!!
    "Target all your firepower on the nearest Federation starship!" Yoda, Episode II

Originally posted by Aldaron
    Must have been the same mob who made Janeway an Admiral(!!!!!)
    Not an uncommon institutional practice. Promote her to a position where she can't do any more damage: deliverer of instructions to Starfleet captains.

The same sort of thing happened in my local school district a few years ago.

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

Imperial Star Destroyer

Just as a devils advocate:

Quite frankly, I think the Enterprise A could easily have taken on an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Lets see, "turbolasers and ion cannons, as well as "concussion missiles" (per SWRPG by WOTC) versus phasers and photon torpedo... antimatter devices...

The shields between the two universes seem different as well, but I think the Trek shields take more of a beating. In addition, the destroyers seems slow and ponderous when not at hyperspace.

The Death Star, is another matter. Death Star versus Borg Cube?
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

well according to ICS ep2 2Attack of the clones an acclimator transport had weapons that could throw out 200 gigatons of energy per shot . A federation Photon torpedo at most has a yield of 64 megatons gien that they have 1.5 kg antimatter warheads.. Star Desatroyers also have the advantage of being a pupose built warship with armor nd bracing . Thats my take on it

Re: Imperial Star Destroyer

Originally posted by ImperialOne
    Just as a devils advocate:

Quite frankly, I think the Enterprise A could easily have taken on an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Lets see, "turbolasers and ion cannons, as well as "concussion missiles" (per SWRPG by WOTC) versus phasers and photon torpedo... antimatter devices...

The shields between the two universes seem different as well, but I think the Trek shields take more of a beating. In addition, the destroyers seems slow and ponderous when not at hyperspace.

The Death Star, is another matter. Death Star versus Borg Cube?
    Don't even have to consider that...

Star Trek ships can fight at Wap Speed, Star Wars ships are stuck at Sublight. No contest

Star Destroyers look cooler. Ergo they win, at least in my book.

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

A demonstration of Federation ships fighting at warp speed please and how will that help when the Empire goes for the planets themselves?. Star Wars shielding when its up is nasty in and of itself A star Destroyer accrding to the book Isards revenge can take 5 broadsides before one of its SIX shield generators goes out,it has a shield for each facing and they open small holes to fire through them. thats approximately 30 yottatons or 30,000 gigatons of energy needed hope you have plenty of thopse torpedoes ready.

Quite frankly, I think the Enterprise A could easily have taken on an Imperial Star Destroyer
    oh yeah? Well...well...HE-MAN could take them all out! Blindfolded!

So there!

Am I making my point?

later days!

Mark
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

Originally posted by Typhonis 1
    A demonstration of Federation ships fighting at warp speed please and how will that help when the Empire goes for the planets themselves?. Star Wars shielding when its up is nasty in and of itself A star Destroyer accrding to the book Isards revenge can take 5 broadsides before one of its SIX shield generators goes out,it has a shield for each facing and they open small holes to fire through them. thats approximately 30 yottatons or 30,000 gigatons of energy needed hope you have plenty of thopse torpedoes ready.
    AH but nobody said anything about bringing planets into this. we're talking about starships

BTW where are you getting these weapon yeild figures from?

Also where do you get that a ISD has 6 generators? Those TWO spheres on top of the Conning Tower are the generators.

( i'm stopping myself now before this become some stupid Star Wars vs Star trek Fanboy war )

Actually, I think Curtis Saxton at the Star Wars Technical Commentaries pretty well conclusively demonstrates that the spheres on the conning tower cannot be the shield generators. Apart from anything else, what would possess an engineer to put shield generators in such a vulnerable position?

(I know, I know. Probably the same lunatics who put a hole in the Death Star leading straight into the main reactor! )

I'm at work at the moment, so I don't have the book with me, but I think the Cutaways books put the shield generators pretty deep within the hull, from memory.

God, why are we arguing about this????

Isards Revenge details two Star destroyers duking it out

Curtis Saxton wrote the Incrdible cross section book for Episode 2 Attack of the clones and gave the figure of 200 Gigatons for the output of the Acclimator transprts main guns .200 gigs each .It was the star destroyer looking ship

A star destroyer has 60 guns of at least 200 gigatons throw weight each .thus it boils down to simple math 30x200=6000 6000x5=30000.

And why planets you ask? because they are the backbones of the Federation .