Thread: Scouts

Scouts

The Talon class from SRM1 is one of the slowest Federation vessels presented. It is classified as a scout, and is noted as being very useful in fighting the Dominion, how is this justified considering the very low relative speed?

Re: Scouts

Originally posted by Kodiak
    ...and is noted as being very useful in fighting the Dominion,...
    I can't find that mentioned in SRM1 dude. It only says about one ship that it "performed crucial recon missions behind enemy lines during the Dominion War".
    Given that the Talon can be carried in a standard sized shuttle bay this doesn't have to travel all by itself to where it performed the recon. Let's say a fast starship makes an incursion behind enemy lines and drops off a Talon in an 'interesting' system. If you do it right the enemy will never know they have a scout snooping around their vital installations. All they'll know is that a ship came and went, likely assuming it was only a fast recon. Then the Talon does it's job, staying in-system for a few days, and leaves under it's own power for a pick-up outside the enemy-held system.
    Risky, but usefull if you need more flexibility than an automated recon probe would give you.

Lancer, thanks for clarifying that point. I made the assumption that the “crucial reconnaissance mission” had to involve moving under its own power.

Why do you think I put two Talons and two Danubes on board the Hawkins?

I admit I was influenced by the US Navy S-3 Viking aircraft, an aircraft I think the US Navy is mad to get rid of considering it great capabilities as multi-Role Aircraft capable of a wide variety of missions; Scouting, ASW, Electronic Intelligence Gathering, Tanker and Carrier Onboard delivery of passengers and cargo.
    "Those Klingons are up to something, I can feel it in my bones"
    Cmmdr JT Wayland
    Strategic Operations Officer, Starbase 415, Dragomer Sector, Klingon Border, 2372

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Thanks for the replies, the Talon I think would fit into the paradigm of "aircraft," rather than true ships. But it could hide in the upper atmosphere of a gas giant. Covert Ops, perfect for PCs.