Thread: [CODA] interpretation of warp speed v. ship size

[CODA] interpretation of warp speed v. ship size

This question is sort of related to the Scout question, but what is the official [Decipher] interpretation of any correlation between ship size and warp speed capabilities?

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Looking at the warp propulsion system costs chart (table 9.9, on p. 141 of the NG), it seems that smaller ships can be just as fast as larger ships. However, larger ships are limited in how small their warp engines can be.

So, there is no correlation between size and warp factor, except that larger ships must purchase larger warp drives.

For example: A size 8 TNG-era Starship is limited to Class 6, 6.6, 6A, 7, 7.2, 7.6 or 8 warp systems (or from wf 6/7/8 to wf 8/9.6/9.982). However, a size 3 ship could fit all warp systems except class 1...although it wouldn't have much else if it had a Class 8 drive.

(I, personally, don't agree with this philosophy -- the ship's warp velocity should be a number based on the ship's drive output vs. it's size...larger ships should be harder to push, and a smaller ship's structure shouldn't be able to handle a drive built to push a heavy explorer -- but, hey, it fits the system quite well and I'm happy with it.)
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    (I, personally, don't agree with this philosophy -- the ship's warp velocity should be a number based on the ship's drive output vs. it's size...larger ships should be harder to push, and a smaller ship's structure shouldn't be able to handle a drive built to push a heavy explorer -- but, hey, it fits the system quite well and I'm happy with it.)
    And the whole warp thing breaks the known laws of physics anyway. So if a warp fields allows you to sidestep the lightspeed barrier it might just as well change some of the other factors involved.

Plus the smaller ships can be very fast, but only if they have the space to spare for the better drives. On many designs you might not have that luxury, but if your design concept calls for a small fast ship (say a courier) you'll be able to build it.

Besides, the way the rules are now makes balancing the game easier: D'deridex or Borg cube on your tail and your ship can't outfight them? Well chances are you can at least outrun them.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    As I said, Lancer, it fits the system quite well. But it's just that gearhead in me that gets going sometimes....
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Spacedock is the same.

Presumably warp speed isn't affected by mass. It is simply based on the power output of the warp core and the size of the nacelles.

I guess that large ships need bigger warp core to power their other systems, thereby giving them a higher warp speed.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

That works, it has interesting implications for strategic scout designs.