Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ejected Warp Core as a missle weapon?

Originally posted by AslanC:
    The Saguenay (ejects) it's warp core right into the Warbird. At the same time they tractor the Saguenay and do a thruster boost to get it out of the way. Should bloody the nose of the Warbird enough to make them reconsider attacking anymore
    I really think that blowing the warp core would do more than bloody the NOSE of the Warbird.

...and I would give the Romulans a roll to see if they *can* use the tractor beam tactically.

R

If I remember right, in Insurrection the E-E ejected the warp core, then Geordi detonated it by remote control. If the player's ship can do that, the odds of catching the warbird in the blast radius would be much better.

Here's how I would try it.

1. When the warp core begins to overload, flee from the warbird and start venting high energy warp coil plasma.

2. Fire phasers on multi-spectrum wide-beam setting to interfere with warbird sensors. Eject core into the plasma smoke trail. This provides more sensor interference.

3. Prepare a wide spread of torpedos to keep the warbird where you want it. If it is moving too far to starboard past the warp core, fire the torpedos farther to starboard to force the warbird to dodge to port. That will put it back closer to the core.

4. As warbird reaches nearest distance to core, detonate.

I would definitely have a contest of starship tactics for the two commanders. The good guys better be ready to ante up some courage points, too. If they lose, the warbird won't be suckered.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Thats pretty good Sarge!

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

It's not exactly clear whether the Starfleet ship is at warp or not during this maneuver, but it doesn't really matter. With a Warbird in hot pursuit, I'd say the ship would be doing at least full impulse at the moment it ejects the core. If that's the case, it will easily clear the blast radius in time (remember, the Enterprise saucer wasn't up to full speed when the stardrive section blew, and was thus caught on the edge of the explosion). If the ship is at warp when it drops the core, there is even less of a problem, as we know from Voyager (and the Tech Manuals I think) that a ship will continue to "coast" at warp for a short time while the warp field dissipates.

I know it's a last-ditch tactic, but you'd better hope the Rommies can't get reinforcements there before Starfleet can, 'cos without that core you ain't puttin' up much of a fight!

------------------
    "Hunter to Tempest, beam me outta here - fast!"

"Energizing... Oh, wait! I forgot to reset the emitters..."

"Chief?!!"

"Just kidding!"

Capt.Matt Hunter and Transporter Chief Andy Macintyre, USS Tempest, NCC-81205

I remember the one time I ever had to deal with jetisoning the Warp Core. I was flying in a Kingon B'rel and we had some baddies in the Badlands where we found a rather rich asteroid field chock full of goodies, rare minerals and so forth in the campaign.. the baddies decided to claim jump the field, and when we came in to fight, they launched some illeagal subspace weapons *name eludes me but was seen in ST: Insurrection*

Now As you can guess, Subspace tears and badlands don't mix, and the shockwave damage we figured would reach all the way to Bajor and Cardassia, so I being ther closest ship had no choice but to jetison my warp core to kill the explosion.. took my B'Rel out of ther fight and the klingon was not a happy camper watching the other ships go in battle...

If the ship is 'going at full impulse' when the core is ejected, the core will be going the same speed and direction. (momentum)

Either the ship has to turn around to get away from the core, or the core has to be accelerated away from the ship. The speed you start at doesn't matter you'll still be sitting right on top of it unless you do something.

I suppose the the core would be a better sublight missile than an antimatter pod, since it has thrusters to boost it away from the ship. That would give it a limited seeking ability, and you could pack quite a bit of antimatter in it.

Still, if there's an asteroid field around, hiding an antimatter pod on one and getting the enemy to fly past would be fairly easy.
    Then, you can detonate when the enemy flies by and they get vaporised by a planet-sized blast, while you still have your core, and get away safely.

If you're at warp, I'd suggest dropping an antimatter pod. When it leaves the warp field, it'll drop to sublight, and be torn open by the stress. You then have a nasty patch of antimatter that the enemy runs smack into at warp speed.

Going through a nebula at maximum warp speed is bad enough, but this is antimatter Besides, which, at warp speed, they're only a second behind you and have no time to react.

Originally posted by Steve Long:

I recall reading somewhere that Romulan ships eject their cores dorsally and forward, specifically so they can use them as a weapon if need be.

Steve Long
    That was the way the Romulan Admiral defeated the Taurhai ship. from the Way of Dera Box set. great work there too. My group really hates Rommies now.

------------------
    Captain Darkbane
    U.S.S. Lexington NCC-1709
    "Set Phasers to Stun? who's idea was that? {resets phaser to disrupt} They'll never notice."