Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The good 'ol captain slams Star Trek

I think Shatner is right on this one. IMHO it doesn't matter if its his opinion, he's simply stating something which has become obvious to the "old" guard fandom. We're old geeks (well apart from me, I'm only 21 but I've watched every last TOS episode), and they don't like what Trek has become.

TOS, TNG and DS9 were awesome series which really boosted Trek IMO. VOY and ENT were in a category I won't define. I watched most of the VOY episodes and I watch ENT if there is nothing else on TV.

And anyway, he's Captain Kirk, he's been typecast his entire life after that role. He can be a little bitter.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Originally posted by Phantom
    You are parroting no matter what side an arguement you are on.

And what, you don't agree with Darwin?

And it was the Sphinx that was created by an earlier civilization, not the Pyramids.

There is a world of difference between parotting and holding an informed opinion.

Actually I do agree with Darwin, I was merely using it as an example. But my belief in evolution is based on my scientific education and studies, not purely on the word of others.

There is no definitive proof a lost civilisationbuilt the Sphinz. It's a fairly tenuous theory in fact, IMHO.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Shatner is certainly entitled to his opinion. However, his is (based on his own admission) an uninformed opinion. That makes it less valuable to me than other opinions. The fact that he and I agree on certain points is, I suspect, more coincidence than anything else.

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    Actually I do agree with Darwin, I was merely using it as an example. But my belief in evolution is based on my scientific education and studies, not purely on the word of others.

There is no definitive proof a lost civilisationbuilt the Sphinz. It's a fairly tenuous theory in fact, IMHO.
    As are mine.

The Sphinx one was an off hand joke, but since you obviously took it way too seriously...where is your proof? I'll stick with the geological and design evidence that I've seen with my own eyes.

I like a good debate, if you would like to continue by all means drop me a PM.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Cool

Originally posted by Lt.Khrys Antos

And anyway, he's Captain Kirk, he's been typecast his entire life after that role. He can be a little bitter.
    It's a bit ironic that Shatner's comedic role in Third Rock from the Sun is the Big Giant Head.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Actually I didn't take it seriously. I was just being dry. Remind me to use a smilie next time.

I doubt I've heard anything about the Sphinx that any other layman hasn't. I'm certainly no expert on Egyptology and geology.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

I can understand dissing Voyager and (most of) Enterprise.... but not TNG. It's just as hard-core as TOS (and lasted 5 years longer, being a better TV show :P)
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Originally posted by Rayaru
    I can understand dissing Voyager and (most of) Enterprise.... but not TNG. It's just as hard-core as TOS (and lasted 5 years longer, being a better TV show :P)
    I'm not sure he was, but then having never watched it how could he really know.
    Personally, I think some people just listen becauase he's Shatner, and others just because what he says agrees with their opinion. Those people don't care if he actually knows what he's talking about or not.

Talking

Okay, I'll throw my hat in the ring here. Shatner is arrogant, Shatner is typecast, Shatner can be a whiny baby when he doesn't get his way. But he was Kirk, and Kirk was the man. this does not make his opinion right though.

That said, I agree entirely. I loved TOS, TNG and DS9, but Voyager disappointed me greatly. It had such potential, but the writing was abominal. I lost interest in it almost immediately save for one or two jokes I directed at Seven of Nines ample Borg implants. But that aside, Enterprise has not lived up to my hopes really. I was one of the folks who griped about warp five getting you from earth to Qo'noS in 4.5 days, and about the Akira-prise design of the ship. I got over that...mostly. But I cannot excuse the writing, the franchise has lost its edge, though that may be the wrong word for it. I can't put my finger on it totally, but something has been lost and I don't know how they will ever find it again. I do see good episodes from Enterprise now and then, but I only stay on it long enough to know the plot, once I know it, I know if it is worth my time.

Nemesis had great tech and it was nice to see the crew together, but I think that is all I can say for it exept that it gave me a couple of ideas for a Trek episode in my campaign once.
    Like anyone is actually reading this.

The Shat!

I agree that Wild Bill is probably not the best judge of good entertainment (his best "work" was wandering around a convention wearing a rubber mask, pestering the vendors), but he probably sees enough of the industry from inside even if he hasn't sat down and watched it on the tube. There's no way he can look at it as objectively as we can. Still, he ought to give Enterprise a chance before he lumps all the series' together.

Wil Wheaton has been an insider for a while and watches trek. He seems to agree with The Shat <a href="http://www.wilwheaton.net/mt/archives/001236.php#001236">here</a> and <a href="http://www.wilwheaton.net/faq.php#trek">here</a>.

Now Wheaton's opinion I respect

Mind you, last I heard he likes Enterprise

Originally posted by REG
    It's a bit ironic that Shatner's comedic role in Third Rock from the Sun is the Big Giant Head.
    And what a great role that was.

Fitted him perfectly I thought.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

I can't help but wonder if all this mudslinging against Shatner that exists on this thread would be here if he said Trek was the greastest thing since air?

I mean really, what does his acting ability have to do with anything about what he thinks of the show, huh? Can someone tell me that?!

The guy is way more in the know then anyone here, unless you can pick up the phone and talk to B&B and the writers on the shows. I don't parrot his opinion...I'm just glad someone near the production of the show has some sense of how bad Trek has gotten over the last few years.

Originally posted by Phantom
    The guy is way more in the know then anyone here, unless you can pick up the phone and talk to B&B and the writers on the shows. I don't parrot his opinion...I'm just glad someone near the production of the show has some sense of how bad Trek has gotten over the last few years.
    In the know? I'd hardly say that. Just because he COULD be an insider on the production and has contacts with Paramount doesn't mean he actually DOES. If he doesn't watch the shows any more, I find it hard to believe he would bother to check in on the production.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Perhaps that is exactly where he got info from...checking in on the production. Ever think of that? Yes, the man is, almost insufferablely, arrogant...What leading man isn't? Unless someone can put down some proof that the guy is totally ignorant of what is going on in Trek...I think people should back off. Or at least stop running him down professionally, his acting ability has nothing to do with his opinion of Trek. Except for those who list mud slinging to no purpose as a hobby...I really thought people, for the most part, around here were above that. I seem to have been mistaken.