Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Herbert's Children of Dune

Frank Herbert's Children of Dune

Anybody see the premier tonight?

I thought it was great ... I'm not objective enough at the moment to decide if it was better than their Dune miniseries ... but it was pretty freakin' good.
    <b><font color=red>Vixen~of~Venus</font></b><br><a href="http://www.venution.net">The Venution Network</a>

Not yet, it isn't on in my area until Apr. 13th. Glad to hear it was good.

It's on in approximately 20 minutes in my area, as of me writing this. I'm watching the repeat of the original FRANK HERBERT'S DUNE miniseries right now. The trailers for Children they're showing during the commercial breaks look damn awesome!
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

I liked it. I thought the first was better, so far, but then again, Dune Messiah , which this episode was based on, was never my fave, either.

The girl playing Alia can't act...but she's sooooo easy on the eyes.

And Ican't stand Susan Saradon. Good thing she's a villain.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Watched it last night. In some ways I actually thought it was better than the first... I liked FRANK HERBERT'S DUNE but there were some areas I thought it did badly in: the scenery, particularly the desert backdrops, were kind of cheap in the first one, and also I felt like it was WAY too graphic with sexual content, that was not present in the book. I think the sex scenes in Part 2 of FHD should have been omitted, personally. But then, that's just me.
    So I liked it. I think the actress who's Alia will do all right in the next two episodes (she doesn't actually have that big of a part in Dune Messiah).

By the way, did anyone notice the brief appearance of Alice Krige (aka the Borg Queen) as the Lady Jessica in the scene where she learns of the stone grinder attack on Arrakis?

I now want a Dune RPG!
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Saw it last night, durring our regular Star Trek RPG session (consequently, not that much playing got done, but we did pick up a new player and get his character created).

All told, I thought they did a pretty good job catching the general gist of Dune Messiah, and deviated from the story little (though since I haven't read Dune Messiah in some years, my recollection isn't what it might be). In that respect it was better than their Dune mini-series. Then again, they compressed an entire book into two hours (minus commercials) so the full weight of the politics of religion theme from the book couldn't be felt; they were forced to mention it in passing and get on with the action.

Still, they told the story that needed to be told, didn't make up large segments out of whole cloth, and didn't have many scenes which were obviously a low-budget desert (pile of sand in front of matte painting). I'll give the first installment a thumbs up. Hopefully the rest will continue in this vein.

I now want a Dune RPG!
    I'm working on it! A Coda adaptation of the ICON version. Just don't hold your breath, you'll run out of oxygen long before you see results (though I do have the Skills chapter almost done). My one problem would be disseminating it to interested parties without suffering somebody's copyright wrath, since I've found that I'm having to paraphrase a lot of material which someone else has already written. Just inserting a reference to a page doesn't seem to work well enough.

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

Well I'll gladly by an ICON Dune, just not for $400.00 !.
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    Well I'll gladly by an ICON Dune, just not for $400.00 !.
    Just got one for $60.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I'll pay you $60.01!
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    I'll pay you $60.01!
    I think the odss are stacked against you...

Ooooh....don't worry. I'll beat myself up on that one...

John Stuart Mill

Didn't see part 1 ,was busy playing Star Trek(good thing Sci-Fi reruns it's mini-series frequently).I've seen the Dune rulebook for $150 and really can't bring myself to pay that much.Does anyone think Dune will (realistically) be ever be picked up by an RPG publisher again?I've heard that the Herbert family is difficult to deal with.I would LOVE to play Dune.I found conversions for the Silhouette system(just skill and weapon lists actually)online .Not enough to work with and I'm not into playing someone else's homebrew.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

I just finished watching the tape I made on my VCR of Part 2, since I missed it while it was on TV. I think it was even better than the first part, and I can't wait for Part 3 later tonight. I love the scene in Part 2 where Jessica confronts Alia in the council hall, where she tries to convince the Fremen that they "cannot abandon the desert." The acting in that scene was good, and the subtle environmental messages of the Dune series are really played out there. They did a great job.

Have they used the same actors?

Paul was good in the latter half of the original trilogy - I thought he was too whiny and petulant in the first half, but then, they were trying to point out how young he was, I guess.

Chani was wonderful, as was Stilgar, and I thought Jessica was great, as well...I hope they bring all of them back.

Well, not Jessica, obviously...Alice Krige???
    Oh, God I hope she has better dialog and direction than in that Dinotopia mess, where I kept praying she'd get eaten by a T-rex at some stage...!

My great hope is that somehow, somewhere, they lost the address and phone number of the guy that played Gurney Halleck in the trilogy...please, please tell me he'll never "act" in front of a camera again.

The only other film I've ever had to actually leave the room through somebody's squirmingly embarrassing bad acting was Thora Birch's...umm...performance (??)...in an horrific mistake called The Dungeans & Dragons Movie
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Originally posted by Aldaron
    Have they used the same actors?

Paul was good in the latter half of the original trilogy - I thought he was too whiny and petulant in the first half, but then, they were trying to point out how young he was, I guess.

Chani was wonderful, as was Stilgar, and I thought Jessica was great, as well...I hope they bring all of them back.

Well, not Jessica, obviously...Alice Krige???
    Oh, God I hope she has better dialog and direction than in that Dinotopia mess, where I kept praying she'd get eaten by a T-rex at some stage...!

My great hope is that somehow, somewhere, they lost the address and phone number of the guy that played Gurney Halleck in the trilogy...please, please tell me he'll never "act" in front of a camera again.

The only other film I've ever had to actually leave the room through somebody's squirmingly embarrassing bad acting was Thora Birch's...umm...performance (??)...in an horrific mistake called The Dungeans & Dragons Movie
    Yes, except for Alice Krige, they used all the same actors in this one- Alec Newman as Paul, etc. As I mentioned above, I think Alice Krige does a great job as Jessica, although I like the actress from the first miniseries better.