Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Drunk Irish Day!

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?

Talking Happy Drunk Irish Day!

Happy St. Pádraig's Day to to all who're wearing of the Green (or even wearing of the Orange) on this fine day.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

There's something wrong when the Irish have a national holiday, but the American Scots don't...and 'Tartan Day' just doesn't cut it.

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Wait - they don't celebrate St. Andrews Day in the US? Whoa. Of course, this side of the channel we see the Scots as a buncha lazy layabouts for whom life is one BIG holiday! (Joking, guys, joking!! Call off the William Wallace impersonators!!!)

Being half-Irish meself, oi'm partakin of a glass of Caffrey's Irish Ale e'en as we speak. Have a good one!
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

The local bagel shop is selling green bagels.

poster

I join qerlin in calling for a Scots holiday...

I want to celebrate my heritage...

Join now, the campaign for:

"Paint Your Face Blue, Behead A Neighbor, and Take All HIs Stuff" Day!
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

As an Irish-Canadian of non-Christian persuasion I can't help but wonder why a Catholic holiday marking a Saint who drove the Druids (snakes) out of Ireland is so popoular.

But oh well.

Erin Go Bragh.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Erin Go Bragh!

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, my fellow Irishmen (and IBG ).

(And since I'm also part Welsh and part Scot, I'm all for holidays to celebrate those parts of my heritage....as if I need an excuse to grab an ale! )
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

poster
    Last edited by StyroFoam Man; 03-17-2003 at 02:45 PM.

poster

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Yes, we must have a holiday for the Scots. Even if the Scottish side of my family didn't move there until the 11th century or so. Still, this explanes much about my debating style...
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I too am Irish (well, 75% anyway). The thing is, everybody thinks "Biggins" is English. It could be, considering the Hell my Uncle Bill went through when The Hobbit came out (but that's another story). I did some digging and discovered my family's name was originally named "O'Bigin" from the western county of Ireland (Meath?) but, like many American families, had their name changed by a lazy civil servant on Ellis Island. I'm not complaining. It turns out that many of my ancestors left to avoid not only the Potato Famine, but several uncomfortable questions concerning horse theft.
    Insert something clever

Originally posted by First of Two
    I join qerlin in calling for a Scots holiday...

I want to celebrate my heritage...

Join now, the campaign for:

"Paint Your Face Blue, Behead A Neighbor, and Take All HIs Stuff" Day!
    Ooh! I like the sound of that!
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Robbie Burns day would be a good one for you guys.

Or if you want something relgious St Andrew's Day.

Now think of the poor Welsh and Brettons.

What will they do?