Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Drunk Irish Day!

Well, we have St-Yves' day, or was the day of St-Aubin-du-Cormier the breton national holiday (don't really remember, the latter is not commemorated as a saint, but as a battle we, sadly, lost against the french... but we usually blame it on the welsh archers regiment which assisted our own ).

What about the Cornish and the Manx, what are their holidays... They always seem to be the ones everyone manages to forget...
    Last edited by Ensign Arrgh; 03-17-2003 at 05:32 PM.

Aren't they hens and cats?

Cornish and Manx?

Anyone?

Is this thing on?

/me taps mic

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Originally posted by AslanC
    Aren't they hens and cats?

Cornish and Manx?

Anyone?

Is this thing on?

/me taps mic
    Sassenach! And let's not forget the Galacians from northwestern Spain
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Just as long as noone starts talking about the Frankish Gauls....
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Alright let's limit this to celts who have their own land or their own language

I mean if we really want to get into it there are Celtic tribes that made it as far as China

And they all decended from early Spaniards.

That limits it to
    Certain
    - Scotland (Alba)
    - Ireland (Eire)
    - Cornwall (Kernow)
    - Brittany (Breizh)
    - Wales (Cymryr)
    - Isle of Man (Mannin or Manau)

Pending
    - Galicia (Galizia, they didn't maintain their language up to now however)
    - Asturias (same case as Galicia)
    - Nova Scotia (IIRC, the treaty of Utrecht had it under the Scottish crown)

Claims
    - About half of Europe, colonies in all the Americas and parts of Australia

Originally posted by Ensign Arrgh
    - Nova Scotia (IIRC, the treaty of Utrecht had it under the Scottish crown)
    I was born in Nova Scotia, they speak English, French, Gaelic and even Bretton in some areas.

Very odd place, full of nice freindly folk and others who will split your head open, just like anywhere else

I was born in Nova Scotia, they speak English, French, Gaelic and even Bretton in some areas.
    There's still people speaking Gaelic and Breton in Nova Scotia... they are resilient to say the least...

Very odd place, full of nice freindly folk and others who will split your head open, just like anywhere else
    It sums up most of humanity's habitat...

There's still people speaking Gaelic and Breton in Nova Scotia... they are resilient to say the least...
    Largest Bretton speaking population in the world my man, according to the Celts Mini-series (which is about 15 or 20 years out of date now). So modern Britanny might have upped it, but in the 80s it was Cape Breton (Nova Scotia) that had the lionshare.

I am Irish and Catholic. So I celebrate it for obvious reasons

As a scion of the folks of the island of North Uist, happy day, for whatever reason.

Besides, I might NEED to get drunk tonight...

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    - Isle of Man (Mannin or Manau)
    Actually, Manx is currently a dead language. No native speakers left. On the other hand, there's a strong effort underway to revive it. One of my favorite local folkies (Beth Patterson) sings in it & keeps up with the effort to bring it back.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Happy Paddy's Day!

It was fun - lots of Guinness, green milkshakes in MacDs, shamrocks, 4th-July scale fireworks, and the parade of course. Good weather too, for once .

As a Scot, I'd like to point out that we already have a national day of celebration - it's called Hogmanay . We don't care what the rest of you call it!
    “Maintain the mystery, and don't try to think unthinkabilities...”
    Iain M Banks, 2003, on the Art of writing good SF.

As an Irish-Canadian of non-Christian persuasion I can't help but wonder why a Catholic holiday marking a Saint who drove the Druids (snakes) out of Ireland is so popoular.

But oh well.

Erin Go Bragh.
    I have a feeling the <a href="http://www.paganism.com/ag/druid2.html">relationship between the Druids and Christian monks were more cordial</a> than either side of the religious spectrum would like to admit.

agus <a href="http://www.alba.org.uk/">Alba gu bragh</a>

Besides, I'd be prepared to accept anyone with a laid-back attitude to life as an honourary Irishman! As Lenny Henry once said:

"The Irish are great aren't they? They're like white Jamaicans in Ireland! Nothing is a fuss - nothing is a hassle. You look up 'Urgent' in the Irish dictionary, it says 'What's the hurry? There's time for four more pints yet!"..."
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven