View Poll Results: What would you pay for Star Trek: Nemesis?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's worth the MSRP ($29.99)

10 29.41%
  • It's worth the Amazon/buy.com price (around $22)

8 23.53%
  • It's worth about the AoTC price (around $15)

8 23.53%
  • I'd buy it, but these prices are all too expensive.

6 17.65%
  • I won't buy it at any price.

2 5.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nemesis available 5/20 -- worth the price?

Nemesis available 5/20 -- worth the price?

Paramount has set the MSRP of Star Trek: Nemesis at $29.99. Amazon is around $22.50, and buy.com comes in a dollar or so lower than that. It's unclear what prices places like Wal-Mart may charge. However, it's worth remembering that Star Wars II, a movie I consider to be better than Nemesis (which isn't a huge complement) was available at Wal-Mart for around $13 when it first appeared.

Nemesis comes with "four exclusive commentaries", plus the usual (for a DVD): deleted scenes and a photo gallary.

What price do you think it's worth?

I never even went to see it in the theater... Sorry, but I really just found everything that I'd heard or seen about the film to be... boring.

But I do have a downloaded copy on the 'puter. (Copyright piracy!? ME!? Nooooooooooo! ) I've only watched the first 10 minutes or so, and it seems... eh. That's all, just... eh. Maybe I'll feel different after I see the whole thing.

And the copy I have is crappy, so if I do like it, I will probably buy the DVD.

Just my twin coppers...

H.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

FYI, Hugh, I was appalled by the first 20 minutes of the movie, then I found what followed much better. Not a stellar movie, but still nice. Then again I'm one of those strange beings who loves Enterprise...

As for the price, hey... seems to me Paramount knows the meaning of the word "to milk a cash cow"...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

according to The SciFi channel new letter their adding 45 minutes of deleted footage.
    "The scenes include one between Data and Jean-Luc Picard, in which they share a bottle of 2267 Chateau Picard champagne; an early scene of Shinzon; one between Worf and Picard in the observation lounge; one with Deanna Troi and Picard in a corridor; a second scene of "mental rape" of Troi in a turbolift; a sickbay scene with Picard and Dr. Beverly Crusher; and the original ending of the film, featuring the new first officer, Cmdr. Madden."
    The one I want to see is the one w/ Cmdr Madden,if it's like the book version.Very funny

The one I want to see is the one w/ Cmdr Madden,if it's like the book version.Very funny
    I don't. Frickin' seatbelts. What's the point of it being science Fiction when we just have today's tech?

Mark
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by pathstrider
    I don't. Frickin' seatbelts. What's the point of it being science Fiction when we just have today's tech?
    Okay, remember that just because there might be a more technological way of doing things, it's not necessarily better.

So, even though Trek has force fields and duranium plating to minimize damage, and inertial dampers to limit how much the crew gets thrown around...some good old-fashioned seat belts (or other type of simple restraints, like the folding chair arms from TMP and ST II) may keep a couple more crewmen in their chairs.

Now, as for me, I'll be getting it as soon as its available, $29.95 or not.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Personally, apart from a few glaring issues, Nemesis was fun. Looked better on the big screen. I will buy the DVD for all the extra scenes that were cut. And I know a lot of people that like Enterprise (last couple of eps have been better) but they do need a direction with the show. I still like Enterprise. DS9 and Voyager were not great in their first two seasons either...
    Evil is Good. Good is Evil.
    Beware of Dark Teddy, Dark Lord of the Fuzz.

Okay, remember that just because there might be a more technological way of doing things, it's not necessarily better.
    Granted, but it's just so.... un cool. To me.

And it just seems that since the start of the TNG, when the simplest solution (To us) wasn't the one that got used (I mean, a ship that can't even support it's own weight unpowered, yikes) its been geting more and more ... well, clunkier.

I just think that while it confirms more to real world thinking, it doesn't seem as internally consistent.

but I'd like to point out that's just me

And I think Nemesis had a few too many props that looked like tehy should have been in enteprise - like the Argo for example.

Having said that, the new tricorders are cool - so I'm not consitent. oh well...

I just get the same feeling when I hear seatbelts to that when I saw that joystick in insurection.... I cringed so far into my seat I nearly fell through it. And hey, I loved that film....

anyway.

later days!

Mark
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

Originally posted by C5
    FYI, Hugh, I was appalled by the first 20 minutes of the movie, then I found what followed much better. Not a stellar movie, but still nice. Then again I'm one of those strange beings who loves Enterprise...

As for the price, hey... seems to me Paramount knows the meaning of the word "to milk a cash cow"...
    I'm another one of those "strange beings..."
    I'd pay the $29.99, but not much more.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

I want my original two hours back. So, I say "won't buy it for any price."

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster
    Last edited by Liz Not Beth; 03-20-2003 at 09:47 AM.

I'll wait a few days. This one'll show up on the discount rack at Hastings in a few weeks. I'd pay 9 or 10 bucks, max; more than I would for Generations (oooh....what a turkey that was.)
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Since I am definitely in the minority. Enterprise and Voyager and now Nemisis Lover, I will definitely pay the 29.99 if I had to but I always look for a good deal

Not really a big fan. I'll probably get it anyway' at Walmart 'cuz I like FX -- the new Romulan ships rocked. It's rare you actually get a good 2 hour film when the first cut is over 3 hours, which also means the script wasn't really properly pared either.

-- Daniel
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."