Thread: NX rules anyone?

NX rules anyone?

Comments welcome, these are some things I devised last night and then all hell broke loose and I got sidetracked.

For games prior to 2180 a starship can't have shields if it is for Federation or like governments, ie. Vulcan, Human, Andorian, etc.. Instead they have a form of armor. Terrans refer to it as hull plating.

Plating Type Cost Protection Rating Base/Max Threshold Reliability
    Type I 1 12 1/1 B
    Type II 2 13 1/2 C
    Type III 4 13 1/3 D

Thanks, my NX-01 era game is beginning this weekend, and it's nice to see somebody else taking the same approach I did (although I only had the equivalent of your Type I plating.)

Any thoughts on how to handle the grappler? I'm just treating it as a one shot tractor beam.

I was thinking that grapplers are part of the shuttle bay , with other grapplers added to other part of the ship hull .

Grappler cannon array is armed with two grapples . The grapple has a thick cable feed out behind it . The range of a 1 to 3 km depending on the size of the ship .

The grappler strike the side of the target to release several hook that dig in . The main drawback to using a grappler , you are never sure how good hold you have until you start pulling on the target . ( Gaming detail grapple = damage 3d-1. secret roll by G.M. . on a zero damage roll the grapple fail to dig in . )

The raider group named "Blood Moon" are using a grappler system that send a pulse of energy after striking the target . The energy pulse fry out systems leaving the hull intact . The source of this report is the Earth Star Fleet Craft NX-20 Mars.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by toadmage
    I was thinking that grapplers are part of the shuttle bay , with other grapplers added to other part of the ship hull .

Grappler cannon array is armed with two grapples . The grapple has a thick cable feed out behind it . The range of a 1 to 3 km depending on the size of the ship .

The grappler strike the side of the target to release several hook that dig in . The main drawback to using a grappler , you are never sure how good hold you have until you start pulling on the target .
    A couple of points here:

1. I thought that, in one episode, the Enterprise attempted to grapple a shuttlepod trapped in the crevasse of a an asteroid or planetoid (first season) from orbit. I may be wrong on that, but I'm sure that the range was much more than 3,000 meters.

2. In the same episode, when the grip of the grapplers slipped, the units slid along the surface of the shuttlepod's hull. That effect leads me to believe that the grapplers maintain their grip by powerful electromagnets, not mechanical hooks. If it were the latter, I would have expected the outer hull of the shuttlepod to tear as the grappler shipped.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I think you are right on that point about the hooks . I can not remember the range of the shoot .

I wrote the grappler rules few weeks on my PDA and just copy the file over to the board.

The reason for the hook is to have chance of failing to clamp on . My reason for the 1 to 3 km limit was based on how the drum would be to rewind it back in . Each grapple has it own motor to pull it back in .