Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Relic site update! (ICON)

Oooh... yeah.... Those shields should definitely not be that strong. I used the shiled strength from the B'Rel Class BoP, and never really checked them against other ships. They should definitely be powered down, to the 36/48 range, as should the B'Rel. Gonna have to change that!

What time period is your klingon game set in Owen. TNG/DS9?

It's concurrent with my Relic campaign, in the last year of the DS9 series.

Hmm, interesting. With the dominion war ending( I think it ended in season 7 and not 6) It would make it quite dangerous to be
    wandering about. Could make things interesting indeed.

I will probably have to steal your basic idea, i like it alot

Owen,
    Have you ever done or comtemplated doing deck plans for the B'rel?
    I'm trying to do them now by hand ala paper and pencil but i simply suck.

I know one of the members did a set for a 50m version but was wondering what the 109/157m size would be like.

B'Rel Class deckplans are something that's on my list to get done some time in 2009 or so... I personally like the 110m version, so that's what I'd do if I ever had the time. Right now, even updates to the existing Relic site are on hold while I work on another project...

Ya big tease

I have a small problem with the 100m and the 157m version of the B'rel though. It has a crew of 12 yet it is HUGE! It seems a little too big. A lot of The FASA ship recognition manual ships as well as space dock SRm's seem to have this problem of huge dimensions and tiny crews. *shrugs*

Often the crew size is taken from episode information and the two may not always reconcile. I've never really had a major problem with some of the crew sizes, the B'rel is a bit tricky depending on how many shifts one believes there should be and how many should be on duty during that shift.

Regards,
    CKV.

Actually, the B'Rel, for all its length, has a relatively small habitable space, all things considered. Unlike most Trek ships, the warp drives are internal, most likely in the "shoulder" humps. The "neck" is apparently all corridor/structure/EPS conduits, et cetera. We know it has a fairly large cargo compartment - 18m x 9m x 3m (60 feet x 10 feet with a volume of 18000 cubic feet) and large landing gear wells. Add in the torp launcher and torpedo storage, engineering, impulse deck, as well as the structure for swinging those wings up and down, there's not one whole helluva lot of space left. Given the levels of automation in the 23<sup>rd</sup>/24<sup>th</sup> centuries, the crew requirement of a 110m B'Rel need not be very large, and it's explicitly given as approximately a dozen (at least according to 23<sup>rd</sup> century intelligence estimates, anyway).

There's another reason I use this figure, and it's purely an &aelig;sthetic one: The old FASA miniature is 42mm long, which makes it approximately 105m long in 1/2500 scale, my preferred scale for Star Trek ship miniatures - very close to the 110m size commonly quoted.

That pretty well covers it. Thanks for taking the time for expressing the reasoning as it sums up my own reasons for not having a problem with said crew size.

Where I have seen it to get tricky in various games is trying to break down the dozen crew into shifts and required duty stations. I've always felt that B'rel crews carried out either two or three shifts, many of the crew pulling double-duty on stations. I favor two shifts most often due to the onscreen evidence.

Regards,
    CKV.

True Owen.
    I'm basically going to use you campaign idea but on board a B'rel.
    And in my version the Archaeology Society will be started after the Kahless Clone is made Emperor in 2369. Hope you don't mind me "Borrowing" your ideas.

And as for shifts, I use 2 12 hour shifts.
    Primary Shift:
    Capatain
    Helm
    Navigator
    Weapons/Shields
    Engineer
    Doctor
    Science/Communications

Secondary Shift:
    First Officer
    Helm
    Navigation
    Weapons/Shields
    Engineer

Just my thoughts.
    Q'pla
    Last edited by IceGiant; 04-30-2003 at 09:29 AM.

Well, I've been converting a whole bunch of published FASA characters into ICON for my campaign (yes, I know, I should be working on the Memory: ICON site, but I needed to shift gears), and it got so I needed a more comprehensive set of notes than just the conversion charts on my site, so I wrote a step-by-step procedure. It can be found at http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/s...se/convert.htm I hope it's of use to someone other than myself.

The work's not going to waste, though, as I'm considering putting the whole bunch of ICONified FASA characters up on Memory: ICON.

Cool

Thanks for putting together the FASA section. I'm glad somebody has a web page for FASA Trek. I used to have a site dedicated to the game but it is long gone. It was fun but without anyone to play with, having the site didn't make much sense and i got burnt out with it.

Owen, your FASA background is cool! I always thought FASA stood for Fantasimulations. Where did you pick up that interesting factoid?

So just out of knawing tortured curiosity, what is the status of the 'campaign packet' for the Star Trek Relic campaign?

By the way, Owen, you have convinced me...I'm sticking with ICON.
    Last edited by Captain Sonek; 08-03-2003 at 08:48 PM.