Thread: Decks

Decks

on new ships or house brewed ones how do you determine the number of decks it has?

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Personally, I look at the purpose of the ship, its origin and era. Earlier ships (22nd/23rd C.) will have more cramped spaces...i.e., shorter decks, while most TNG-era ships will be more spacious. In either sense, for general humanoid settings, I would stick with the standard 3-5m/deck range.

I would then select a number of decks that puts me where I want myself in the ship's 3-5m/deck range (calculated, obviously, by the ship's height divided by both 3 and 5).
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

You planning on putting any jefferies tubes in the ship? 3m tall decks with a decent sized crawlspace is mighty tight.

If you sandwich the jefferies space in between two decks (so that there are jefferies tubes below Deck 1 and above Deck 2 for example) you can get by with something like 3.5m decks maybe, otherwise 4m or 4.5m decks are much better.

The jefferies space does not have to be entirely made up of crawlspace either: consumables, water and discrete machinery can be placed into these spaces that gives you more usable room in the other areas (The plans I have for an as yet unfinished station use what could be described as very tall jefferies tubes or short service decks in between Decks which allows Deuterium, water and other life support equipment, and different types of consumables so as to not take up too much of the living areas. I also use these interior spaces for the turbolift runs so that huge areas of the 'usable decks' are not cut off by turbolifts).

Of course, TOS style ships did not really have the same sort of Jefferies tubes, they were mostly in the engineering areas as I recall (of course, they still never show up on any of the deck plans), so I agree with Sea Tyger, match it to the type of ship and its era.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Originally posted by Publius
    Of course, TOS style ships did not really have the same sort of Jefferies tubes, they were mostly in the engineering areas as I recall (of course, they still never show up on any of the deck plans), so I agree with Sea Tyger, match it to the type of ship and its era.
    I'm 99% certain the original Jefferies tubes were supposed to extend up the warp nacelle support struts. The angles were about perfect, although all the deck plans suggest that means engineering is in the middle of the hangar deck...
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

I never like Jeffries Tubes I mean why not stick the stuff out where you can easily repair it?