Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Starships" Questions

Question "Starships" Questions

Hi there. Rumor has it that "Starships" has started shipping to at least distributors at this point. Once I get a copy I'm going to go through it and submit an errata list to Doug and Jesse post-haste as necessary. Yes, errors crop up.

In the meantime, this is the thread I'll be monitoring to answer questions. If your questions about the book or any of the rules don't appear here I might miss 'em.

Please be nice and civil (this goes for everyone, including me) and keep the discussion to the book and any questions. Reviews and opinions on the book (love or hate) should go in a different thread.

Thanks,
    Don
    "Starships" author

Will the Soveriegn have type-12 phasers? Or will it stick with the type-10 and pulse phaser system? I was wondering if the stats from the SOP were listed that way for reason.
    "Target all your firepower on the nearest Federation starship!" Yoda, Episode II

Yes, Type XII phasers are included. The writeups in "Starships" differ from those in the SOM--"Starships" are probably more "realistic."

Concerning the Saber and Miranda-will there be a workup of these ships using the new construction rules?It's been mentioned that they won't be in Starships.The saber could use a tweaking.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

Question Akira class

(Arghh, I can't wait I can't wait!!!)

Hi Don,

I would just like to ask some questions about the Akira class: are you using it as a potential fighter carrier in your writeups? (I intend to be fully compatible with Starships rather than the SOM). If so, can I ask how many fighters it can carry?

Thanks!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

You'll need to purchase the product for that answer.

I expect the bulk of the book is ship designs. And there's also a new construction system. Can you share (from a table of contents kind of perspective) what else is in there?

For example, is there a new ship combat system? Are there "ship sheets" (like character sheets)?

Just an FYI, I meant questions from people that have the book. I'll answer these other questions, even though they've already been covered by me, here on these forums, before.

There is no new construction system. There is no new combat system. "Starships" expands the basic system in the NG further, adding something like 250 new systems to build your ships, new traits, and new rules. Converting a ship from the "old" system to use the new material is, at worst, something like a 10 minute process. Many of the ships in the NG (all?) are included in "Starships" in their new format with expanded and detailed write-ups.

As for actual contents, I posted a table of contents in an earlier thread about 30-60 days ago. You should be able to find it with a search.

[Edit] That thread in question is here.

Hey, I fully intend to buy it, I'd even preorder it if it was possible

I understand, though. Would it just be possible to know if it is a carrier or not? A yes or no would suffice But if you can't answer, so be it, no problem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Don

Did i read it right...that there is going to be a conversion system to convert "old system" starships to the current system? like FASA to the persent system?

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)

Re: Don

Originally posted by Space_Cadet
    Did i read it right...that there is going to be a conversion system to convert "old system" starships to the current system? like FASA to the persent system?
    SC, he meant "old system": as in the construction rules as presented in the NG.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

When will this wonderful book be coming out? I kept hearing the end of march. That time has come and gone now. Now I'm hearing sometime in april. I would just like to know when "Starships" will be realeased to the masses. I do have a question related to starships that I would like to ask, however if it addressed in the new book I'll understand if you decline to answer as not to give away any surprises. If its not well here it is. I noticed that Polarized Hull plating gave the Daedalus-class a protection/threshold 2/1 rating. My question is do you add this to the base protection of 5 oris it just 2? If you do add it to 5 then is this also done with other ships with their shield protection rating? I thinking I missed something in the rules about how shield protection values are handeled. I thought that the protection rating waas the number you needed to "hit" the ship and once the shields were down the protection or TN to hit the ship became 5. But if the protection given from a polarized hull is 2 then it would actually be worse on you that if you did nothing. So what am I doing wrong?
    "Target all your firepower on the nearest Federation starship!" Yoda, Episode II

Just got my copy of starships yesterday. Its awesome guys!!! Can't stress that enough. Although there are few questions I have concerning the Borg was there a type-o on its structure? Later when they talk about increasing the Structure for the Class-4 tactical vessel, the amount they give is much less than the standard amount for the cube. So which way should I go with that make the standard cube what it should be for a ship its size and then things would make sense. Also in the SOM the Daedelus class has Polarized hull plating with a protection/threshold 2/1. Am I correct in assuming that that should read 12/1?

Since people have the book I'll put out my galley copy tonight and take a look. Unfortunately I don't have my author's copy yet; probably because Decipher doesn't know who wrote the book.

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    ... probably because Decipher doesn't know who wrote the book.
    Oh...that bodes well. Glad I'm working for Heresy Games.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill