Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's YOUR ST theme music?

Bloomington, IN - the heart of Limestone Country!

what's YOUR ST theme music?

For those of you who make or have made use of music in your ST gaming sessions - what did you use as theme music? I've tried to find a version of either the TOS or TNG themes that was different enough to be "our ST theme" for our group, but one that was at the same time not too weird (like the loung music version of the TOS theme...although I guess that would be useful for certain kind sof ST games...

Anyway, I'm thinking of using the "Jupiter" section from Holst's "The Planets", but I'm not decided yet. Someone on another thread had mentioned Copland's "Fanfare for the Commonb Man"...
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

I use the theme from Birth of the Federation.

http://www.stevenscherer.com/botf.ram

An odd piece, but certainly Star Trek.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

I used the track 'Enterprise First Flight' from the ENTERPRISE television soundtrack. A nice, uplifting, "spirit-of-adventure" thing.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Cool Music

The Theme for the ST: Apogee series is Samuel Barber's 'Adagio
    for Strings'. I tend to use it to give a sense of wonder and that "great things will be done".

The Ds-50 AKA Mir Station uses the Theme from Red October. I tned to use this to convey a sense of isloation and that the station really isn't run on Federation terms (polygot of federation and other government regulations).

The Aggripa (NCC-72467, Defiant class) uses several tracks, including 'All Along the Watchtower' or 'Purple haze' By Jimi Hendrix (to convey the 'working class' feel of the ship. We're border patrol, not some luxury exploration cruiser), and a bevy of other sixties music...depending on the mood of the players (we tend to favor irony in the group).

A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I'm a big fan of Yoko Kanno's orchestral stuff, so "Dogfight" from one of the Macross Plus soundtracks. Also much of the Brainpowrd soundtrack is very cool.

Rush - "Hold Your Fire"

Tchaikovsky - "Slavonic March"

There is of course more which I can't think of without my collection in front of me.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Ah, that's easy. The theme song of my series is U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

Because I like it... and because it's true of most of the crew.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Music is the stuff of life

We use several tracks from the Wing Commander soundtrack for ambiance. But I use two tracks from the computer game, "Star Fleet Academy; Gold Edition" I think that is the name anyway. Ya really gotta dig to find the music, but it is there. Federation themed, Klingon themed, Romulan themed. Even the Gorn are represented.
    Like anyone is actually reading this.

I've had a number of Trek series start and stop. I've tried to have theme music for all of them.

The longest-running series used the Star Trek II opening theme. It worked really well.

The last game I ran used the first track on the "Air Force One" soundtrack.

First track on "Clear and Present Danger" was pretty good too.

Constitution uses the title theme from First Contact.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I've always used Wagner's composition which was used in Apocalypse Now; something Valkyrie. Very good music.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Ride of the Valkyrie from the Ring cycle.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I haven't used it, yet, but I belive that some pieces from Starship Generator are really excellent, especially if you are looking for something like title music for your own series. And the good pieces also have the right length ( about 1 minute ).

And just in case:

Yes i know that the "game" (if you really want to call it that) is crap.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Originally posted by Sho-sa Kurita
    I'm a big fan of Yoko Kanno's orchestral stuff, so "Dogfight" from one of the Macross Plus soundtracks.
    A great choice!

Me I am always thinking about using more music in my games, but usually decide against it since I always discover that my taste in music is more often than not very different from my player's.
    If I put on something that I find a bit melancolic and moody the guys want to jump out the next window as they find it waaay to depressing and what I find uplifting they consider cheesy.

But if I ever decide to do it I'll most likely follow qerlin's example and use the FC theme.

My campaign, Star Trek: Dauntless , uses the alternate theme that appears on a CD of music from the First Season of The Next Generation that was available quite a few years back. Apparently it was the one that was being considered before Paramount adopted the music originally written for Star Trek:The Motion Picture. Real "Lets see what's out there" stuff.