5 20.00%

6 24.00%

3 12.00%

2 8.00%

2 8.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate The Episode Returns! "The Crossing"

Rate The Episode Returns! "The Crossing"

Okay, Rate The Episode is back in action as of tonight now that the March reruns have ended. So let's get rolling, gang!

I gave "The Crossing" a 6. Mostly I found this one pretty boring... just a standard non-corporeal beings plot for the most part. I did, however, enjoy seeing Dr. Phlox, one of the most underused characters, get a good role to play in the conclusion of this episode.

Moving the whole crew into the catwalk was a repeat of what they did in the episode "The Catwalk" earlier this season... and that was one of my favorite episodes. I can see Archer's repeatedly moving the crew into the catwalk in emergencies and rerouting control there as justification at Starfleet Command for incorporation of the Battle Bridge and saucer separation.

Next week's episode looks good though... MORE KLINGONS! YES!

So it got a 6 from me. How about you, gang?
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Haven't seen it yet, if I can remember to watch it on Sun. I'll give my rating. What I've seen in the ads doesn't impress me, looks like any other body snatcher scenario.

More Klingons in the next ep, eh. We've been beat over the heads with all stuff klingons so many times we'll all have the bumps to look like them.

3. Simply boring and... awkward. (I would have given a 2, but there's still some eps left.. and I'm not very hopeful.)

There were a few things that bugged me.

1) Apparently Archer can rely on hunches and divine insight in deciding when an alien is hostile and when it is not. For an explorer he seemed rather defensive and conservative in his approach to alien beings. He was of course proven right later on... good thing he had script-writers on his side.

2) Something about locking up people who act differently just rubs me the wrong way. Especially when this difference in behaviour has yet to prove itself harmful to anybody.

3) Travis acting like an idiot, when he doesn't realize Trip has been possessed again. He doesn't respond when talked to, makes a run when you get closer... tries to escape from the catwalk. What other signs do you need? Trip to turn his neck 180 and start puking on you?

At least we got to see some more faces of the crew. And that's about it.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

Red face

Originally posted by Joe Dizzy
    3. Simply boring and... awkward. (I would have given a 2, but there's still some eps left.. and I'm not very hopeful.)

There were a few things that bugged me.

1) Apparently Archer can rely on hunches and divine insight in deciding when an alien is hostile and when it is not. For an explorer he seemed rather defensive and conservative in his approach to alien beings. He was of course proven right later on... good thing he had script-writers on his side.

Commentary: There is still perfectly normal human paranoia, which El Capitian seems to have finally developed.

2) Something about locking up people who act differently just rubs me the wrong way. Especially when this difference in behaviour has yet to prove itself harmful to anybody.

Commentary: Ah....a lack of survival instinct so profoundly stated. I had forgotten what it was like.

3) Travis acting like an idiot, when he doesn't realize Trip has been possessed again. He doesn't respond when talked to, makes a run when you get closer... tries to escape from the catwalk. What other signs do you need? Trip to turn his neck 180 and start puking on you?

Commentary: Agreed. But then Starfleet officers tend to have the 'Babe-in-the-woods-no-brain effect'. What I would give for a officer with a brain.

At least we got to see some more faces of the crew. And that's about it.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Originally posted by Phantom
    Haven't seen it yet, if I can remember to watch it on Sun. I'll give my rating. What I've seen in the ads doesn't impress me, looks like any other body snatcher scenario.

More Klingons in the next ep, eh. We've been beat over the heads with all stuff klingons so many times we'll all have the bumps to look like them.
    You can probably skip this one, Phantom. If it didn't impress people like me who really like ENT, it certainly won't do much for you, no offense intended.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Originally posted by BouncyCaitian

Commentary: Ah....a lack of survival instinct so profoundly stated. I had forgotten what it was like.
    So it's paranoia above and survival instinct now? And when has paranoia ever been a good thing?

But of course, you're Right.
    Let's lock up everything we don't understand, shoot at everything that dares to be different and teach whoever we have't killed some good ole' Kristian values.

For a moment I thought I was watching Trek there.. good thing that's been dealt with.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

ignoring the bait above

The episode actually was not that bad in my opinion, it had a lot of TOS in it and the stock character of the plot was decently executed. Lets admit it here non corporal life taking over corporal is a well used tool in the trek writters tool kit it should always be judged on execution not originality.

With that said I did not like the near cold dead stop of the episode, B&B have no sense of closure which trek has always had in tyese single shot episodes, nope, hey problem solved so lets warp out of here.

8. I enjoyed it. Only major beef I have is the ending... it's not very trek-y to destroy an entire species in despiration.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

i gave it a 7. It held my attention. Thought it was weak in spots, but i judge it by my attention span when watching it as i put my book down. Yes, Dr Phlox was nice to see given a role.
    Last edited by Garet; 04-04-2003 at 11:40 AM.
    Garet

Pretty standard Trek fare: energy beings taking people over's been done at least once a series.

I also thought Archer pretty close minded right off the bat, but then again -- just about every alien they run into has ultimately been hostile...

Locking people in their rooms while 'possessed': makes sense to me. Don't want them wandering about doing who knows what...especially as they aren't asking permission to do these crossings. The first one or two, you take their workd for things; when it starts happening ship-wide...

This Starfleet is still military-oriented. The CO of a ship is going to react to avoid trouble before it happens, when he can.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Nice big honkin ship but

What do ....Energy Creatures......Need....with a .....Starship?

Karg...it's a place to keep all their stuff!
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Apparantly these creatures can't survive in space, so they have this ship to keep them alive :P

Err had, before Archer gave 'em the old torpedo.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

I liked the episode, but agree Archer was kind of close minded. On the other hand, how are you supposed to react to energy creatures taking control of you're friends, and crewmates without their consent? We've seen this before in Trek, but this crew hasn't. It may be completely beyond the experience of humanity at this point. (Playing Devil's advocate here. I think Trek should try for a solution short of genocide. Maybe give them directions to that spooky automated body snatching ship repair facility.)
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

Saw the Sunday encore.Gave it a 6.The first half did have a strong TOS feel but it kind of stalled.Phlox shined ,one of the best alien crewmembers in a Trek series.Next week's ep looks pretty damn cool.Despite this weeks shortcomings,I was entertained for an hour.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf