Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with an Adventure (Vulcans & The Borg)

Need some help with an Adventure (Vulcans & The Borg)

The reason is that my friend Jeff was to have run this and I have decided to pick it up. Unfortunatly, I havn't been able to find any of His notes on it.

This is all he had told me (I was to be a player in it)

It dealt with Vulcans and the Borg and why it was logical to be assimilated.

I've come up with a Brief outline:

Lost contact with a distant Vulcan research station

Vulcans on board are ok, however exibiting a strange pause durring conversations(They are confering with the other Vulcans on board). Also notice they don't talk to each other much.

Discover an Implant in the Vulcans Heads (Linking and coordinating themselves by Sub-space carrier)

Examination reveals the implants contain some Borg Tech

Find strange readings in base.

Reading turn out to be a Borg Venticulum (or what ever it's called
    )

At same time, Ship detects a Borg Cube on approach and will arrive in X time intervals.

Sorta a Prime directive (kinda) episode

Now for the argument........

Pro's and cons for Assimilation (From a Vulcan's Eye View)

Pro's:
    Near instant Concensus
    Pure Logic
    Access to a vast storehouse of info and tech
    no internal conflict
    the Borg are consistantly looking for new Information & Technology
    Complete control of emotions

Con's:
    Loss of Individuality
    Implantation of Cybernetic Devices
    The Borg are essentialy Conquerors

This is what i have so far. Any Feedback/Help (or Jokes ) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds very interesting. I can certainly see some Vulcans "logically" coming to the conclusion that Borg assimilation is the logical course of action, since some Vulcans might conclude that the overwhelming might of the Borg is too much for the Federation to withstand and it is inevitable anyway.

Anyway, there's my two cents... although I doubt the above thoughts are even worth that much.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

IBG -- but if they've already decided it's logical to join the collective, then they would probably wouldn't care about revealing such secrets since, logically, others should join the collective as well. Depending on why they've decided to join, of course.

Karg -- on the philisophical "con" side. Assimilation is in direct conflict with IDIC. More viewpoints lead to a deeper understanding. Logic is but the beginning of wisdom after all. And having no free will sucks.

-- Daniel
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

For plot comlications, if the Vulcan Isolationists got wind of this, I imagine they'd try to do something about it too.

You could also use the same reason that was used in DS9, when the genetic engineered people led by Bashir concluded that the Federation would lose the Dominion war and that it was better to surrender now and even tried to betray to end the war more quickly.
    These Vulcans could have logically concluded, after lots of studies of Borg tactics and technology, that the Borg would end up assimilating the Federation after some time (they probably have never seen Voyager ) and thus decided to join freely the Collective since they would be assimilated anyway. They could even have knowingly bring high knowledge of the Federation's tactics into the Collective, to help the Borg assimilate the Federation with a minimal loss of lives.

And the Collective is some form of IDIC (if very twisted), after all.... "your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own", don't they say ?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Check this out

On the subject of voluntarily submitting to the Borg, I think you'll find this cartoon both illuminating and hilarious:
    27th Century Borg find it less hassle to get people to sign up willingly!

Re: Check this out

Originally posted by Diamond
    On the subject of voluntarily submitting to the Borg, I think you'll find this cartoon both illuminating and hilarious:
    27th Century Borg find it less hassle to get people to sign up willingly!

Odd that one of The Borg from the 29th Century seems to be of Vulcanoid descent in that cartoon! Specially considering the plot this is in reference too!

Good Skills Fella!
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

I had a very simlilar idea, once. Or actually it were two ideas. The first one was about a Vulcan Chief Engineer who belived sending the players Oberth class vessel to Wolf 359 to be pretty illogical, he died in preventing that. And the second idea was about some Bynars that had been disconnected from their computer network, therefore trying to find a new collective to join. If I were a member of Starfleet I would keep an eye on the Bynars.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

All Very good ideas guys, gonna incompass them into the adventure. probably leave out the VIM to keep conflict simpler

Originally posted by Karg
    All Very good ideas guys, gonna incompass them into the adventure. probably leave out the VIM to keep conflict simpler
    Despite making the suggestion, I think that's a good decision. If it were a multi-episode arc, that would be another story, but in a single adventure, best not to put too much in.

Originally posted by Sho-sa Kurita
    Despite making the suggestion, I think that's a good decision. If it were a multi-episode arc, that would be another story, but in a single adventure, best not to put too much in.
    I didn't meen to offend, I just didn't want to include it because i'm not intending for it to be a multi episode arc. if i were I'd include them, It was a good idea!

If anyone else has a suggestion i'm still listening

No offense at all. I'm totally with you on this. I just sorta like the VIM as a background thing in the ST universe. I'm really curious to see how you and your Crew play this out. It could be very cool.

Wouldn't the VIM side againts the pro-assimilation vulcans, giving the PC's an odd, round about, type of back-up?
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Originally posted by Phoenix
    Wouldn't the VIM side againts the pro-assimilation vulcans, giving the PC's an odd, round about, type of back-up?
    That would be my thinking, yes. Strange bedfellows, eh?