2 8.33%

4 16.67%

7 29.17%

7 29.17%

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate The Episode! "Judgment"

Rate The Episode! "Judgment"

I thought it was great! Gave it a 9. I was expecting a hour-episode version of The Undiscovered Country, but it was a great episode. Archer's talk with Kovos about Klingon society and the "classes" provides a lot of insight into their culture, and it had a few good lines in it too. I like when they're in Rura Penthe near the end:

"This is how you got in here in the first place... by being so foolish."

"You're... you're welcome."

The character of Advocate Kovos was very well-portrayed, and I love the attention to detail they paid to make the court look exactly like it did in ST VI.

Only bad part about it was the ending was kind of poorly thought-out... they didn't have enough time left in the episode to actually show Archer's escape from Rura Penthe.
    Last edited by erhershman; 04-10-2003 at 01:21 PM.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

So...was it any good?
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I gave it a four.

Some nice bits and nice dialogue, Kovos (not Kolos?) was quite interesting, despite the rather unoriginal characterization.

Very oddly paced (what a horrible wrap-up to the episode!) and quite bland and boring in the first half.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

i gave it a 6, i liked it but was reminded to much of undiscovered country. The fact archer had to excape was disappointing, but getting off with out any punishment would have been bad also. Just had the feeling it didn't balance out. Did like the defense lawyer Interesting to hear that the empire had changed in the last 25 years. I wonder if every time he hit that ball on the plate and gave off sparks did it shock the people in the gallerys as they shut up fast.
    Garet

They're actually reusing alien names! I guess House Duras has been called that for a while.

I liked it very much - I've been disappointed with a big chunk of Season 2 but the last few episodes have been, for the most part, an improvement.

This one I gave a 9 - I really liked the discussion of Klingon society.

What I found interesting was the discussion of how Klingons value, at this time, victory, over everything else.

As a self-appointed student of history and politics, I love the perspective this gives. For example, in America, both Republicans and Democrats will describe Jefferson and you'd think they were talking about two totally different people. I can see how this could apply to the Klingons at different times and Kahless - for example, the Kahless of TOS being so different from the Kahless of TNG.

Similarly it explains why the Klingons do not just attack Earth - at least in my opinion. Attacking Earth would be hard. It would not be an easy victory. And the Vulcans might come to their defense.

I also hope they followup on the idea that Archer is now a Klingon fugitive.

The courtroom scenes were well done. The discussion Archer had with his attorney were nice, as was the background on Klingons.

I thought it missed out by a fairly clumsy rescue. This might have made for a good two-parter, with part two taking place on Rura Penthe - it would have been a good way to learn more about 22nd century Klingons and Humans.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Does anyone want Pocket to produce a Big Book of Klingon Foreheads? It should be interesting to compare Durasian forefeads to each other. A good art book!

I gave it an "8". It was a decent episode as court episodes go, I thought. What I liked was the nice nod to the courtroom from Star Trek 6, and the bits that showed how the Empire was decaying into what it would become by the time of TOS. At the same time, we are free to fantasize that Archer, by reminding one man what he *should* be, might have sown the seeds of a cultural rebellion that eventually restored the Empire, even if it took a hundred and fifty years to do it.

It lost points for the *very* weak ending -- is there no security on Rura Penthe? How do Reed and Archer just "walk" out onto the surface of the moon? Does anyone thing that a prisoner in a penitentiary could just walk back out the front gate and hop into a waiting car?

9... good fun, very well done and it integrates historical trek perfectly with new scenery technology

(-1 for them not having translator earpieces that Kirk and McCoy had! )
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Originally posted by Fesarius

It lost points for the *very* weak ending -- is there no security on Rura Penthe? How do Reed and Archer just "walk" out onto the surface of the moon? Does anyone thing that a prisoner in a penitentiary could just walk back out the front gate and hop into a waiting car?
    T'pol had sex with... errr I mean bribed a Klingon buerecrat to get the shiled down
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Originally posted by Fesarius
    The only explanation I can think of is that on Rura Penthe the surface is considered a death sentence. Anyone wishing to commit suicide is free to go to the surface. I agree the ending was weak. I still enjoyed the episode. I give it a 7.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

7, well done, well done though a little explaining on how Archer got arrested in the first place would be nice as would the escape in a little more detail I agree that a Two parter would have been a better format. Hetzler was magnificant, if Klingons were real he would have won so many image awards by now it would be embarressing, he does them . . . Well . . . With honor.

BTW surprised nobody has mention the small FASA tip of the hat and/or tribute in the plot device of the refugees fleeing the empire and the resulting confrontation in space.

The Advocate was the Martok actor? I should have recognized him.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Cochrane
    The Advocate was the Martok actor? I should have recognized him.
    I thought I recognized the face.

I gave it an 8. Excellent character work and dialogue...the courtroom scenes were very nice. And it was a good view of the degeneration of Klingon culture (and you can see how it turned into a Soviet-like oligarchy in the 23rd C.)

And I have to say that I have no problems with the way it ended. It seemed fitting to the episode to end it from the advocate's perspective.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Thumbs up

It was really great ! My only complaints are, they should have made it a two-parter, and the end was very rushed.

Anyway, tomorrow´s episode will be a follow-up - with participation of two Tellarite bounty hunters chasing Archer.

Now all we need is more episodes showcasing Mayweather and Hoshi
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>