• Admiral Cartman

0 0%
  • Colonel West

0 0%
  • other (specify)

3 7.69%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite minor TOS movie character

Had to go with Saavik, too. I like this character so much I even made her into a regular NPC in all my series.

Though Robin Curtis did a fine job in TSFS and TVH I agree that Kirstie Alley had a more vulcan-like mistique. There was something about her eyes that had both an exotic look and a barely suppressed spring of emotions betraying her half-Romulan parentage - which didnīt made it to the screen.

Close second was Decker, then the Marcuses, then Janice Rand.
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>

Originally posted by Captain Novaes
    Had to go with Saavik, too. I like this character so much I even made her into a regular NPC in all my series.
    Yeah, she's the CinC, Starfleet in our post-DS9 campaign.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I saw Kirstie Alley on the Regis show a few years ago, and Regis brought out a photo of Saavik to embarass her.

I don't mean to bash anybody's opinions by saying this, but can someone please explain what is so great about Saavik to me? i'm looking for reasons related to the character, not the actress(es).
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Let me go first and say the reasons for my choice were based strongly in the character as portrayed by the actress.

If I were to mention what is so great about Saavikīs character, I should say itīs because of her over-eagerness to show herself capable, her countinuing predilection for quoting rules to Kirk and an overall drive to prove herself as a good officer. You could say this is not so great, but again itīs the actress (Kirstie Alley in this case) who put so much into the character. Hence my choice.
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>

Originally posted by Captain Novaes
    Though Robin Curtis did a fine job in TSFS and TVH I agree that Kirstie Alley had a more vulcan-like mistique. There was something about her eyes that had both an exotic look and a barely suppressed spring of emotions betraying her half-Romulan parentage - which didnīt made it to the screen.
    Hmmm. For me it's just the opposite. Kirstie Alley definitely had more of an exotic look, but I think Robin Curtis did a better job of portraying the "Vulcan mystique" of Saavik than Kirstie Alley.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Erik Filean

Yes, Valeris was originally to have been Saavik. And if the "glaringly obvious giveaway" scene in the transporter room had been altered or omitted, I think the movie would have worked better that way. Much more surprise for the fans, and a controversy potentially rivalling Spock's death.
    The reasonings behind not using Saavik (as I've read it in things like Star Trek the Magazine), was that it would have been too great a betrayal to the character's personality. I, personally, just can't see Saavik sabotaging Spock's efforts like that (forget her loyalty and sense of duty).

I picked Saavik, of course.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Anarchy Bob
    Admiral Cartman? From the Uss South Park i guess?

hehe....that should probably be Admiral Cartwright.

Although, of the flag officers in the TOS movies, I preferred Admiral Morrow over Cartwright and Smillie.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Who was that Marine Biologist from ST: IV? I'll pick her.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Originally posted by JALU3
    Who was that Marine Biologist from ST: IV? I'll pick her.
    You mean the perky one? That's Gillian.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

And of course, Dr. Gillian Taylor and Captain Willard Decker later ended up playing husband and wife on 7th Heaven. Oh the madness!
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    You mean the perky one? That's Gillian.
    Yeah, she looked pretty good in the water at the end
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

I chose "Other"... my favorite is Mr. Kyle, played in both TOS and STII:TWOK by John Winston.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

I forgot several other favorites... Paul Winfield as Captain Terrell, Judson Scott as Joaquin (uncredited), the late Ray Walston as an Andorian Starfleet officer (an uncredited cameo, and a nod to his popular "My Favorite Martian" character).
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Originally posted by RaconteurX
    Judson Scott as Joaquin (uncredited)
    Who was Joaquin and what movie was it?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."