Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starships is AWESOME!

Starships is AWESOME!

My effusive compliments to Don, and everyone else who was involved with the creation of this amazing book

Allen

Thanks, Allen. Glad you like it.

Smile

Well, there's one happy customer
    Insert something clever

Well, there's one happy customer
    make that two

Three. I've been playing with ship construction a little bit before commenting, but I'm really happy with this book. It succeeds in creating lots of new options without making the rules much more complex than they were before. That's a departure from a lot of "expanded rules for..." sourcebooks, and a welcome one.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

Just got my copy today. Looks great. I love that dark blue cover. I've liked what I've read so far.

Nice work, all.

I bought it... I love it... minus one little thing: I'm still not happy with ablative armor. I'll be posting in the proper board about that later.

I'm very happy with the combo of construction rules and the additional ship records. Quick question: Do the ships include the extra 5 structure from Ablative armor in their structure number or not?

Originally posted by Alex Pryde
    I bought it... I love it... minus one little thing: I'm still not happy with ablative armor. I'll be posting in the proper board about that later.

I'm very happy with the combo of construction rules and the additional ship records. Quick question: Do the ships include the extra 5 structure from Ablative armor in their structure number or not?
    Yes, they do. For example: in the Sovereign entry in Starships, that line reads "Structure: 45 (5 ablative)." This means the ship has 40 base structure--the default for a Size 8 ship, as it happens--plus the five "system hit free" points of ablative armor.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

Only have one teeny tiny minor gripe...I think all the construction rules from the NG should have been carried over. I mean like the rule/cost of transporters and shuttlebays/craft. This way a ship designer just needs one book to look through. Otherwise I've been enjoying this book very much. I also like the fact that you have more stuff to choose from, this way you can (i.e.) change out the warp drive if it takes up too much space and get one that takes up less space but with the same speed.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Hey Everybody,

I've been pouring over STARSHIPS since the GAMA trade show and I am super-psyched to use it in my game. I've got a sort of VOYAGER/ELITE FORCE premise operating right now (mixing series) and I was just beginning to regret it. STARSHIPS has changed my mind, because now I have a reasonable excuse to make use of Kazon, Klingon and Jem'Hadar ships.

Terrific work, Don, really.

word,
    Will

Got it last night. Looks goods. Actually sat down this morn to see if I could slap together some ships. Did up a Constellation, a few Orion designs -- no prob. The only thing I wish they'd done was keep some of the bits from the NG in the Starships book, instead of referencing back to them (a pain, but there was probably a word count limit, I'm guessing).

They only thing I really didn't like was the art on the starship pages; I actually prefered the schematics versions from the other books. They could have compressed the writeups down to two pages per ship and packed a bit more in without the big, not well done drawings. (The Talon looked particularly off...)

So, other than the artwork, with I really disliked, the book itself is pretty durned good. The ship write-ups look solid (the TNG stuff also seems to match the SOM write-ups; only the TMP stuff in SOM looked really screwy & only on the photon damage.)

Out of a 1 to 10, I give it an 9 on content, 6 on art; 8 overall.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Gotta disagree with you there, qerlin. I actually rather like the art, and am idly wondering what Dave would charge to do a set of drawings for me once I get the King's Protector class rewritten to Starships specs....

The book itself is way cool, and I am well-pleased with it.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Originally posted by qerlin
    Got it last night. Looks goods. Actually sat down this morn to see if I could slap together some ships. Did up a Constellation, a few Orion designs -- no prob. The only thing I wish they'd done was keep some of the bits from the NG in the Starships book, instead of referencing back to them (a pain, but there was probably a word count limit, I'm guessing).
    You are correct, sir.

I thought everyone had the rules memorized like myself.

Originally posted by qerlin
    Out of a 1 to 10, I give it an 9 on content, 6 on art; 8 overall.
    I'll take a 9 from qerlin!

Originally posted by Lt. Dade
    STARSHIPS has changed my mind, because now I have a reasonable excuse to make use of Kazon, Klingon and Jem'Hadar ships.
    Hey LD,

Do me a favor and let me know how the torpedo shuttles work out.
    Insert something clever