Thread: Starships Question/Ruling..."Mixed Period" Weapons Loadouts

Starships Question/Ruling..."Mixed Period" Weapons Loadouts

After doing a couple of pretty straightforward Starships-based designs, I set my sights on the Ranger-class explorer. Since the ship's commissioning date (2215) predates effective phaser banks, I opted to equip it with three PC-54/2 phase cannons and two Mk 10 IF torpedo launchers.

Here comes the question: the phase cannons use the 21st/22nd century reliability chart, the torpedoes the 23rd/24th century one. Which should be used in a case like this? I chose to go with the 21st/22nd century chart--why should the older, more primitive system benefit from combination with more modern technology?--so my Ranger has an AA weapons reliability rather than a C.

I have no problem with this, but I hoped Don, Doug or Jesse could offer a more official insight on such decisions.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

Re: Starships Question/Ruling..."Mixed Period" Weapons Loadouts

Originally posted by Erik Filean
    Here comes the question: the phase cannons use the 21st/22nd century reliability chart, the torpedoes the 23rd/24th century one. Which should be used in a case like this?
    Unless my galley copy has changed significantly, this is covered on page 22 under "Offensive Capabilities."

Re: Re: Starships Question/Ruling..."Mixed Period" Weapons Loadouts

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Unless my galley copy has changed significantly, this is covered on page 22 under "Offensive Capabilities."
    Ah, and so it is. Sorry about that; I'd missed that bit of text.

Well, then, as soon as I settle the question of 136 meters (per SRM: TOS) or 227 meters (per the Starfleet Ops Manual) as the correct length of the ship, I'll have it ready to post here.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra