Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Neck of the Woods

600 million deaths is hardly 95% of China alone, and it's the entire estimated death toll given in ST:FC

Sulu . . . Kim . . . Ethnic American?

I don't think so. I'm sure you'll find Kim through out Korea . . . and Sulu . . . Chinese origin if I am not mistaken. Not a common name such a Lee or Chen, but definatly no 'ethnic american'. And what is Ethnic American? I understand one claiming American as their nationality. But for the most part ethnicity is a completely different matter here in the States. Take myself. Ethnically, I am Filipino (100%). However, I am an American by birth and culture. Yet I call myself a Filipino-American. Just as proud to raise both flags whenever available to me.

But back to United Earth Republic Capitol these are the three cities I would suggest: Honolulu, Hawaii. Bermuda, Bermuda. Or (going by the theory that the 3rd World would be devistated, and that the 1st & 2nd World Countries would make the quickest recovery) I would have to go with Aukland, New Zealand (where I would imagine the most minimal impact to a 1st World Nation woudl be) (Not to mention being all by its lonesome).

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Snake meant Americans from an etnic group other than European. I thought Sulu was Japanese, but I'm no authority on the subject. Do you think Anglo Americans would have moved into the decimated areas? Should there be so many characters who seem to belong exclusively to one ethnic group, or should more characters be more mixed?

With the apparent vacuum left after the war, and a theoretically more egalitarian United Earth Republic, I think there would be some slight cultural leverage, but most people would still probably feel attached to various degrees to their culture (with the ethnic colonists being the non-violent extreme), and I feel more of them would have a chance to crawl back out of the universities to the streets in their respective areas. I don't see an United Earth posturing as more evolved, with a technology like the translators, and having everyone melt into a single universal culture (this is my biggest problem with Esperanto, it took 17 dominant languages of the late 19th century to craft a united language. What about the cultures that are not represented in those 17 languages, there is an immense wealth that could be irremediably lost if the world switched to esperanto, and it would be worse if the world switched to another existing language since instead of 17, it would only be 1). Doesn't Hoshi say that she learned somewhere around 40 of Earth's languages, if they are alive, the cultures they support should technically be as well, to varying degrees.

Originally posted by Snake_Plissken
    I have 2 hypotheses to explain that relating to Earth in the 24th century. First of all there is the current trend of 'westernization' made possible by means improved means of communications (like the internet, which is already happening- just look at this board) and travel (maybe some very cheap Concorde plane was developped on mass scale, making supersonic flight for the masses affordable). Then you have WW3: I would speculate that the states that were hit the hardest are the very populous 1/3 world countries or regions like China, India or the Middle East which lost maybe 95%+ of their population, while North America, Europe and some parts of Asia escaped relatively untouched (but with ruined economies and crippled ecosystems).
    Interesting thesis...sounds very plausible, to me. Would also suggest that WW3 was a more Eurasian action.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

600 million deaths is hardly 95% of China alone, and it's the entire estimated death toll given in ST:FC
    good catch, my bad.

Sulu . . . Kim . . . Ethnic American?
    I don't think so. I'm sure you'll find Kim through out Korea . . . and Sulu . . . Chinese origin if I am not mistaken
    I meant (insert origin here)-american; what is often referred to "hyphened american", such as irish-american, african-american, italian-american, etc.

Sulu's origin is Japanese. But he is from San Francisco and his distant relatives are from SF too; I think that was even mentionned in ST4. I know that they wanted to film a scene in ST4 were Sulu would have met is great-grand-grand-something father.

Originally posted by Cochrane
    Not so! The planetary capital is either San Francisco or Paris.
    That is the FEDERATION Capital (Paris), Does not Neccesarily mean the PLANETARY Capitol

I Suggested NYC as the Earth Capitol simply because the UN is located there and Earth is supposed to be United Earth!

For Sulu: It was to be mentionned, but I think they never managed to film the scene in question, because the actor who was supposed to play his ancestor had a last minute problem and they never scheduled another shooting for this particular scene.