Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure Seeds

They like us! They really really like us!

Couldn't resist. Some of the best ideas I've played came from this thread. Just dont tell my players. They think it's all me. (Ha. Right).

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

EPISODE TITLE: The Light of Prometheus
    ERA: Any
    TYPE: Exploration

Not the starship you shmuck...this is a adventure based on the legend of Prometheus.

The PCs encounter a Godlike being who gives them a technology which would advance the tech base of the Federation expotentially. Unlike Q and other Godlike beings this one is a sincere good guy who actually wants the Federation to advance.

However, fellows of his race aren't so keen and they come down on him in full force intent on punishing him for disclosing the secrets to "undeserving" inferior beings. The also wish to punish the PCs by releasing a virus into their ship which begins to shut down the whole ship bit by bit. The PCs have to convince the other "gods" that they are peaceful and worthy of the advancement that is offered.

Unlike Q thes "gods" are ultimately not capricious so they will listen and will give the PCs a fair hearing but they are also determined to make sure that the don't make the same mistake they did several mellenia before when they did help a race to advance only to have that race challenge them for power instead of peaceful co-existence.
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

EPISODE TITLE: The Great Game
    ERA: TOS

Between the Federation and the Klingon Empire lies a planet which is strategically placed cluster of planets which are ruled by a loose confederation of tribal leaders each of whom control one planet or another.

The PCs have been ordered to make contact with the most powerful of the chiefs who controls the tribal council and get him to allow the Federation to use the cluster as a strategic location for a possible war with the Klingons.

The Klingons are also on the diplomatic offensive and their ambassadors arrive at the same time as the PCs. So its a game of political and diplomatic manuvering and to the winner goes the prize of the cluster. Just remember the Klingons are not above assissnations to get their way.

Title: "Dead Inside"
    Setting: Planetary
    Era: Any

The crew are out to rescue a Napean ship that for some reason violated traffic regulations and went near a restricted planet that was known to be, a generation ago, dabbling with warp-drives, but suddenly dropped into anarchy. It's a planet of tribes/gangs, urban ruins, and rough disposition, and for some unknown reason the Napean ship got near - and then got shot out of the sky by one of the more technologically advanged gangs. Hence, rescue.

The thing that dropped the race into anarchy? They were a telepathic people who thought they could "Evolve" their minds to a new plane of existance - and it worked - but it left their bodies behind. Those people, now neurologically damaged from the "evolution," are psi-blank (unreadable), have no telepathic capablities, and feel their very souls have left their bodies. New children born have the same lack of soul, no new people have developed the gift, and the place is a mess.

The truth is that the "Evolution" separated the telepathic consciousness of the race, which exists in a presence form only of telepathic energy, able to watch, but since the physical race is now psi-blank, they can't communicate. They've been "pulling" the telepathic consciousness out of newborns to raise them instead of leaving them behind in this horrible world. The telepathic beings sent out a telepathic "help!" to the Napean ship, and when it was shot down, some of the aliens possessed the Napean survivors and have since been trying to make things right...

(This was born out of another thread I started on new racial templates, and there's more infor at: http://forum.trekrpg.net/showthread....&threadid=2794 )

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

TITLE: Captain for a Day

This one's suited for a comedic lower decks adventure. Its Boxing Day and since the ship is not performing any vital missions, the Captain decides to honour an ancient tradition and the senior staff switches places with a group of junior officers.

Thrust into the job of Captain as a day the young command officer has to handle all the emergencies that crop up and well some of them border on the downright ridiculous and to teach the junior officers a lesson in responsibliity the senior officers act as if they were junior officers forcing the young officers to take the decisions.

Well of course everything goes well until the ship encounters a "natural disaster" which leaves the junior officers in charge of the ship and the senior staff in precarious positions which require quick thinking by the junior officers to save the CO and the ship.

Perrryyy Guest

Re: captain for a day

M*A*S*H did an episode like this. It was hilarious! If I had a group local to me I'd take this and run with it!

Perrryyy Guest

an IDIC story

Ok, idea.

NOTE: controversial religious topic to follow.

Title: Embrace Diversity
    Era: any

The crew on a planetary exploration mission encounters the Xichians, a race modeled after Christianity. After suffering persecution in their long ago past at the hands of the Magna Romans (or any other race you care to mention), they manage to escape find an M-class planet to inhabit. Problem: their system neighbors the Pagali, a race modeled after Paganism.

The crew's mission: find a way to help one, the other, or possibly both planets peacefully co-exist, despite intolerance on the part of one party (either the Xichians or the Pagali, Narrator's choice) and help both civilizations move toward UFP membership. (As I type this, I realize it might fit better into the "series" thread

Re: Re: captain for a day

Originally posted by Perrryyy
    M*A*S*H did an episode like this. It was hilarious! If I had a group local to me I'd take this and run with it!
    I remember that episode, it was when they made Klinger Colonel wasn't it. I have to confess it was the source of the adventure seed. I haven't played it because my PCs are all senior officers...if someone runs with it, let me know how it turned out.

TITLE: Event Horizon (no relation to the movie of the same name)

The ship while hurrying to bring relief supplies to a devestated colony world accidently pass through the event horizon of a black hole (it was a navigational error caused by the the black hole's interference with the navigational instruments).

Damaged the ship is being dragged into the black hole and due to the time dilation associated with black holes, different parts of the ship are running at different passages of time with the forward section running at several times faster than the rear section with gradations in between. The PCs are split up and as they pass from point to point on the ship find themselves at different time periods its as if the ship has been turned into multiple time zones. Messages to Starfleet and other ships are also running at a different rate so its not very clear when a rescue ship will arrive to save them.

Thanks!

You folks are incredible I just went through and copied all the seeds from this topic onto one huge text file and will mine it heavily for ideas for the new Star Trek game I plan to run (I may start it with Icon and convert it to DecTrek later as I'm getting
    antsy to run some Trek again.)

Here's a seed based on an adventure I actually ran...

TITLE: Return To the Cage
    ERA; Next Generation
    TYPE: Exploration/Counter-Espionage

Starfleet has decided to send a ship and crew to Talos IV, since all signs of intelligent life on the planet seem to have ceased; if there is no need to maintain General Order 7, they will rescind it, as the ships used to maintain the Talos Blockade can be used elsewhere. When they arrive, however, they find they are not alone on the world after all...Romulans are already there, seeking any remnant technology they can use to battle the Federation..and they also are greeted by Captain Christopher Pike..looking healthy and young!

Allen

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by AllenS
    You folks are incredible I just went through and copied all the seeds from this topic onto one huge text file and will mine it heavily for ideas for the new Star Trek game I plan to run (I may start it with Icon and convert it to DecTrek later as I'm getting
    Allen
    Welcome to the best repository of Trek adventure ideas for light years around. As I mentioned earlier, we've all benefited greatly from this thread, several thousand (maybe even million) of manhours must have been put into the total work here and I think we're all proud of what we have done.

Title: "Miracle Strain" (idea outright stolen from book of same name)
    Setting: Any, really
    Timeframe: Any

A "faith healer" is murdered, and upon autopsy by the crew's CMO, it seems he had a strange genetic quirk. Even stranger, the faith healer seems to have done real good while he was alive, including healing two or three people with otherwise incurable illnesses - until they start being murdered, too. The only connection is that they were all treated by the faith healer, and as the crew investigates, they learn that one of the ones being murdered had the strange genetic quirk - a quirk that hadn't been there before they were healed, and developed after.

Truth? If someone is healed by a powerful enough person with this genetic quirk, there's a small chance that you develop the same ability (ie: PSI 1, Range -2, Psionic Healing skill) over a period of the next few weeks/months. The murderer is one of the faith healer's previous patients, who developed this ability, who wants this gift all for himself - a member of Section 31 who feels that these abilties belong only in the Federation - and the Faith healer was healing anyone who truly needed it. To make absolute sure, he's embarked on a "scorched earth" campaign against previous patients of the faith healer. There's a potentially interesting twist here if you have the faith healer having cured one of the crew - and later give that crewmember a latent healing ability.

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by AllenS
    My pleasure to have been a part of this as well This has helped me plan out season 2 of my campaign.

I hope to see it surge back to life soon as we all get reinspired one more time
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations...

Title: Choices
    Setting: Bajor, DS9
    Timeframe: Post Dominion War

I'm paraphrasing this one from the "Bajoran Orbs" thread in the ICON stats forum...

The players head on over to a meeting with First Minister Shakaar Edon and learn that he is consulting the Orb of Choice. It is apparently capable of showing someone a life that they would have lived had they made different choices, and in historical context, was rarely used, most often by leaders of Bajor, to remind them that there are worlds of decisions, and to remain humble, etc.

As the crew walks into the room where Shakaar is looking at the orb - there is a flash and they have a sense of falling - and the world around them changes. Shakaar regretted not pursuing a relationship with Kira, and the orb showed him a life with her, married to her, and he chose that world over the real one. The crew, close enough to the orb, have come along with him, re-writing everything from that point onward. Only they are aware of the changes, everyone else believes this to be the way it always was:

Kira and Shakaar married, and as such, Odo fell to the sway of the female changeling, and it was only the Section-31 disease that finally won the war for the Federation - with a few more months of hostilities before the Founders died, but with a horrible fallout: the Jem'Hadar, Founderless, went rogue, slaying many of the Vorta that controlled them, and while most went insane, some secured White factories of their own. The raids, battles, disasters and destruction was grand, in both sides of the wormhole. But this is the world Shakaar prefers. The crew would have to convince him that this isn't right, and then use the orb to set things right.

As an added twist, bring someone the PCs cared about deeply, but died in the regular timeline, and have them alive and well due to some glitch (the new security officer of DS9 knew emergency first aid or something), and role-play out that particular pain: what if they like this world, too?

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

Title: A Clone of One's Own
    Setting: Any
    Timeframe: Any

A "sworn enemy" of one of the crew manages to get a genetic sample from the crewmember somehow (maybe by hiring someone to pick a fight with the crewmember and stab them nonlethally), and from that point on, people the crewmember cares about deeply keep finding his dead body - killed in ruthless ways. The enemy is cloning the character, not really bothering to implant memories or personality, just slaughtering the clones and leaving them behind as a way to mess with the minds of those the crewmember cares about (this is especially horrible and cruel if said crewmember has young people in his life who could discover the bodies).

Chasing down the villain in this one could be difficult, and involve backtracking from the barfight, and then upon breaking into the villain's bad-guy hideout, having the crewmember trigger a genetically coded sensor and having him beamed away - leaving the other crewmembers to chase after him, and find him among other clones who have been given personalities/memories like the crewmembers - a veritable torture chamber, with clones - and the original - all strung out on display. The inevitable "which one is he?" moment.

What might also be of interest is what to do with any surviving clones - under Federation law, as we saw in that one ep where the guy tried to frame Odo for murder by killing his own clone, clones are considered sentient beings.

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,