Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure Seeds

EPISODE: An Error of Judgment
    ERA: Any
    SCENARIO TYPE: Prime Directive

The CO decides to violate the Prime Directive in a situation where it seems like a good idea. However, once the PD is broken, things go completely to hell and the situation on the planet gets worst than before.

The CO is arrested and charged with violating the PD. The scenario is actually set up as a PD scenario but ends with the CO's court martial.
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

Perrryyy Guest
    Title: Terror in a small world
    Era: Any, but works better Post-TOS (thought you could include Mudd's Androids)

Type: Horror

Mudd or Soong create an android that unfortunately has an unstable personality subroutine or positronic matrix. Said Android escapes his creator, boards a shuttle. Unfortunately, due to his instability, he navigates into an ion storm and is forced to crash land on a mideval-level tech world. The crew is called in to retrieve the android & ease the fears of the locals, who've never seen an android, let alone a crazed one.

Frankenstein, in short.

Well, I've wanted to post here for a while, but forgot most of my good ideas as they are saved on another computer. Anyway, brain fart over, here's a few.

EPISODE: The Leash
    ERA: Post TNG
    SCENARIO TYPE: Adventure(?)

The PC's encounter a damaged Borg scout that, while easily defeated, manages to transport some tech onboard the PC's ship that begins to assimilate systems. There are no drones, just a hardware virus of sorts. The assimilated vessel begins to travel towards a dangerous phenomenon/wormhole that probably damaged the scout, but may also lead to more Borg. Time for the PC's to figure out how to "flush" the system."

EPISODE: Duplicant
    SCENARIO TYPE: Phenomenon

Upon the discovery of a rogue comet the PC's scan a ship buried beneath the surface. They begin to cut it out (ala TNG's "Masks") even though they are drawing dangerously near a temporal phenomenon. To the PC's horror they discover that the ship is their ship with a few million years of history (the comet head kept it somewhat "preserved"). They find themselves trapped in said phenomenon and their only hope of escape seems to be canabalizing parts from their current ship to fix up the duplicant (surprisingly missing those parts), transport everyone on board, and get outa there. (this scenario needs a bit of work, such as why the duplicant can escape and not the original, but I really like the idea).

EPISODE: Dark City
    SCENARIO TYPE: Away Team

Based loosely on the movie of the same name, the PC's ship discovers an apparently uninhabited city on an otherwise barren world. An away team gets stuck inside a holographic "experiment" in the city that slowly degrades their memory. Finding the source/"scientists" that started the experiement would be their primary concern, but messing with their memories will make it very difficult (perhaps even start the session off already in the Dark City with "generic" characters without personalities for the PC's to play. They would later discover that they are just playing each others' characters without any personality). Anyone still on the ship has to try and get them out with a nasty forcefield in the way.

EPISODE: Plague
    SCENARIO TYPE: Prime Directive

Sorta based on other ideas I've seen on the boards, but this one deals with a Cardassian crash on a pre-warp world. Biochemicals spill from the site infecting the locals, and as the world falls within Federation space, Starfleet decides to pick up the pieces and try and fix the deadly infection (ebola on steroids? with medieval tech? nasty!).

EPISODE TITLE: Gunboat Diplomacy

A newly admitted Federation member has a somewhat militant culture and maintains a fairly big standing navy...while no match for Starfleet vessels these ships are relatively powerful.

A neighbouring world is a non-Federation member, due to the anarchy in its government, it can't even apply. Anyway, in one incident merchants from the new member are killed.

Invoking the right to protect its own citizens, the new member deploys a small squadron of ships to the non-member world and threatens retaliatory strikes if the perpetrators are not handed over.

The Federation reacts and sends to PCs to mediate. They have to prevent a possible war but may have to fight against a member world to do so.

EPISODE TITLE: The Sleeper
    ERA: Post Dominion War

After the end of the Dominion War, the Cardassians and Federation conduct an exhcange of prisoners. One of hte prisoners is a Starfleet officer listed as MIA from the days of the Cardassian Wars. Apparently he was not exhcanged after the War due to a "bureaucratic oversight". EVIL GRIN.

Anyway, after being debriefed by Starfleet Intelligence he is cleared to return to duty. However he is really a Odsidian Order sleeper agent. During a delicate mission to negotiate the return of occupied Cardassian worlds back to the Union he is activated by the Obsidian Order to disrupt the talks. He begins acting strangely and his crewmates have to find out why and stop him...

Title: "Sufficiently Advanced"
    Era: TNG
    Setting: Exploration of a planet

The crew, exploring a planet with a mythology much like the Klingon's (ie: we overthrew and killed/drove off our Gods), stumble into the "last battle temple" and then - whoosh - they're on another planet, having accidentally stumbled through a gate! Once there, they find the Gods are alive and well, lording it over a different race (though some of the race that was on the planet of origin is also there, and much interspecies mixing has occurred). Though it shouldn't take the crew long to realize these "Gods" are just people with high technology, using the Iconian gate to get back home is another story...

Who the 'Gods' are I leave to you - remnants of Iconians, perhaps - people like either of the races, with a slight DNA trace of something different that could be Iconian DNA - the ancestors of a long-ago Iconian outpost, perhaps, who stayed behind on this planet as one of the few places where the inhabitants weren't rebellious enough, and no one came and blasted them from space...

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

Title: "Missing, presumed Destroyed"
    Setting: Starship
    Era: TNG onward

In testing a new impulse drive that could theoretically garner the Federation a bit of an advantage in combat, an impulse drive that actually uses a fraction of a power injection from the warp engines, the ship that the crew are on (the testbed ship) apparently explodes in a subspace fire and is gone, all hands lost.

Actually, a cloaked pseudo-Fed ship built by the Romulans was specifically made, got nearby, beamed the Rommies over to the testbed ship, and disrupted the engines in a way they figured would shoot the Fed testbed ship off at high warp to a location where they could meet up with other Rommies and reverse engineer the new engines. The pseudo-Fed ship was set to self-destruct at that moment: to look like the Fed ship just blew up.

Alas, the Rommie tampering has had a rather unfortunate effect: the warp/impulse mix got a little shaky, and the warp-sling effect the Romulans were going for didn't work out right, and now they're behind enemy lines in a really bad way: they're in the Taurhai Unity. Oops. First the Fed have to take their ship back, but with some Romulans aboard, and they're the only ones who've been where they are now...

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

Title: "The ENgines of God," (Stolen from the Jack McDevitt novel, which is a great read BTW)
    Era: Any
    Setting: Exploration Starship

The ship arrives in an area where living civilizations have been wiped out in many systems, and in systems that are low-tech, been left untouched. Borg? No, not their style, and the planets that have been hit were hit in a strange way, destruction of geometric shapes that are unnatural to the environment (ie: a tree left alive, a skyscraper blown to bits). On some of these worlds' moons, there are large geometric "stonehenges" set up - a lure for whatever seemed to come along and destroy the systems?

Just as the crew are about to give up, they find records on a planet whose inhabitants lived inside mountains as a holy tradition - the mountainous habitats were safe during the "Firing of the Engines of God," and some survived: they noticed, over the generations, that there was a cycle to the destruction: say, every 138 years or something. And from the various ruins' bits and pieces of sculpture and records, there's a place in the sky from which the destruction comes: a black nebula. And gosh, it's coming up right about... now.

Too bad the ship is a geometric shape.

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

Title: "Searching through the Ruins..."
    Era: Any TNG or later
    Setting: Exploration, Defense, Starship

After a Metagenic weapon goes off on a colony world, the place is left dead, and the metagenic effect leaves sensors nearly useless. The crew go down in a shuttle to investigate the attack: to find out who attacked, and what it is they took from the planet after the attack ended. Unfortunately, whatever the thing was the planet was attacked for, the colonists hid it well, and the bad guys are still here looking for it: they're not going to play nice, either.

This'd be a really creepy adventure: sort of a ruins under dark metagenic-affected rainclouds, colony empty, no power running, like exploring a dark, cold, damp giant city/mall with the vague feeling that someone is following you.

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

Perrryyy Guest

Where do you get your ideas?

Nathan, where in the heck do you get your ideas from? I can write 'half-ideas', but I'm amazed at some of the stuff you & others come up with! I guess it'd be different if I had a gaming group & the proper Narrator's guides... *sigh*

Originally posted by Michael Barratt
    Title: "The ENgines of God," (Stolen from the Jack McDevitt novel, which is a great read BTW)
    Era: Any
    Setting: Exploration Starship

The ship arrives in an area where living civilizations have been wiped out in many systems, and in systems that are low-tech, been left untouched. Borg? No, not their style,
    A valid idea... But this statement is not 'technically' correct... this is exactly the Borgs style, take the technology but not bother about Low Tech... Always had been from TNG through to Voyager... At least not without ulterior motive ie; low tech earth was as a result of high tech earth, etc.

Of course that simply throws in a red herring to scare the players before they hit the real plot... (and get scared again).
    Last edited by Dan Gurden; 12-11-2001 at 03:37 AM.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

OK, its been a while since I added a plot to this thread. So.

Title: Return to Reunification
    Era: Post DS9/Guest Appearance.
    Setting: Starship, probably a Romulan One.

In the warm post war alliance between the Romulans and Federation the moderates have taken hold in the Romulan Empire, and while they are unwilling to return to Vulcan themselves they are far more open to exploring their cu;tural hisory and allowing the dissidents to re-unify... Cutting the dead wood so to speak...

And so Ambassador Spock finds himself rendevousing along the neutral zone in a Romulan transport with the players.

The players are assigned to take the ship to Vulcan, replacing the Star Navy crew at the border. The freighter is old and no secrets can be had from it, but would be good for some Romulan 'Culture Shock'... As would Spock for the old 'Cowboy Fleet' way of doing things...

The players also have a secondary mission. To vet the dissidents and Romulan cultural exchange scientists for potential spies and infiltrators (just because theres an alliance trust is not total)... Play up the Paranoia...

Complications...
    - Maybe theres an extremist dissident among the group on the run from crimes commited in the name of freedom, maybe an undercover Tal Shiar guy trying to find him...
    - The obligitary agent trying to find a nice easy way into the Federation.
    - For a change. How about 'Federation First' a political movement within the Federation steeled by war andfirm in the belief that the Romulans are using and abusing the good relationships... Maybe they have extremists of their own who have access to a starship and want to stop the influx...

Or any others... Enjoy.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Originally posted by Dan Gurden
    A valid idea... But this statement is not 'technically' correct... this is exactly the Borgs style, take the technology but not bother about Low Tech... Always had been from TNG through to Voyager... At least not without ulterior motive ie; low tech earth was as a result of high tech earth, etc.

Of course that simply throws in a red herring to scare the players before they hit the real plot... (and get scared again).
    Oops, that's my error: I meant that the total destruction of the planets isn't Borg-like in style: it's more scorch-the-planet than assimilate and steal: no big square scoops out of the planet, just crumbling ruins. Nothing was *taken*. But the order of the sentences I put should have left the "low-tech" sentence until after I said "nada" on the Borg Style. Oops.

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

Re: Where do you get your ideas?

Originally posted by Perrryyy
    Nathan, where in the heck do you get your ideas from? I can write 'half-ideas', but I'm amazed at some of the stuff you & others come up with! I guess it'd be different if I had a gaming group & the proper Narrator's guides... *sigh*
    I read a lot. That sounds stupid, now that I say it, but. A lot of my ideas come from books I've read, SF or otherwise. I try my best to point out when the adventure seed is taken from a book I read, so I hope no authors hate me right now.

I also have really, really vivid dreams (when I was a kid, I was a mess, I had nightmares nearly every night, woke up screaming, etc). I learned lucid dreaming (dream control) and some of the places my nightly visits go are fodder for adventures or short stories.

Basically, I just "borrow" (ie: steal) from other sources. The newspaper, television, books mostly. Usually that gives me the basic conflict, then I try to find a way to mask the conflict as something else (and give the players something to uncover). And that's about it...

Working in a bookstore is also a biggie. I can read the back "Teasers" on SF novels, and come up with an entire adventure, and then read the book and find out I went in the opposite direction than the author did.

'Nathan / The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

Title: ?
    Era: Post TNG/Guest Appearance.
    Type: Starship Hunt

The Enterprise-E is stolen (shock, horror) and the PC's ship plays host to Picard et al in a massive hunt for the perps (probably Rommies or very well funded mercs). The trick is to play the "established" characters in such a way that they rub your crew the wrong way, and then give your crew the better clues so they end up saving the day.

I had this idea a while ago as an "intro" adventure that would be loads of fun as an investigative hunt. However it also makes a great "guest appearance" and in the end allows the PC's to believe they're just as good if not better than the "Enterprise" crew.